A bus information kiosk near to the Queens Hotel.

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

BIG N wrote: Leodian wrote: Hi buffaloskinner. That has got me worried! I thought I may be a year or two out but not at least 30 years!     Dont want to scare you Leodian but I've been in Leeds 27 years and I cant ever recall an information hut in front of the Queens Hanging my head in shame here - as an LCT/Metro employee till 1986 - but I can't remember when it was removed altogether. I can though recall, I think, that it was originally slightly further north of the Queens and a few yards east too - with a better view of the Station exit road and of Bishopgate Street.It was staffed by former conductors/conductresses of varying degrees of dedication, some dispensing helpful information to passengers while others were positively hostile and confusing - Amber will no doubt remember some of each category One in particular would finish her page of "Woman's Weekly" before sliding open the window and glowering "Yus !!" I once had to tick her off after I'd chased a passenger to put him right. He'd asked where he could get a number 11 - indicating Mill Hill Chapel with her thumb she bellowed "over there" before slamming her window shut. Said I sternly when I returned "You might have asked him if he wanted Swinnow or Whinmoor !!"Another lady, good natured and determined to be helpful, would answer all enquiries with a tirade of "staff slang" data and 360 degree arm waving which would have had even a schedules compiler dizzy, for example :- "Right love - you've got yer 42 at 27 and 57, yer 66 at 15 and 45, then yer 40 man comes at 5 and 35, yer 15 man at at 22 and 52, yer 16 man at 7 and 37 - there's plenty luv !!" Usually managing to mutter a bewildered "thank you" the would be passengers would totter away for a rest in the City square island before trying again elsewhere. I know I've put this a bit humorously but its as near the truth as you could get. Happy days     
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Nice recollections Blakey In all honesty we've taken a step backwards in helping people get about the City, the kiosks might not have been the best, but has anyone tried finding a bus route or where to catch a bus using the First Bus 'journey planner'Take a look at this for instance,http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/leeds/j ... rce=spHuge parts of the route are missing, you end up guessing what route the bus might take, which doesn't help if there are a few buses on that route and some detour around the houses. From Middleton Thorpe Lane to it's destination at Gledhow at the far end of the City you have 5 locations to help you try work out the route it might take...FIVE!!Looking at that timetable you'd have no idea the bus went to Oakwood Clock, you'd think it went along Harehills Lane like it's listed, which in fact it doesn't go along Harehills Lane at all, it goes past it. The whole of the First Bus Leeds timetables are like that...RUBBISH!    
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Leeds City Square by cliffordstead on FlickrHere's a better view of how things were in the 70's.City Square Bus Shelter Leeds by popmanstensgaard on FlickrAnd by the early 80's it's changed again. The funny thing is I can recall both views vividly. But I haven't a clue how it looks today, the whole of Leeds just seems to be pretty soulless in all honesty.    
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Untitled[/url] by phill.d, on FlickrHere's a shot from the Queens Hotel, what is clear is how they seem to have destroyed City Square over the years, they've made it smaller until it can only be described as a wide corner pavement and non existent as a focal point.Progress?? Huhm debatable!!        

Si

Post by Si »

1924 aerial view from Leodis showing (original?) larger layout.No sign of the kiosk!
Attachments
__TFMF_tlf31i55ripypz55hgg2a1fz_71668903-df45-476e-922a-e2e7d0971e20_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_tlf31i55ripypz55hgg2a1fz_71668903-df45-476e-922a-e2e7d0971e20_0_main.jpg (82.89 KiB) Viewed 2090 times

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Si wrote: 1924 aerial view from Leodis showing (original?) larger layout.No sign of the kiosk! What a stupendous picture Si, full of "atmosphere" and interesting features. The magnificent Majestic Cinema/ballroom/restaurant was obviously absolutely brand new at that time.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Phill_dvsn wrote: Here's a 1974 shot, same kiosk but is has moved as Leodian rightly says!http://tinyurl.com/83rku3n Oh dear, I'm completely flummoxed now - I did think that it may have moved slightly at some time, although I couldn't actually remember that happening - but having now seen this picture I'm sure that's exactly where it always was - with a good close view of the New Station Street exit and just a hint of the top of Bishopgate Street.

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

Poor old Edward of Woodstock. Once had his position proud in the center of city square, now relegated to the outskirts.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

amber

Post by amber »

I think it was about 1988 when it was removed. I was in a meeting with the directors when the chairman Mr GWC announced the closure of the Briggate and City Square kiosks and the point Inspectors would be no more. This was the beginning of a public service bus company only concerned with profits not the service which it still is to this day. I was lucky enough retire the following year and leave a job which I had enjoyed for 30 years before deregulation

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Cheers all for the replies. I had forgotton that there used to be a bus information kiosk on Briggate. I have found this link to an image in Leodis that shows one there in 1991. http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... 1_69524783    
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.