More useless info:::::
This historic pub, close to Leeds train station, stands on the site where, in former days, there was a moated Medieval manor house.
From its roots as a Medieval manor house, the building that houses the Scarbrough Hotel has had many occupants, including Christopher Wilson, the Bishop of Bristol.
Henry Scarbrough took the property in 1826, which became the Kings Arms - an extensive hotel patronised by many distinguished guests and visitors to the town. The hotel prospered until about 1863 when the railway viaduct and Queens Hotel were built nearby.
This was the end for the hotel, but the beginning of a great connection with the Music Hall - the Kings Arms gained fame when taken over in the late 1890s by Fred Wood, who also owned the Leeds City Varieties. Fred Wood established the Scarbrough Hotel Public House, named after Henry Scarbrough, in place of the Kings Arms.
At that time, the Scarbrough boasted a large concert hall and Fred Wood organised and held talent nights there. Any act showing promise was put on at the City Varieties.
There is a tiled faience at ground floor. Raised tiled lettering, green on gold: 'IND, COOPE'S BURTON ALES'. On the parapet at roof level in raised stone: 'IND, COOPE'S ALES'
Is this the end of the story ...
or the beginning of a legend?
- Posts: 817
- Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:02 pm
- Location: Nova Scotia