Re: World famous Leeds Brick collectors club

Postby snowman1 » Thu 09 Feb, 2017 4:00 pm

hi warringtonrhino
thanks for the info re -the half round brick
sm1
Leodian

Postby Leodian » Sun 02 Sep, 2018 1:24 pm

As you walk on the footway by the road that runs over the River Aire in the Dark Arches you walk over very many bricks that have 'Electric' on them. They might simply be covering electricity cables but that may be unlikely on safety concerns. I wonder therefore if there was a local brickworks that produced 'Electric' bricks'? I've done some searching but did not readily find any relevant result.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.
jim

Postby jim » Sun 02 Sep, 2018 2:22 pm

The station underground area contained a high tension sub-station in an arch, and two stand-by generator sets which automatically started up following any power failure in another srch. They were set to start within a few seconds of any problem. Both provisions were maintained by the department which I worked for throughout my working life. Electricity was also required in the area of the station bounded by the river and the canal. There is no problem with running electricity supplies underground, or under roads, provided rules are followed. It is likely that the bricks were laid intentionally to warn road repair teams to be careful
Leodian

Postby Leodian » Sun 02 Sep, 2018 7:48 pm

Thanks Jim for that very interesting information :).

Leodian

Postby Leodian » Fri 07 Sep, 2018 1:10 pm

I thought (hoped ;)) it would be of interest to show the 'Electric' bricks so these are 2 photos that I took on September 6 2018. The first is a close-up of some of the bricks and the second shows the footway and roadway that cross over the River Aire in the Dark Arches, Leeds (the bright lights change colour regularly and have been a feature in the Dark Arches for some while now).
BricksOnFootwayOverRiverAireDarkArchesLeedsSept062018..jpg
BricksOnFootwayOverRiverAireDarkArchesLeedsSept062018..jpg (102.88 KiB) Viewed 285 times

FootwayRoadwayOverRiverAireDarkArchesLeedsSept062018..jpg
FootwayRoadwayOverRiverAireDarkArchesLeedsSept062018..jpg (115.16 KiB) Viewed 285 times

Return to