Quarry Hill, World War 2, Adel Woods Bunkers, and Hitler!

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
TomD

Post by TomD »

I dont really remember Quarry Hill in all of its glory (im only 23!), but somebody once told me it was a very significate site for Hitler's plan of world domination!I've never actually been in it to great depths, but I have heard that the Adel Woods bunker is absolutley ginormous! I know the woods pretty well from growing up around there, and I know of pillboxes and bits and bobs stretching from the Ring Road side all the way up to and beyond Stairfoot Lane. Legend around my end claims that the bunkers were commissioned to be a base for the UK Goverment to go in case the South of England was taken.Quarry Hill was a pretty serious bombing target during ww2, but I also hear that, should Hitler triumph and conquer the UK, he was going to move the Capital city from London to Leeds (more central, makes sense)Anyone know if this is a load of rubbish?

wickedwitch

Post by wickedwitch »

I've heard that too about Quarry Hill but don't know if it's true. I actually work in Quarry House and have heard a similar rumour (not through work though) about there being some secret nuclear bunker underneath that. I don't believe it for a minute though! There's an underground car park on 2 levels but that's about it. Mind you - if it does exist then I'm nowhere near important enough to get to use it so I probably wouldn't get to know about it!! Still sounds highly improbable to me though.

Ro-Man

Post by Ro-Man »

The large Adel Woods bunker has all the evidence pointing to a non-miltary use (see bunker thread for proof and full info). There are other bits and bobs scattered through the woods though. As I mentioned on the other thread the rumour doing the rounds when I was a lad was there was something under the large grassy area next to King Lane and the Buckstone Estate. If you've any more info on this that would be interesting.As for Hitler's capital city moving to Leeds. He didn't move any other capital city in the areas he invaded so I think this would be highly unlikely. Plus the Nazis operated a "Gau" system of administration where a regional Nazi leader was appointed to every area and city, so most things could be controlled very tightly anyway.As much as I would like it to be, I can't see the fame of Leeds being enough throughout Europe to have the propaganda value for him. You know the sort of thing - Hitler poses in front of the Eiffel Tower, Hitler poses in front the Brandenburg Gate, Hitler poses in front of Leeds Town Hall - sadly it doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Actually there's a fair bit of credibility to Quarry hill been Hitlers headquartes. It's been documented on @ least two credible programmes i've seen on t.v. He admired the architechture & the layout of the place was a formidible line of defence according to what i've seen. All is irrelevant tho! The bosch didn't like it up em & we give em just that thanks to the brylcreem boys in the battle of Britain.
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

TomD

Post by TomD »

I was trying to find out about the Bunkers and came across the photos on leodis of the construction of the adel sewer.could the buildings and bunkers be anything to do with that massive engineering undertaking?

jojo

Post by jojo »

hiyeah its true that he wanted Quarry hill. that is why leeds didn't get bombed like other citys. he wanted leeds intacted after the war.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Leeds didnt get as much bombing as other cities because it had very little heavy industry, nothing to do with Quarry Hill.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

jojo

Post by jojo »

part true. but im right, Hitler didn't want to pay for it to be re-built

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

I've heard this story a few times too.Apparently Quarry Hill flats weren't just right up Adolph's street designwise, they were also handily placed for Marsh Street Goods Yard where he intended to park his armoured train.Whilst the flats may have looked impressive from the air, I can't help but feel he might have been a bit dissapointed with the interior layout.It has always been a mystery why Leeds escaped much of the bombing that befell other cities. Whilst we didn't have the steelmills of Sheffield or the production lines of Coventry, there was still Avroes at Yeadon and the Royal Ordnance at Barnbow which would have been massive military targets, plus all the tailoring firms making uniforms (how could the armed forced fight with nowt to wear?), plus all the heavy industry around Holbeck and Hunslet.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

Also Hitler had a typical "napoleon" mentality, in that he was quite happy to invade a country, but did not have the slightest interest in administering it hence the gauleiter system. i think you will find leeds was very low on his list of priorities if not at all.