Working Mens Clubs

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Leeds-lad
PostsCOLON 347
JoinedCOLON Wed 30 Apr, 2008 5:30 pm

Postby Leeds-lad » Sun 08 Jun, 2008 8:53 pm

Such a lot of WM clubs have gone to the wall over the years,I just wondered if any one had any fond/not so fond memories of any particular ones.
Does any one have any thoughts or memories of Hall Rd WMC.Armley? I used to love it before it went bust & then burned down.
"always expect the unexpected"
Trojan
PostsCOLON 1990
JoinedCOLON Sat 22 Dec, 2007 3:54 pm

Postby Trojan » Sun 08 Jun, 2008 11:37 pm

I used to be a member of Morley Working Mens Club (Fountain Street) in the sixties, we used to go and listen to a band on Saturday nights and drink Club Bitter, which was brewed by the Clubs United Brewery in York - it was cheap and it was strong. We used to joke "we'll be glad when we had enough of this stuff" I think the Club Brewery was taken over by the Fed - BTW does that still exist?
Industria Omnia Vincit
Pashy
PostsCOLON 49
JoinedCOLON Thu 16 Aug, 2007 4:51 am

Postby Pashy » Mon 09 Jun, 2008 4:24 am

Hi Leeds Lad

My father who lived in Armley in the 30s told me that my grandfather played the piano at Hall Rd WMC for the Jarrow Marchers.
The club along with others put the Marchers up overnight and fed them even though they had buggerall themselves.
Keep the red flag flying.
Cheers
Andy
jeffn
PostsCOLON 54
JoinedCOLON Fri 04 May, 2007 1:12 am

Postby jeffn » Mon 09 Jun, 2008 6:05 am

I played a few games for Gipton WMC under 18's in the early 70's, always amused me that we'd all get served after the game when none of us were at drinking age . . .
i know i was sub on feb 23rd '74 'cos leeds were leading stoke 2-0, then i got sent on as sub, later on found out the winning run had ended 3-2 Angry

FLOJO
PostsCOLON 160
JoinedCOLON Sun 01 Jun, 2008 6:46 am

Postby FLOJO » Mon 09 Jun, 2008 6:59 am

Leeds-lad wrote:
Such a lot of WM clubs have gone to the wall over the years,I just wondered if any one had any fond/not so fond memories of any particular ones.
Does any one have any thoughts or memories of Hall Rd WMC.Armley? I used to love it before it went bust & then burned down.

Hi Nick I used to go to Swarcliffe working mans club in the 60s with my father usually Sunday lunchtimes,I think my mother liked me to go so he would not stay too long,I was areal daddys girl but stopped going because my fathers relative Walter was concert secretary and made me give my seat up because I was family and he would not dare ask any one else.
Ex Leeds Lass
Tasa
PostsCOLON 826
JoinedCOLON Mon 08 Oct, 2007 11:11 am

Postby Tasa » Mon 09 Jun, 2008 10:51 am

Does anyone remember the Trades Hall Club in Upper Fountaine Street (now buried in The Light) just off the Headrow? That was my parents' regular haunt at weekends. It closed in the late 60s, I think. I used to get the autographs of all the "star turns" who played there - unfortunately, none of them became famous so I didn't make my fortune! There was a really good atmosphere there (also smoky, but that was part of the charm in those days) and people used to bring their own sandwiches to share round between the turn and the Bingo.

Our cat used to follow us to the club (we lived in town) and wait for us when we came out, usually jumping out from between some railings, presumably having had a good couple of hours' mousing! So, a good night was had by all!    
drapesy
PostsCOLON 2614
JoinedCOLON Sat 24 Feb, 2007 4:50 pm

Postby drapesy » Mon 09 Jun, 2008 5:57 pm

Tasa wrote:
Does anyone remember the Trades Hall Club in Upper Fountaine Street (now buried in The Light) just off the Headrow? That was my parents' regular haunt at weekends. It closed in the late 60s, I think. I used to get the autographs of all the "star turns" who played there - unfortunately, none of them became famous so I didn't make my fortune! There was a really good atmosphere there (also smoky, but that was part of the charm in those days) and people used to bring their own sandwiches to share round between the turn and the Bingo.

Our cat used to follow us to the club (we lived in town) and wait for us when we came out, usually jumping out from between some railings, presumably having had a good couple of hours' mousing! So, a good night was had by all!    

I think it lasted a little longer than that, I remember playing snooker there - I would guess around 1972 or even 1973. It then moved to Chapeltown(Savile Mt) - dont know if it still operates.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Brandy
PostsCOLON 1550
JoinedCOLON Wed 21 Feb, 2007 8:03 am

Postby Brandy » Mon 09 Jun, 2008 6:58 pm

jeffn wrote:
I played a few games for Gipton WMC under 18's in the early 70's, always amused me that we'd all get served after the game when none of us were at drinking age . . .
i know i was sub on feb 23rd '74 'cos leeds were leading stoke 2-0, then i got sent on as sub, later on found out the winning run had ended 3-2 Angry


the way the gipton WMC is nowadays i think you must have to be under 18 to actually get served!
it seems to have been turned into some kind of booze swilling youth club, all the local scumbags who used to hang around outside the shops are now the patrons of the club.
There are only 10 types of people in the world -
those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Leeds-lad
PostsCOLON 347
JoinedCOLON Wed 30 Apr, 2008 5:30 pm

Postby Leeds-lad » Thu 12 Jun, 2008 9:08 pm

Pashy wrote:
Hi Leeds Lad

My father who lived in Armley in the 30s told me that my grandfather played the piano at Hall Rd WMC for the Jarrow Marchers.
The club along with others put the Marchers up overnight and fed them even though they had buggerall themselves.
Keep the red flag flying.
Cheers
Andy

Hi Pashy,nice to hear that little piece of info,never heard that story before.I also used to like going to Jim Windsor's club in Leeds.Jim Windsor was a bookie,my great grandad used to be one of his runners many moons ago when they lived in Kirkstall
"always expect the unexpected"
ggbix
PostsCOLON 22
JoinedCOLON Wed 13 Feb, 2008 4:44 am

Postby ggbix » Fri 13 Jun, 2008 11:35 am

FLOJO wrote:
Leeds-lad wrote:
Such a lot of WM clubs have gone to the wall over the years,I just wondered if any one had any fond/not so fond memories of any particular ones.
Does any one have any thoughts or memories of Hall Rd WMC.Armley? I used to love it before it went bust & then burned down.

Hi Nick I used to go to Swarcliffe working mans club in the 60s with my father usually Sunday lunchtimes,I think my mother liked me to go so he would not stay too long,I was areal daddys girl but stopped going because my fathers relative Walter was concert secretary and made me give my seat up because I was family and he would not dare ask any one else.


Hi, I used to go to Swarcliffe WMC in the 60's as well, this was at the time before the building was extended. When I first went it was just the smaller building with the rounded roof which you can still see today and also where the extension starts.
I believe the club secretary there at that time and into the 70's was a guy call 'Micklethwaite' I may be wrong.
I remember the resident organist and drummer, father and son team, drummer was Graham, just can't think of organist's name, was it 'Walt'?.
You could hear a pin drop during Bingo, then as soon as it was over and a good turn came on all the women were at it like gannett's on a cliff. I saw a few turns walk off because of it. Best turn there was Charlie Williams, the black Barnsley comedian who brought the place down.
Regarding the seating, I used to refuse to move when women came up and said 'we always sit at this table', caused quite a few arguments that did but I stood my ground and just got the 'looks' all night.

Return to





Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 0 and 0 guests