Famous Sons of Leeds

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
majorhoundii

Post by majorhoundii »

Tom Jenkins - I can just remember his broadcasts on Sunday nights.http://wakefieldfhs.org.uk/morleyfhg/Jenkins%20bio.htm

Caron

Post by Caron »

Jake Thakray

kango

Post by kango »

Caron wrote: Jake Thakray More likely born in Clifford west Yorks then moved to leeds I would have thought, a post on this website seems to confirm it.http://www.jakethackray.com/forum/5-off ... place.html    

jdbythesea

Post by jdbythesea »

I saw an article in the sports pages the other day about the Italian footballer Mario Balotelli. The article alleged that he had been found smoking a cigarette(?) in the WC on board a train/plane.My mind wandered off to an old 1970 photo of Jack Charlton (OK, only an adopted son of Leeds) on the training ground in full LUFC kit. He was puffing away on a tab without a care in the world.My, how things have changed.http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/jdbyt ... sort=3&o=1(Click on the left arrow)

majorhoundii

Post by majorhoundii »

jdbythesea wrote: I saw an article in the sports pages the other day about the Italian footballer Mario Balotelli. The article alleged that he had been found smoking a cigarette(?) in the WC on board a train/plane.My mind wandered off to an old 1970 photo of Jack Charlton (OK, only an adopted son of Leeds) on the training ground in full LUFC kit. He was puffing away on a tab without a care in the world.My, how things have changed.http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/jdbyt ... sort=3&o=1(Click on the left arrow) Jack Charlton is the only pro footballer I've ever seen at close quarters. And I've seen him three times. The first was in Morley WMC, just after the 1970 Word Cup, he was brown as a berry and as you say puffing away on a tab. The next time was at LBA, he was on the same flight as me to Dublin and he was clearly going fishing. The last time was at Kings X - we were going into the buffet and could hear this loud Geordie voice outside, he was sat in the middle of the buffet bellowing into a mobile phone surrounded by suitcases!

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Didn't really know where to put this..Leeds 1/2 marathon this weekend so don't get caught uphopefully link to mapTown Hall>Meanwood Rd>Stonegate Rd>left @ Sainsbury>ring road>Otley Rd>Spen Lane>left at ring road>Hawksworth rd>Abbey Rd > Kirkstall Rd> Town hall.http://www.forallevents.co.uk/uploads/F ... 37F0D2.jpg

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

James Frain - Royal Shakespeare Company, Broadway and Hollywood actor, currently starring as the Machiavellian Lord Warwick "the Kingmaker" in the BBC's The White Queen on Sunday nights was born in Leeds: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Frain
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

Born in Park Square. His old man was mates with Turner, as in 'Fighting Temeraire'. One for the aesthetes on Secret Leeds. Well, for the ones who like art. Should it be called proper art?Can't find anything on here already about this chap anyway, who seems to have had a pretty dismal boyhood and youth until he set off for Paris and Florence and then never looked back. Looks like he never returned to Leeds either.Here he is...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_West_Cope

biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

salt 'n pepper wrote: ...... Looks like he never returned to Leeds either. That was a bit hasty of me. There's something on the Wiki page about his work for St George's Church and this is also mentioned in his obituary which was published in the Times, talking of which.....OBITUARYThe Times, Wednesday, August 27, 1890It is with regret that we have to record the death of Charles West Cope RA, well-known in the last generation as a painter of historical and domestic scenes. Mr Cope was the son of a painter of no mean reputation and was born in Leeds in 1811. He came to London and first learned of Mr Sass, after which he worked at the RA. After a residence of two years in Italy, on return to these shores his picture of The Holy Family attracted considerable attention, and was purchased by the art patron Mr Beckford. He began to exhibit at the Royal Academy in 1833. In 1836 Hagar and Ishmael was executed, followed by The Cronies and Paolo and Francesca in 1837, with Osteria Di Campagne, near Rome in 1838, and The Flemish Mother in 1839. Following closely on these pictures, others were painted, notably Help thy Father in his Age, Almsgiving, Poor Law Guardians. He also painted a considerable number of pictures from the poets, such as The Schoolmaster Goldsmith Hope - her silent watch the Mother Keeps, The Hawthorn Bush, and The Cotter’s Saturday Night.In 1843 he entered the Westminster Hall competition, and his capital cartoon of First Trial by Jury gained a £300 prize. The following year found him in another competition for fresco designs, and his success with The Meeting of Joseph and Rachel procured for him a commission of one of the six frescoes for the new House of Lords. Edward the Black Prince of 1845 was followed by a commission from Prince Albert for The last days of Cardinal Wolsey. Having been elected an Associate of the Royal Academy in 1844 he was in 1848 an Academician. Besides other pictures in the New Palace he produced others of a domestic character, among them being The Young Mother, Girl at Prayer, Maiden Meditation, First Born, Creeping Like a Snail Unwillingly to School. Among others may be mentioned King Lear and Ophelia, Royal Prisoners, Departure of the Pilgrim Fathers, Upward Gazing, Repose, Convalescent, Scholar’s mate.He worked on some eight frescoes for the Peers corridor of the Houses of Parliament. The subjects are The Raising of the Royal Standard, The Defence of Basing House, The Burial of Charles the First, Speaker Leathall Asserting the Privileges of the House of Commons. Since completion of the last named works Mr Cope has exhibited many pictures at the Royal Academy, the chief names being Shylock and Jessica 1867, Othello Relating his Adventures 1868, Home Dreams, 1869, Gentle and Simple, 1871.Mr Cope was not forgetful of his birthplace, for he presented an Altar-Piece for St George’s Church, Leeds where it has stood since 1839 as a memorial. Mr Cope was an original member of the Etching Club, and his plate The Life Class of the Royal Academy ranks as one of the most vigorous subjects ever etched by an Englishman. Mr Cope was Professor of Painting at the Royal Academy from 1867 to 1874, and was a trustee of that body. He resided at Cranford-rise in Maidenhead, but died on Thursday last at Bournemouth in his eightieth year, leaving a widow and several sons to mourn him.Source:These articles have been reprinted with the kind permission of Paul Ripley, from his website: Victorian Art in Britain.

johnnyg

Post by johnnyg »

Here is Cope's altarpiece from St George's church.
Attachments
The Lord above 65.jpg
The Lord above 65.jpg (435.85 KiB) Viewed 2808 times