Cocidius - trying to find incised relief

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
Suvi

Post by Suvi »

Cocidius is a celtic god and there is a incised relief of him into a rock at Adel Crags which is proving impossible to find. Do you know where it is please. Many thanks Suvi

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Suvi wrote: Cocidius is a celtic god and there is a incised relief of him into a rock at Adel Crags which is proving impossible to find. Do you know where it is please. Many thanks Suvi yes,but to stop idiots defacing or damaging it I don't tell people.it is a rare Pagan carving so archaeologists etc. don't want it generally known about to stop it being damaged or worse still chiselled away.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

I think there are some photos of the carving on The Northern Antiquarian website, but I agree with Steve Jones in that its best not to disclose the actual location because of vandals etc. Someone would have it on Ebay!    
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

Suvi

Post by Suvi »

I'm pagan and fully understand you reasoning. Thanks for responding, it means it is there

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

Hi Suvi, I dont mean to be nosey but how are you actually Pagan? Its something I've always been interested in, but I've never known anyone who actually claimed to be Pagan themselves. I know there are people who call themselves Pagan, I'm not mocking you in any way, would you mind explaining to be how you got into it and what things you do please?
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

jonleeds wrote: Hi Suvi, I dont mean to be nosey but how are you actually Pagan? Its something I've always been interested in, but I've never known anyone who actually claimed to be Pagan themselves. I know there are people who call themselves Pagan, I'm not mocking you in any way, would you mind explaining to be how you got into it and what things you do please? You obviously haven't been paying attention Jon <LOL> as i am Pagan and have mentioned it a lot on here.I run the West Yorkshire Pagan Meetup site as well as Wakefield Pagan Moot.Pagan is an umbrella term used to cover a range of beliefs (in the same way Christian incorporates many different ideas).Pagans tend to respect nature and the duality of things thus a God & a Goddess in Wicca or gods&goddesses in those who worship pantheons such as the Celtic or Germanic ones.I was shown the carving by an archaeologist friend who knew it would interest myself.It is extremely hard to spot unless you know where it is which is why it was only found in the last decade.

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

oh right I didnt realise that Steve! I used to be interested in ley lines, stone circles etc years ago, and I used to go to these Beltane gatherings with all these new age traveller types back in the mid-90s so when I heard Suvi mention Pagan my ears pricked up.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

jonleeds wrote: oh right I didnt realise that Steve! I used to be interested in ley lines, stone circles etc years ago, and I used to go to these Beltane gatherings with all these new age traveller types back in the mid-90s so when I heard Suvi mention Pagan my ears pricked up. my site Jon if you are interested:http://www.meetup.com/West-Yorkshire-Pagan-Meetup/we are holding a 1 day conference at The Swarthmore Centre in Leeds on October 6th covering various Pagan and paranormal stuff which might interest you.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

In a post by Steve he states of the carving "It is extremely hard to spot unless you know where it is which is why it was only found in the last decade". That is so true! I was shown it a few years back and have never been able to spot it again despite roughly knowing where it is! Mind you it was quite eroded looking and even making the shape out was extremely hard. It was apparently first reported by a lady who spotted it while walking a dog. She clearly had better detail spotting eyesight than me, as I would probably have never given it a second glance! There is also I understand some debate as to if it does have anything to do with the Britano-Roman god Cocidius or does it represent another deity. It's fascinating just what is around!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

I obviously don't 'get' the Pagan thing either.When I saw the thread title I thought it was spamming for some sort of painkiller that you could maybe get off the internet.