What, where, bonus point when, whodunnit

How well do you know Leeds?
Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Well look at that, he's not painted the arches.I wonder why? The arches were built when he painted it.
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

MWD wrote: A lovely scene, and interesting facts.Such a shame the area bears no resemblance to the painting anymore.The paths are almost impassable on anyhing other than dry days, having been churned up by mountainbikes. You couldn't make it up There are some very boggy parts to the steep valley sides and remnants of what appeared to be stone channels to guide streams or run-off from the upper surrounding land down into the valley bottom.I'd normally fork off Tile Lane right/straight ahead here http://goo.gl/maps/baMEcbut instead followed the road to Spring Hill Cottages which I never knew existed.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Found this on Facebook, my apologies if it has been posted before    

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Nice image UM, and as I recall it late, mid 1960's ie walkway with no rail or fencing. The inflow beck entrance looks kind of concrete, the outflow side appears to have a heavy cast iron cross beam which looks older.

Leodian

Re: What, where, bonus point when, whodunnit

Post by Leodian »

As there does not seem to be a Seven Arches thread I thought I would post this photo here. I took this photo of the Seven Arches aqueduct on March 29 2017. It is only around such as this part of a year that there is insufficient plant growth to block the view when trying to show all 7 arches in one photo.

PS. I initially typed aquaduct which I thought was the correct spelling but the reply spellchecker detected aquaduct as an error. I felt sure I was right but on checking a dictionary I found it is aqueduct. Not sure if I should be :oops: or not! I am not that good at spelling so a spellchecker is a great help. It's that time of year when we can expect waeterh, i.e. a bad spell of weather (sorry for that joke of mine ;)).
SevenArchesAqueductOverAdelBeckLeedsMarch292017..jpg
SevenArchesAqueductOverAdelBeckLeedsMarch292017..jpg (161.66 KiB) Viewed 16864 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

sparky415

Re: What, where, bonus point when, whodunnit

Post by sparky415 »

What a great feat of engineering. I remember when they fenced it off...
Come on Leeds United!