'Twitching'

Your favourite days out round Leeds
cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

book wrote: Just been watching 3 Bramblings in a small tree fluttering about Nice one.Have got a pair of (i believe) nesting Robins in teh neighbours garden that are coming into mine.The cock bird would appear to be absolutely fearless,he comes very very close even for a Robin.http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/868 ... hotostream
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Hi cnosni. That's a superb and sharply defined photo of the robin.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Caron

Post by Caron »

I'm in Dorset and lots of Robins in my garden all year round. I've had a lot of birds in my garden just lately, mostly enjoying my grass seed. I don't care, it's lovely to see them.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Leodian wrote: Hi cnosni. That's a superb and sharply defined photo of the robin. Cheers Leo,hoping to catch him with better light next time
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Spent a (long) days walking up Washburn way seeking the elusive Linnett. Saw everything but.Just twigged the link in the name to the Flax Mills of West End & Blubberhouses.Lin is an old word or part of latin for Flax, seeds thought to be it's fave food. Flax seed = Linseed.Assume it was a locally grown crop for textile & oil from seed?

tilly

Post by tilly »

The Blue Tits are feeding young in the nest box in my garden they never stop going backwards and forwards.The first baby bird out of the box last year was taken by a magpie it was not a nice site to see.Lets hope they all make it this year.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

2 Red Kites play-fighting / (passing food?) meeting claws in great display over Selby Road 1750hrs today 24.6.03High over central reservation junction Cartmell Drhttp://goo.gl/maps/TnmkG

Bruno

Post by Bruno »

Jogon wrote: 2 Red Kites play-fighting / (passing food?) meeting claws in great display over Selby Road On my daily journey to work in York, I regularly see red kites where the A1/M1 meets the A64, then yesterday morning I saw one between Swillington and Garforth: I wonder if that was one of the pair you saw, Jogon? Also, we saw a Jay last Saturday at Oulton Hall - I had to look it up in my Big Book of Birds when we got home. Are they rare?
The older I get, the better I was.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Bruno hiWe see a lot of Jays round here + Golden Acre / Adel Dam.They do look too bright & beautiful for UK but fairly common.One great trick a teacher tought us as nippers was bird song / call identification. And so I often recognise the call of Jay & also Woodpecker (dunno what sort, great spotted I guess).CD's freely available for small £'s, dawn chorus quite a soothing listen too.

Leodian

Re: 'Twitching'

Post by Leodian »

Starlings in the centre of Leeds have been mentioned in earlier posts. Their numbers seem to be increasing. I see them feeding with pigeons when food scraps are put down but otherwise I had never given any thought to what they eat. When on Duncan Street on October 26 2017 I saw around a dozen or so starlings feeding on what was left of a road kill (possibly a pigeon as seeing run over ones is not uncommon now). The starlings kept flying off as vehicles/people came by and then returned to quickly take some food before the next vehicle/people so I had to take this photo quickly and it is not in sharp focus.
StarlingsEatRoadKillDuncanStLeedsOct262017..jpg
StarlingsEatRoadKillDuncanStLeedsOct262017..jpg (145.4 KiB) Viewed 291572 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.