Sugar Well

Places to explore
parlington

Post by parlington »

Jogon wrote:Cheers Parl - even more intrigued now So was the water flow was from the 'Woodhouse ridge' side? and not the 'Potternewton' / Buslingthorpe Lane? If you go on google maps then copy + paste the short URL, please. I'd assumed you had a capped well source out of the Potternewton Ridge. The Mill Stream (assume for power) was taken off just before the beck goes under Meanwood Rd - where the cricket pitch is now. This is basically the sustrans route through MVU Farm, the outfall was see pic into the mill then return to beck before Bus Ln bridge.
Yes the location for the water is coming off Woodhouse Ridge The location of the underground watercourse as it enters the Sugarwell site: http://plazz.me/~c3uT

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

V helpful, thank you.

parlington

Post by parlington »

Jogon wrote:V helpful, thank you.
I don't recall exactly as it was years back but the water was contained in a large diameter pipe, which had sluice valves and what-not to control the use of the water into the old tannery. A side note, when we purchased it for less than £90K (Building plus 2.8 acres) there was a sign inside stating *BEWARE ANTHRAX*, since there were a number of areas where hides were stored for tanning!

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Hope you kept the sign.Ah the good old days eh?

Michael Kavanagh

Re: Sugar Well

Post by Michael Kavanagh »

There used to be a Wind Mill at the top of Sugar Well Hill. Draw a line from it down the hill to Meanwood road and about two thirds of the way down there was hole about 30 feet diameter with a Spring in it, it was sweet water. The water flowing out had excavated the hole on its way down the hill to Meanwood Beck at the bottom.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Welcome to S/L Michael.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Michael Kavanagh

Post by Michael Kavanagh »

There was a footpath from Scotthall Road going diagonally across and down Sugar Well Hill. Almost at the bottom, in a field at the other side of a hedge was a Spring, a bowl about 15-20 feet across. The water ran down the hill and into Meanwood Beck, it ran constantly throughout the year. As children we regularly went fishing for Sticklebacks in Meanwood Beck.

Randomjames

Post by Randomjames »

After doing a fair bit of foraging around I have found a water source roughly where it is marked on the o/s 1842-1952 on the map I have a video of said findings if anyone would like to help me upload it somewhere it can be viewed or i would be happy to share this with people. Equally if anyone fancies joining me on this aquatic treasure hunt let me know there is going to be a lot of digging if it is where I think.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

It would be interesting as ,as far as i know, the spring was culverted when Meanwood urban farm was built.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

Randomjames

Post by Randomjames »

Water will always find a way out especially with springs such as this one that ran all year steve. Do you have an email address? I can send you some pictures and videos if you like.