'Twitching'

Your favourite days out round Leeds
Derculees

Post by Derculees »

Besides the tits, robins, and blackbirds that seem to be squabbling for territory our trimmed hawthorn hedge has a resident dozen sparrows.A couple of dunnocks, a new, small number of starlings and a thrush that now calls briefly to the feeders. The small pond I have is filtered 24/7 and has'nt frozen as yet and the birds, including my 4 hens drink from it so much, I have to top it up, their drinker freezes up, nightly.
Touch not but the glove

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Leafing thru a big coffee table RSPB Bird book last night (not mine)Red Kite>Eats carrion, rabbits, sheepCatches birds up to size of crow, seagull with sudden attackMagpie>Eats carrion and food scrapsSummer eats bird eggs and chicks[Defra regs prohibit farm carcasses being left around]

Croggy1
Site Admin

Post by Croggy1 »

I see a pair of red kites flying around the house most days. Not many small birds for some reason ...http://www.rspb.org.uk/birdwatch/how.aspxIf you have an hour to spare this weekend, why not join in with the Big garden Birdwatch? Quote: Record the highest number of each bird species you see at the same time. Don't count the total over the hour as you may get the same birds visiting more than once. Also, please only count those birds that land within your garden - not flying over.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Croggy1 wrote: I see a pair of red kites flying around the house most days. Not many small birds for some reason ...http://www.rspb.org.uk/birdwatch/how.aspxIf you have an hour to spare this weekend, why not join in with the Big garden Birdwatch? Quote: Record the highest number of each bird species you see at the same time. Don't count the total over the hour as you may get the same birds visiting more than once. Also, please only count those birds that land within your garden - not flying over. KItes visit my area regularly, smaller birds seem to be fewer now the weather has improved(!!) slightly, though the bluetits are back today. Plenty of BBs, magpies, few crows, doves, only a rare pigeon visitor, surprisingly as the wood (a nice wood) to the rear is usually well inhabited. No thrushes this year - they have a preference for Holly Berries but they had gone by November. A pair of rather shy Jays come daily. No sparrows. Had Ivy on the side of the house which was always home to 20-30. Realised a while ago they'd not returned - can get rid of the blooming invasive ivy at last!

majorhoundii

Post by majorhoundii »

WE rarely get any birds except a blackbird that appears to live here, magpies and starlings. I used to put it down to us having a cat, but we haven't had one for 6 years. We bought a bird feeding station at Christmas, fat balls, dried mealworms, and that Peckish stuff - nothing except starlings eating the mealworms. I don't understand it. We back on to allotments with trees. We spent about £20 on stuff for the birds -not even a sparrow. Just the blackbird, starlings, and a couple of magpies that ate all the brazil nuts when we dumped our Christmas nuts and haven't been back!    

Si

Post by Si »

Trill fits the bill!

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Dinner has taken up residence in my garden
Attachments
__TFMF_elr5x345w0siavyu44tufr55_7dde1f80-e0e2-4c74-a02a-c083e5430391_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_elr5x345w0siavyu44tufr55_7dde1f80-e0e2-4c74-a02a-c083e5430391_0_main.jpg (449.49 KiB) Viewed 132502 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

chameleon wrote: Dinner has taken up residence in my garden Just for a moment I thought the white bit below the pheasant was a large white cat! Enjoy your pleasant pheasant dinner chameleon!     
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

chameleon wrote: Dinner has taken up residence in my garden are you a pheasant Plucker?
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

cnosni wrote: chameleon wrote: Dinner has taken up residence in my garden are you a pheasant Plucker? How did I know you'd come up with that one???