Victoria Quarter up for sale.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

Cardiarms wrote: The pokey Core is a a waste of space an no retailer would want that as a flag ship. Also there's limited parking round there. The new development offers over 2000 parking spaces which is why people will go there.Apart from the bookends I find Eastgate dispiriting an uninspiring. I wouldn't miss it it if it was bulldozed. There was no demand for it when it was originally planned and was completed in dribs and drabs. Templar House is the only building of merit and a couple of others of interest. I include the lyons factory in that. The rest is temporary car park. I've no interest in another retail opportunity and do have concerns that it will damage the city centre. I'd far rather a mix of housing, offices, small workshops and the retail and entertainment that goes with it.However the Council can get more business rates out of a large retail development than a hotchpotch of properties. There's summat to be said for that opinion Cardi......I guess I'm a bit old fashioned and despise the raving consumerism affecting all areas of society.....like it will solve all our problems ? More shops/department stores,gawdy signs,neon lights etc etc Just how many more does Leeds need ? Bubble will burst eventually.
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Wh-wh-what? My pie shop's closed down? My beautiful pork pie emporium?*sobs*

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Geordie-exile wrote: Wh-wh-what? My pie shop's closed down? My beautiful pork pie emporium?*sobs* Belatedly caught this GeordX.'Scuse the pie pun, but that puts the lid on it.Talking of lids, suggest VQ buyer takes the lid off it to return to Queen Victoria St :-https://www.flickr.com/photos/cliffords ... am/'though I remember it as a pedestrian precinct with a music shop, Sutcliffes Sports and Virgin Records.    

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Jogon wrote: Geordie-exile wrote: Wh-wh-what? My pie shop's closed down? My beautiful pork pie emporium?*sobs* Belatedly caught this GeordX.'Scuse the pie pun, but that puts the lid on it.Talking of lids, suggest VQ buyer takes the lid off it to return to Queen Victoria St :-https://www.flickr.com/photos/cliffords ... am/'though I remember it as a pedestrian precinct with a music shop, Sutcliffes Sports and Virgin Records.     Good photo Jogon. I notice the individual parking meters, which are long gone now from Leeds. Also Parking Wardens (Attendents?), but they are still here!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Jogon wrote: Geordie-exile wrote: Wh-wh-what? My pie shop's closed down? My beautiful pork pie emporium?*sobs* Belatedly caught this GeordX.'Scuse the pie pun, but that puts the lid on it.Talking of lids, suggest VQ buyer takes the lid off it to return to Queen Victoria St :-https://www.flickr.com/photos/cliffords ... am/'though I remember it as a pedestrian precinct with a music shop, Sutcliffes Sports and Virgin Records.     That photo is great. I wonder how we can get the rest of them. Apparently in the 1960s the Leeds Civic Trust went round photographing Leeds from an open top bus. That is the rail I think you can see in the foreground of the photo, and notice that in other similar shots they are taken from above ground level. There must be loads more, cliffordstead whoever you are please share!

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

LS1Agreed - some flickr folks are happy for the images to be copied so they (eg) appear here using [img]....jpg..[/img]But others, like here:-"..License All rights reserved by cliffordsteadDownload The owner has disabled downloading of their photos.."I don't know whether clifford is the professional photographer who took that photo? Or current lucky owner of the image taken by another. Philld may know more about these (I don't flickr).But yeah shame these languish in private collections, especially if as you say LCTrust wanted them for 'Leeds'. Like them in a section on Leodis etc.

biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

Jogon wrote: .....I don't know whether clifford is the professional photographer who took that photo? Or current lucky owner of the image taken by another. Philld may know more about these (I don't flickr)...... No, yes and definitely in that order.There has been some debate on here in the past about this set of photographs of Leeds from the sixties and seventies.The 'Secret Leeds' community as a whole did not come out on top, or emerge with the integrity we had before the exchange of views started.Best to just be happy that we can see them - or maybe even only some of them - on Flickr.Have a search to find the old thread if you like but it might be better to leave it as it is.

volvojack

Re: Victoria Quarter up for sale.

Post by volvojack »

Just looking back at these posts from 5 years ago and reading how they were exporessing their fears of what was to come.
I too was horrified to hear that they were planning to demolish one side of Eastgate.

Now all this has come to fruition is there anyone out there that thinks this John Lewis project / New Victoria Quarter was a good idea ?

Looking through various posts i can't seem to find any.
I am dreading my next visit to Leeds and getting the chance to have a good look at the area which seeing on line looks like something brought from Blackpools Pleasure Beach

tilly

Post by tilly »

I think members will know i dont like a lot of the changes that have taken place in Leeds . I must say the Victoria Quarter looks quite good .When you think of what it replaced a piece land full of ruts used has a car park The Market Tavern pub a bit of a dump, Millgarth Police Station an eye sore then to me the change is for the good not that i could afford to shop there but if it brings in shoppers to Leeds alls well.I know we lost buildings on the Lower Head Row but overall i think it was worth it.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="tilly"]I think members will know i dont like a lot of the changes that have taken place in Leeds . I must say the Victoria Quarter looks quite good .When you think of what it replaced a piece land full of ruts used has a car park The Market Tavern pub a bit of a dump, Millgarth Police Station an eye sore then to me the change is for the good not that i could afford to shop there but if it brings in shoppers to Leeds alls well.I know we lost buildings on the Lower Head Row but overall i think it was worth it.

tilly,
Whilst i agree that that the area you mention was crying out for redevolpment i also think that they could have stopped short of demolishing the part of Eastgate ( Yorks Hussars upwards) as that parade of buildings was not only classy looking put such a match for the opposite side of the road. Sadly it is too late and like so much of Leeds is gradually disappearing and not being replaced with anything notable.
Guess its called Progress. Regards Jack Daly.