Friends of Hawksworth Wood

The green spaces and places of Leeds
Dalehelms

Post by Dalehelms »

A good morning's work was achieved by all present. The wood is clearer and safer due to everyone's efforts. It seems likely that the clean-up will become a monthly event......so, for all those who were unable to make it today, don't worry, you'll get an opportunity next time.

BarFly

Post by BarFly »

Dalehelms wrote: It seems likely that the clean-up will become a monthly event......so, for all those who were unable to make it today, don't worry, you'll get an opportunity next time. Glad to hear it. I did the usual "hit the alarm, see it's Saturday, go back to sleep" routine today but I'm still interested in what's going on and hope to help.

BarFly

Post by BarFly »

Does anyone happen to know what the brick structures overlooking the A65 are? The walls are about six feet each side and square but only about a foot in height remains. They look substantial though. Edit: I was posting this from The Bridge and my phone signal was dropping out.The structures I refer to are between the path up the hill and the A65, I think there are about half a dozen of them all seemingly identical and all only have a foot or two of wall remaining.I also noticed that the rifle holes in the wall on Kirkstall road no longer exist, how long have they been gone? I could have sworn I used to see them daily 15 years or so ago.

mhoulden

Post by mhoulden »

The new website is at http://hawksworthwood.wordpress.com and has a couple of basic pages and photos just to get started. I've got some more photos to go up and a few other changes to make, including what I can find about the history of the place. There's quite a few photos on Leodis (including the one below which might answer questions about the mystery structures overlooking Abbey Rd) but I'm aware of needing to respect people's copyright.

mhoulden

Post by mhoulden »

A bit short notice, but there's another activity day this Saturday meeting at 10 at the Butcher Hill entrance to the woods as usual. More details at http://hawksworthwood.wordpress.com/201 ... Afterwards we'll be having a meeting at The Bridge pub to discuss setting up a formally constituted group.

sparky415

Post by sparky415 »

There are also air raid shelters in these woods. Where exactly is the'tunnel'. I know these woods intimately and have never found it yet.
Come on Leeds United!

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

sparky415 wrote: There are also air raid shelters in these woods. Where exactly is the'tunnel'. I know these woods intimately and have never found it yet. The easiest way to find the 'tunnel' is to approach from the Kirkstall Road end of Hawksworth Woods, there is a lower disused footpath that overlooks the beck, follow this for a short distance and you'll notice a steep drop to the left and the iron door / tunnel entrance is directly below the footpath. There used to be the word 'Tunnel' together with a small arrow carved into a tree adjacent to the site although I dont know if this is still visible. You might be familiar with the iron door anyway but maybe you dont recognise it as a tunnel.
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

sparky415

Post by sparky415 »

Ah, well, I went and found it and spoke to my uncle about it. He is a Hawky resident of 60 odd years. he told me that it was a bunker for the war. Don't know it its true or not, just what he said.
Come on Leeds United!

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

If your uncle is referring to the same tunnel entrance with the iron door I doubt it would have been a WW2 bunker. I think it pre-dates WW2 plus the tunnel is only about 4' high and rather narrow. On my one venture inside it I had to shuffle along the narrow tunnel which was flooded to a depth of over 2' with icy water. After about 15' the tunnel turned to the right and came to a dead end after a furthur few feet. There was a cast iron drain pipe which came out of the roof of the tunnel and went right down through the floor, very strange. Also it would have been too constricted to be a used as a bunker and most bunkers I've explored have had multiple entrances so people wouldnt get sealed in should one end of the bunker collapse from a nearby bomb blast. Its been suggested by Rickj that the tunnel could have been an explosives store dating back to when Hawksworth Woods was quarried for stone. This now seems to be a likely explanation. Although the tunnel might end in the dead end from a partial collapse which has sealed off any chance of exploring furthur.
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

Dalehelms

Post by Dalehelms »

Sorry for the short notice, but the group meets tomorrow at 10 o'clock at the Butcher Hill entrance. The main task will be management of the wild flower meadow. If you plan to go, remember to wear old clothes that you don't mind getting dirty and some sturdy footwear. New faces are always welcome!