Vanishing Breweries

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
farbank

Post by farbank »

The building on the 'loop' road just past the Parish Church, became the bottling plant at some stage, for Hemingways. I only know this because my uncle Bob worked up to retirement ,many years ago for them. He often alternated between there and their premises on York Rd. [Just near the Baths.]And on the O.S. Map for NW.Leeds dated 1908, Sheet No.218.01, the brewery at Armley is shown at the junction of Armley Rd.; Canal Rd.; It was actually behind the current Nelson pub, occupying the land that has become the pet store 'Living World'. There's a blue plaque on the pub wall. And I believe it was where the family of the famous Sammy Ledgard, set up the brewing for their own pub. Also of course, for many years after the brewery vanished, the building there continued to make yeast, and yeast products.But directly across the road from the Nelson, at the bottom of Crab Lane,on the land where the blocks of maisonettes has just been cleared, was TWO malthouses. So the 'Nellie' and other local hostelries didn't have far to travel for their malt.

stevief

Post by stevief »

raveydavey wrote: We've already got a Lost Pubs thread, so what about a Vanishing Breweries one?There was the Whitbread (I think) Brewery at Kirkstall, now student flats, as well as the BYB brewery at Woodlesford.If the YEP is to be believed we may soon be lamenting the passing of Tetleys too, as property developers eye up a massive site slap bang in the middle of an area undergoing massive regeneration that no-one could have forseen just 10 years ago.Best get down to LS10 with your cameras before it's too late! It's true that a lot of smaller breweries have fallen by the wayside over the years due to takeovers and mergers but I prefer to be optimistic.You only need to visit pubs like The Duck and Drake,The Palace,The Scarbrough,Whitelocks etc. to see an endless rotation of top quality ales,some from micro-breweries operated by a handfull of dedicated people.The Evening Post last week featured a new micro-brewery from Leeds,I shall be looking out for their beers with interest.I always see the glass half full(when it's my round!)    

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Further to my earlier post - Musgrave and Sagar called their brewery 'The Rutland Brewery' (nothing to do with Ruddles) and it was on Marlborough Street Burley. They existed as a company until very recently - but stopped brewing many years ago. They owned The Old Unicorn in Bramley and the Town Hall Tavern to my knowledge.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

drapesy wrote: Further to my earlier post - Musgrave and Sagar called their brewery 'The Rutland Brewery' (nothing to do with Ruddles) and it was on Marlborough Street Burley. They existed as a company until very recently - but stopped brewing many years ago. They owned The Old Unicorn in Bramley and the Town Hall Tavern to my knowledge. Arry - refresh my memory pls? There is a Sagar Musgrave Row, in Bramley? Flippin SURE there is!
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

drapesy wrote: Further to my earlier post - Musgrave and Sagar called their brewery 'The Rutland Brewery' (nothing to do with Ruddles) and it was on Marlborough Street Burley. They existed as a company until very recently - but stopped brewing many years ago. They owned The Old Unicorn in Bramley and the Town Hall Tavern to my knowledge. Arry - refresh my memory pls? There is a Sagar Musgrave Row, in Bramley? Flippin SURE there is! Bit confuddled at 1AM tho! :-O
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

EEK! Double post!

Jimbo5553

Post by Jimbo5553 »

drapesy wrote: Quite a lot of pubs used to brew their own beer - for instance The Cardigan Arms - the brewery building is still there behind the pub.There would have been literally hundreds of these of various sizes in Victorian times.The most recent, I think, was the Fox and Newt in Burley which called itself the Leeds Brewhouse Company , but stopped brewing a few years ago.Surprisingly the Bowling Alley at the Warner village in Kirkstall brewed its own beer and lager (The Original Brewing company) when it first opened - a brave experiment that sadly did not last (Its customers were more interested in bottles of Budweiser or Bacardi Breezer than something that had an actual taste, I suppose)Another surprise was the 'Ale House' off-licence on Woodhouse Lane which I believe was unique amongst off-licences in brewing its own beer in the 80s/ 90s - but stopped brewing a few years ago.Amongst larger, more commercial breweries I know ofTetley (Duh)Kirkstall/Duttons/Whitbread at Kirkstall (ceased c 1978/9)Albion (where Morrisons Merrion Centre now is) ceased 1933Melbourne (where Christopher Pratts/Maplins is on Regent street) taken over by Tetleys in 1960 - brewing stooped early/mid 60sMcQuat's ( somewhere on Meadow lane)Willow Brewery (near willow Road, Kirkstall) taken over by Kirkstall brewery 1928Borough Brewery , Burley(alphabet streets) - I believe taken over by Ind. Coope'sSavile Green brewery . Burmantofts - later " Leeds and Batley Brewery co. - taken over by Ind.coope.Musgrave and Sagar (somewhere in Kirkstall/Burley)Hemingway (York Road- not sure exactly where - near Seacroft hospital??)Brunswick Brewery (leylands) - poss black beer onlyHope Brewery (Regent street - taken over by Melbourne)Mather's black beer (upper wortley road)Dantzic brewery , Regent street - black beer.Union Cross brewery, stocks hill, ArmleyBarchester Ales brewery, Tong Rd wortley (poss black beer only)I'm not counting BYB at Woodlesford, I wouldn't count that as Leeds, really.There were also many Maltster's , such as Armley Brewery ltd, who apparently didn't actually brew beer but supplied malt to others.Thanks to 'Leodis' for much of this info You forgot The Wellington Brewery at the bottom of Armley Roaddisappeared during WW1jimbo

Jimbo5553

Post by Jimbo5553 »

drapesy wrote: Further to my earlier post - Musgrave and Sagar called their brewery 'The Rutland Brewery' (nothing to do with Ruddles) and it was on Marlborough Street Burley. They existed as a company until very recently - but stopped brewing many years ago. They owned The Old Unicorn in Bramley and the Town Hall Tavern to my knowledge. and the Nags Head Vicar Lanejimbo

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Hi ScandyYes I think Sager Musgrave's Yard (Row?)was at the top of Outgang where the Bramley Centre and Bus Stnis now. There were loads of those old 'Folds' along to Waterloo Lane and beyond, on TownSt I do believe there was a brewer's yard there too. My oldest A-Z is C1992 and that Row isn't listed any more!I think the old Rutland pub probably got its name from the Breweryon Marlborough St,as it's just a bit along Park Lane posing as the Fox and Newt! Wonder if they had a pipeline direct to the pub?Save cartage!CheersArry

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

arry awk wrote: Hi ScandyYes I think Sager Musgrave's Yard (Row?)was at the top of Outgang where the Bramley Centre and Bus Stnis now. There were loads of those old 'Folds' along to Waterloo Lane and beyond, on TownSt I do believe there was a brewer's yard there too. My oldest A-Z is C1992 and that Row isn't listed any more!I think the old Rutland pub probably got its name from the Breweryon Marlborough St,as it's just a bit along Park Lane posing as the Fox and Newt! Wonder if they had a pipeline direct to the pub?Save cartage!CheersArry There were several streets in this vicinity at one stage called Rutland Street etc. so it may be that the brewery and pub were named, independently after these. I dont know of the Rutland hotel ever belonging to Musgrave and Sagar.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.