Queens Hotel stories

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
onenorthernsoul

Post by onenorthernsoul »

Great stuff, I'm glad I posted this thread.Stan and Ollie's last visit to Leeds is the basis of a story written by a big fan too (Craig Bradley, a great writer, mainly for kids) and I love them too. Stan was the v hardworking perfectionist and Ollie was more a 'natural' apparently. I'd personally say they were both brilliant, geniuses maybe, but it's not meant to stir a debate I think it was on here somewhere that Ollie aka 'Babe' was a bit of a ladies' man but also described by one poster's mum as a 'pig' or something Just to say that the L&H story isn't complete yet - there are 3 writers who I'm waiting on, one story involving Eddie Waring - and so I'm hoping to involve the cinema adjoined to the QH in the L&H story.
We're all bald underneath

onenorthernsoul

Just a bit of a taster of some of the characters written or being written about:Laurel n Hardy, Louis Armstrong, Eddie Waring, Jimmy Savile, Don Revie, The Beatles.There's blooming loads more to choose from, I've had to pare the list down a lot. Max Wall as well.I've begun the whole story with a scene involvig Mosley's blackshirts and the Battle of Holbeck Moor in 1936. None of it is set in stone so to speak, it's open to suggestions, there is a long long way to go and it all definitely is a work in progress, an enjoyable on though.    

ArmleyLass47

Post by ArmleyLass47 »

I am like one of the other posters, the Queens was too posh for the the normal folk of Leeds. I used to earn £3 a week for a 45 hour week typing and I had to give half of that to me Mum so no way I would be seen in the Queens. Still have not been in. Saying that I had a friend who worked as a maid there and she said Cliff Richard and the Shadows were staying there. I said Oh great what was Cliff like and she said that she didnt fancy him because everytime the maids went into the room for room service or whatever, he was always stood in front of the mirror looking at himself. Laugh. So that was about 1963 I think. p.s. I remember when Laurel and Hardy came to Leeds in 1954. My Mum bought the Evening Post so I could see them at the Grand but in my mind as a child they were Laurel and Hardy of the silent films and funny costumes they were not these old men in the photo laugh.    
On Ilkla Moor ba'tat!!!

biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

The Queens Hotel was the scene for the final negotiations in the transfer of John Charles from Leeds United to Juventus in 1957.I remember reading about this as a boy when the newspaper article even included the room number in which the (dirty, for a Leeds fan) deed had been done.In checking this on the 'net, both room 222 and 233 get the credit for the historic event taking place. In amongst the personnel involved, Gigi Peronace and Umberto Agnelli were present for the Italian club, with a gentleman by the name of Edward Summerfield representing John Charles' interests. No mention of who was there to look after the interests of Leeds United - maybe if it had been Ken Bates Leeds would have got a better deal! But just for who exactly might have been debatable.What I do know is that the 'party' - if it can be called that - continued into the 'wee small hours' at Harold Williams' pub on Town Street, Beeston. With the arrangements to congregate at the Railway being made over the telephone just before closing time, Harold and Ada Williams hosted the warm down for both negotiating teams, entertaining Big John to good British beer and the Italians to the finest brandy they had in the house. Sandwiches were also made available and when the Italians left as dawn was breaking, Peronace thanked his host effusively, promising a visit to Italy and passing some paper to Harold at the time of their handshake.Apparently it was a ten shilling note. Wonder what Harold thought of that.

onenorthernsoul

Thanks for that SaltnPepper, great story that. I think there's a John Charles Room Suite at the hotel too now. The Queens being too posh for drinking in etc thinking was always my opinion but the bar, at one time called Harlequins, was posh to look at maybe but anything but otherwise It's still pleasant now, though I suspect it's not a Real Ale find.I saw Mel Smith in the Harlequins bar one afternoon, he was possibly a little worse for wear but anyway, he looked miserable as sin too. I also had the pleasure of a drink or two with Frank Carson in the QH. He was emceeing a works do for the company I worked for, and luckily enough it was me who set the ball rolling with hiring him for the night as he rang to order one of our products and I took the call. He got drunk that night - as did most of the people there - but he was great fun to be with earlier on and he did seem genuine, RIP.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

I once saw Dennis Waterman in the Harlequins bar, it was the time they were filming Stay Lucky around these parts, he's even smaller in real life than he looks on screen. There was no pompous air about him, he was just enjoying a drink, and I didn't really see anyone really bother him, he was just another bloke at the bar.I never did care for Mel Smith, or Griff" Rhys Jones really, their brand of 'new and alternate comedy' not really being so funny or standing the test of time.Ronnie Barker was deeply upset about the mickey taking sketches Smith & Jones used to do, they used to parody the two Ronnies as old fashioned, out of date, and everything was predictably the same. I find that rather ironic these days. You only have to mention ''fork handles'' to anyone and they remember that brilliant sketch to this day, yet Mel Smith has faded into obscurity, and Griff" Rhys Jones is probably best known for being a short tempered and not very likeable person lol                 
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

onenorthernsoul

Maybe Ronnie Barker should have looked upon it more as a tribute than mickey-take, I know I did. I didn't know it was meant to take the pee out of the Two Ronnies who were generally great. I did like Smith & Jones too, but Eric and Ernie were the UK kings for me Griff is grumpy, might be because he's Welsh but I heard that Rory McGrath is a real grouch, very antisocial, possibly cos he's an Arsenal fan :LOL:

leedslily

Post by leedslily »

As geeky muso teenagers, my friend and I met John Peel in about 1978, when there was a Radio 1 week in Leeds based at the Queens - what a lovely bloke he was. We handed in a record request at reception, then sat in City Square listening in on our transistor radio. Next thing we knew the man himself appeared on a balcony and shouted 'D'you want to come up?' and we spent the next half hour or so sitting in on his show, too awestruck to speak a word. Had to leave to get the last bus home, but we were the height of cool at school the next day!

onenorthernsoul

leedslily wrote: As geeky muso teenagers, my friend and I met John Peel in about 1978, when there was a Radio 1 week in Leeds based at the Queens - what a lovely bloke he was. We handed in a record request at reception, then sat in City Square listening in on our transistor radio. Next thing we knew the man himself appeared on a balcony and shouted 'D'you want to come up?' and we spent the next half hour or so sitting in on his show, too awestruck to speak a word. Had to leave to get the last bus home, but we were the height of cool at school the next day! Was that Peely's 10pm til midnight show then? What a story, I'm having it if that's okay And what was the record?A mate was looking into a story that the Sex Pistols once stayed at the QH and that probably Vicious peed from a balcony. I'm not sure either way, I would have thought the Dragonara was likelier a hotel for them to stay in. There was also a report that Paul Weller when in the Jam, had a scrap with some Australia RU players, but I'm fairly sure that definitely was the Dragonara. Apparently he always refused to tour Aus as he got a good chinning!

biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

onenorthernsoul wrote: .....There was also a report that Paul Weller when in the Jam, had a scrap with some Australia RU players, but I'm fairly sure that definitely was the Dragonara. Apparently he always refused to tour Aus as he got a good chinning! The Aussies used the Dragonara as their northern base for two or three tours. They used to train at Burton's Sports during the day, and then go and beat all comers at night - including Paul Weller by the sound of it!I remember they once returned from a trip over the Pennines to find that the whole floor (or was it two) they occupied had been ransacked and a lot of their personal possessions had been pinched.