Leeds Buskers

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Goot

Post by Goot »

tilly wrote: whatdoesthisbuttondo wrote: Does anyone remember the young electric guitarist who used to set up outside HMV in the late 80's/90's?He had what looked like home made pedals to switch effects and was amazing to listen to.. I remember that guy i once asked him to play some Hendrix and boy did he give it the works.He could make that guitar talk makes you wonder how he has got on in life.     His name is Jools Hodgson,and he went on to play in quite a few rock/metal acts the last i heard hes running a studio in seattle,so hes done well for himself,he was really talented,i used to sit for hours listening to him.

Tristan

Post by Tristan »

Goot wrote: tilly wrote: whatdoesthisbuttondo wrote: Does anyone remember the young electric guitarist who used to set up outside HMV in the late 80's/90's?He had what looked like home made pedals to switch effects and was amazing to listen to.. I remember that guy i once asked him to play some Hendrix and boy did he give it the works.He could make that guitar talk makes you wonder how he has got on in life.     His name is Jools Hodgson,and he went on to play in quite a few rock/metal acts the last i heard hes running a studio in seattle,so hes done well for himself,he was really talented,i used to sit for hours listening to him. I used to love watching him play. He then went on to join a band called Lodestar (with former members of Senser) and then went on to join KMFDM. I used to sit for hours watching him. I was a teenager just getting into rock and metal at the time. I was actually just looking him up online today hence my visit to this thread. I bought his tape back in about '94. It was called Ration and Welfare and the cover was a rip off of Steve Vai's Passion and Warfare album. I lost that tape years ago and am absolutely gutted. I've tried to contact Jools as well as the studio he recorded it act (run by a friend of a friend.). Nobody seems to have a copy of that tape. Am I getting my hopes up by hoping one of you guys has a copy? I'd happily pay someone to get hold of a copy again!

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Ref the late Danny FreemanI'm told there's a plaque / photo tribute to him in LGI.

biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

Jogon wrote: Ref the late Danny FreemanI'm told there's a plaque / photo tribute to him in LGI. On the way from the Jubilee Wing towards the Clarendon Wing.

Leodian

Re: Leeds Buskers

Post by Leodian »

I short video that seems to have been recently taken (New Year is mentioned at one point) shows a reportedly homeless man with a very fine voice jamming with a busker in Leeds. I'm not sure, but it looks to me like outside a closed Boots at the junction of Albion Street and Commercial Street. This is a link to the video http://www.aol.co.uk/video/homeless-man ... d%3D417498. The video however was very stuttery on my connection but hopefully may be much better on others.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

jim

Post by jim »

Leodian wrote:I short video that seems to have been recently taken (New Year is mentioned at one point) shows a reportedly homeless man with a very fine voice jamming with a busker in Leeds. I'm not sure, but it looks to me like outside a closed Boots at the junction of Albion Street and Commercial Street. This is a link to the video http://www.aol.co.uk/video/homeless-man ... d%3D417498. The video however was very stuttery on my connection but hopefully may be much better on others.
Bernard Davey. Mentioned in my post on "Leeds Characters", P30. Had a fine tenor voice, now much deeper, but still fine, at his best. Sad case, never, in my recollection, able to take care of business.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks for that information jim. :)

sparky415

Re:

Post by sparky415 »

Goot wrote:tilly wrote: whatdoesthisbuttondo wrote: Does anyone remember the young electric guitarist who used to set up outside HMV in the late 80's/90's?He had what looked like home made pedals to switch effects and was amazing to listen to.. I remember that guy i once asked him to play some Hendrix and boy did he give it the works.He could make that guitar talk makes you wonder how he has got on in life.     His name is Jools Hodgson,and he went on to play in quite a few rock/metal acts the last i heard hes running a studio in seattle,so hes done well for himself,he was really talented,i used to sit for hours listening to him.

I remember him....he did an awesome take of a Rage Against The Machine song if I remember correctly....
Come on Leeds United!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

There is a report on page 3 of today's YEP (Jan 6 2016) about the video along with some information about Bernard (his surname is not given). This is the link to the online YEP report:- http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... -1-7657614

tilly

Post by tilly »

Welcome to S/L filmplace.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.