knocked down by a tram

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
liits

Post by liits »

uncle mick wrote: I have been looking through Kelly's Directories etc and I can't find a Maypole next door but one to a Taylor's Drug Store.I can find several instances of both firms on the same street.Town Street Armley, Beeston Road, Tong Road,Hunslet Road.It should be illegal to post pics like this, I can't rest I was thinking Armley but did trams ever run down Town Street?

jim

Post by jim »

There is another view of this accident in Vol 2 of Jim Soper's "Leeds Transport". It took place on 8/9/1909 in Lowtown, Pudsey.The report says that the 5.20 am workmens car, No 282, jumped the points at Lidgett Hill corner and carried straight on into Lowtown demolishing two shop fronts. The accident was said to be due to a failure of the brakes,and there were two injuries.    

liits

Post by liits »

That solved that then. Well done Jim!

liits

Post by liits »

... and a more modern view from Street View

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Thanks! Well done Jim EDIT: and liits

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Yes well done indeed - its one of those things where we think we know the gradient of a particular thoroughfare, and I would have said that Lowtown is a good bit steeper than that - but just shows how wrong you can be so there we are.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Si

Post by Si »

jim wrote: There is another view of this accident in Vol 2 of Jim Soper's "Leeds Transport". It took place on 8/9/1909 in Lowtown, Pudsey.The report says that the 5.20 am workmens car, No 282, jumped the points at Lidgett Hill corner and carried straight on into Lowtown demolishing two shop fronts. The accident was said to be due to a failure of the brakes,and there were two injuries.     Hi Jim,Do you know exactly where these shops were? I know Pudsey fairly well, but they don't look familiar. I assume they have since been demolished, and I can't find any more images of them on Leodis or Google Images.

Si

Post by Si »

BLAKEY wrote: Yes well done indeed - its one of those things where we think we know the gradient of a particular thoroughfare, and I would have said that Lowtown is a good bit steeper than that - but just shows how wrong you can be so there we are. Hi Blakey,The gradient of Lowtown varies, being flatter at the top, and steeper at the Lane End/Hough Side end.

Si

Post by Si »

liits wrote: ... and a more modern view from Street View Ooops! Thanks Liits - posts crossed!

jim

Post by jim »

Apparently the sharp curve from Church Lane into Lidgett Hill had been a source of repeated derailment since the opening of the tram route on 4/6/1908. Modifications were made on 8/3/1911, which reduced the problem.Problems then occurred at the bottom of Richardshaw Lane, and on two occasions trams ploughed straight into shop fronts in Stanningley Bottom, on 12/12/1912 and18/9/1916. Injuries were reported on both occurrences, and the shops involved were a butchers and a drapers.