TV Harrison sports ground and Leeds City Boys FC

The green spaces and places of Leeds
Leeds Hippo

Post by Leeds Hippo »

Si wrote: This is my great grandad Fred on Oldfield Lane. As well as playing cricket, he also played rugby union for Morley and Yorkshire. The bloke on the left shows that Simon Cowell's tailor was active as far back as the 30's!     Wow that's great!Only picture I've seen of actual action on the ground.

Si

Post by Si »

Leeds Hippo wrote: Si wrote: This is my great grandad Fred on Oldfield Lane. As well as playing cricket, he also played rugby union for Morley and Yorkshire. The bloke on the left shows that Simon Cowell's tailor was active as far back as the 30's!     Wow that's great!Only picture I've seen of actual action on the ground. I think it's just an informal knock-about, judging by the waistcoat, flat caps and aforementioned trousers!

Treadstone71

Post by Treadstone71 »

As a young lad in the 80's I was always under the impression that it was the TC Harrison Ground, who were/still are a Ford dealership.

Leeds Hippo

Post by Leeds Hippo »

Si wrote: Leeds Hippo wrote: Si wrote: This is my great grandad Fred on Oldfield Lane. As well as playing cricket, he also played rugby union for Morley and Yorkshire. The bloke on the left shows that Simon Cowell's tailor was active as far back as the 30's!     Wow that's great!Only picture I've seen of actual action on the ground. I think it's just an informal knock-about, judging by the waistcoat, flat caps and aforementioned trousers! I always wondered when that trend of wearing trousers with waists round the chest started. I recall old guys when I was a kid wearing trousers like this with short braces. Didn't these used to be called "cor blimey trousers" Of course it's only a matter of time before the kids start wearing their trousers "high up" - since they have gone as low as they can get!
Attachments
__TFMF_31gtm4552b5mjjqa0s21r555_238f211c-5ff4-4c30-ad7e-5a87ba73068e_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_31gtm4552b5mjjqa0s21r555_238f211c-5ff4-4c30-ad7e-5a87ba73068e_0_main.jpg (61.69 KiB) Viewed 4355 times

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Leeds Hippo wrote: [I always wondered when that trend of wearing trousers with waists round the chest started. I recall old guys when I was a kid wearing trousers like this with short braces. Didn't these used to be called "cor blimey trousers" Seems Cor Blimey trousers are courderoy or moleskin baggy trousers tied with string at the knees to stop the rats running up them when you empty the bins as a dustman.Which begs the question name that song.....

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

The Parksider wrote: Leeds Hippo wrote: [I always wondered when that trend of wearing trousers with waists round the chest started. I recall old guys when I was a kid wearing trousers like this with short braces. Didn't these used to be called "cor blimey trousers" Seems Cor Blimey trousers are courderoy or moleskin baggy trousers tied with string at the knees to stop the rats running up them when you empty the bins as a dustman.Which begs the question name that song..... 'My old man's a dustman' by Lonnie Donegan. A little bit of the song:-My old man's a dustman.He wears a dustman's hat.He wears cor blimey trousersand he lives in a council flat.I bet those of a certain age like me are singing it now! Skiffle rules. Well it did once!     
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Leeds Hippo wrote: Si wrote: Leeds Hippo wrote: Si wrote: This is my great grandad Fred on Oldfield Lane. As well as playing cricket, he also played rugby union for Morley and Yorkshire. The bloke on the left shows that Simon Cowell's tailor was active as far back as the 30's!     Wow that's great!Only picture I've seen of actual action on the ground. I think it's just an informal knock-about, judging by the waistcoat, flat caps and aforementioned trousers! I always wondered when that trend of wearing trousers with waists round the chest started. I recall old guys when I was a kid wearing trousers like this with short braces. Didn't these used to be called "cor blimey trousers" Of course it's only a matter of time before the kids start wearing their trousers "high up" - since they have gone as low as they can get! What I used to call - 'a snug fit under the armpits'
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

4NDR3WH4RRY8RIGGS

Post by 4NDR3WH4RRY8RIGGS »

diglet01 wrote: Hi after reading lots of threads i feel i can add my thoughts on a subject. In the early 70s i attended Upper Wortley and Thornhill schools who both used the Tv Harrison ground. We used to get changed at Thornhill and walk the short distance to Oldfield Lane stopping to take in the smell of beer and smoke as we passed the Queens pub.Thornhill school didnt have a proper grass pitch only the all weather pitch, which collected water when it rained and being gravel based was lethal when you fell over on it,this was why we used the Tv Haririson pich. The pitch had a small pavillion which we never used and a changing room was between the football and netball pitches.The playing surface along with the rest of the ground was kept in imaculate condition as it was used for schools cup finals and also Leeds City Boys matches.     I attended quite a few matches there because Stuart Macall was a class mate of mine, he was head and shoulders above any other player of his age although a bit on the small side. This prevented him from signing for Leeds Utd and he went to Bradford instead,the last i saw of him he was waiting for the 88 bus on Whitehall Road on his way to training just after we left school in 1980.     I Also Attended Upper Wortley & Thornhill School & Also Played With The Leeds City Boys Along With McCall & Andrew Forbes Both Also From Thornhill Middle At The Time. It Was The Meeting Place & Home Ground Of The Best School Football Players Of There Age Groups From Leeds City Schools ,We Regularly Played Teams From All Over The Country & Our Age Team & Year Was Considered One Of The Best In The Country .As Far Can Remember Only McCall Went On To Make A Successful Career Out Of Our Team ,Has To Been Head & Shoulders Above Every Other Footballer At Thornhill School ,I Might Sound To Be A Bit Bias Here But In My Humble Op-ion & Quiet A Few Other People Who'PLAYED' At The Time I Was Considered One Of The Best , If Not ( Not Dedicated Enough ) Players We Had .     
4H8

leedsschools

Post by leedsschools »

Great chat

Chiron

Post by Chiron »

I remember playing, in the 1960s for Matthew Murray against Leeds City Boys in a friendly at the TV Harrison Ground. Most of our team were a year or two older than the City Boys who, if I recall correctly, were U15s. David Harvey, who went on to play for Leeds United was the City Boys goalkeeper. I can't remember the score but I know we lost quite heavily