It's funny how your mind wanders onto things (well mine does!).

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Sat on a bus today my mind wandered to thinking of trams in Leeds, where the last tram ran in 1959. It struck me therefore that in a couple of months anyone then under the age of 52 cannot have ridden on a tram on the Leeds tram network. That does make me feel old! Mind you, to put it into some perspective, England won the football World Cup only less than 7 years after the last tram ran in Leeds! I don't know, but I suspect that of all the changes in Leeds one that will bring great amazement to many people will be seeing images of trams on Leeds streets.There have been many major changes since 1959 that have greatly altered Leeds (slum clearance, Inner Ring Road, York Road, Sheepscar junction etc). I may not have foreseen all of the changes but at a minor level one I would never have seen coming is that there would be commercial premises where I could dip my feet in water to have a pedicure done by fish (there is such a place in The Light and a very recently opened one in the Merrion Centre). It sounds fun and I must try it one day (assuming the fish don't object to my feet!).
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Glad to see no apology in your post Leodian . Are you getting more assertive in your old age? But seriously, the majority of your posts are an absolute joy and I fail to see why you apologise so much for "hijacking" threads or posting too many images amongst other things. You don't hijack threads, you contribute to them and I'm sure those that have little or no chance of visiting Leeds appreciate your photographic reproduction of modern Leeds.Long may your mind continue to wander on Secret Leeds. BTW 5 years too late for the trams and although 2.5 years old at the time I? don't remember the World Cup first hand. "They think it's all over. It is now"
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

tyke bhoy wrote: Glad to see no apology in your post Leodian . Are you getting more assertive in your old age? But seriously, the majority of your posts are an absolute joy and I fail to see why you apologise so much for "hijacking" threads or posting too many images amongst other things. You don't hijack threads, you contribute to them and I'm sure those that have little or no chance of visiting Leeds appreciate your photographic reproduction of modern Leeds.Long may your mind continue to wander on Secret Leeds. BTW 5 years too late for the trams and although 2.5 years old at the time I? don't remember the World Cup first hand. "They think it's all over. It is now" Indeed, and how many times has a chance 'off topic' (yak!) comment opened up a whole new discussion which captured the imagination and determination of so many to dig, delve and speculate until, most times, the answers or other relevations are outed. Long live the skulls

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Cheers tyke bhoy.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

D Lucas wrote: It seems comercial/industrial premises are creeping nearer to the residential areas in a few areas of leeds Leodian, once upon a time osmondthorpe was fields and farm land which was taken over by housing.........now the developement of farmland has brought us comercial/industrial buildings which are slowly taking over and creeping nearer to the housing estates, i hear talk of more houses being demolished and incinerators being built, where will it end? I'm an Ossy lad myself, though I moved away well over 30 years back. Osmondthorpe Infants and then Junior School up to passing my 11 plus, so I never went the Osmondthorpe Senior School. I intend to go back one day to see how much has changed in Osmondthorpe (plenty judged by Google Street View). The school for one thing was demolished many years back.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

I would never have seen coming is that there would be commercial premises where I could dip my feet in water to have a pedicure done by fish (there is such a place in The Light and a very recently opened one in the Merrion Centre). It sounds fun and I must try it one day (assuming the fish don't object (qoute Leodian)I have had my feet in those fish tanks many a time Leodian. I can assure you the fish wont object as they like older flaky skin (they like mine anyway)You have to brace yourself for the first 30 seconds as the sensation is quite intense.After that it's very pleasant and relaxing.I feel a lot better after it as it is good for your circulation but like most things in life it has it pros and cons i.e. If someone has been in before you with a cut etcMichael    

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

I would be fearful of the fish becoming over ambitious - don't even think about it - I'll stick with the good old bath tub
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

anthonydna

Post by anthonydna »

I reckon Nash's should get in on the act, they could offer a service where weary shoppers can stick their trotters in a big tank of chips for half an hour. You could then dust them off in scraps and put a few drops of vinegar on before heading back to Primark refreshed.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

anthonydna wrote: I reckon Nash's should get in on the act, they could offer a service where weary shoppers can stick their trotters in a big tank of chips for half an hour. You could then dust them off in scraps and put a few drops of vinegar on before heading back to Primark refreshed. That would be the plaice to go! Would the scraps be toenails?

volvojack

Re: It's funny how your mind wanders onto things (well mine does!).

Post by volvojack »

I keep finding these entertaining gems, i wonder if any of you older contributors ever look backat your posts,
excellent.