Bomb Damage

Houses, churches, monuments, graves, etc.
biker71

Post by biker71 »

Thanks for the above, I'm hoping to get up to the town hall on Thursday so I'll have a look around and get some pictures.Next stop is the city archives to try find some bomb damage reports, some of the other major cities compiled " bomb fall " maps and reports, I'm hoping Leeds did too, I'm hoping to photograph every area involved and if possible find contemporary photos to compare them with. If I find enough info etc I'm hoping to publish a book on wartime Leeds and Bradford, I'm incredibly surprised there isn't one already out there.

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

Johnny39 wrote: There used to be a shrapnel splash going up the wall close by the YEP, facing Wellington Street. I would imagine the wall is long gone. If I remember correctly it was hidden behind an advertisement hoarding for a long time. Just looked on the Google map and, as I suspected, the side wall is there but the front wall has gone.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

Pudseyite

Post by Pudseyite »

Here is an interesting zoomable ARP Bomb Map of West Yorkshire for 14th and 15th March 1941, which was the worst night of bombing for the area in the war. I don't think it's been posted on these forums before - I searched but couldn't find it - apologies if it already has been posted.http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=UTF ... 66&z=9Hope the link works!
From the heart of the bear country....

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Pudseyite wrote: Here is an interesting zoomable ARP Bomb Map of West Yorkshire for 14th and 15th March 1941, which was the worst night of bombing for the area in the war. I don't think it's been posted on these forums before - I searched but couldn't find it - apologies if it already has been posted.http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=UTF ... 66&z=9Hope the link works! Thanks for that extremely interesting link Pudseyite.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Leodian wrote: Pudseyite wrote: Here is an interesting zoomable ARP Bomb Map of West Yorkshire for 14th and 15th March 1941, which was the worst night of bombing for the area in the war. I don't think it's been posted on these forums before - I searched but couldn't find it - apologies if it already has been posted.http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=UTF ... 66&z=9Hope the link works! Thanks for that extremely interesting link Pudseyite. Seconded - absolutely fascinating!
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

kango

Post by kango »

Welcome aboard Pudseyite and a cracking first post.No mention of the bombs on Cross Flatts park and Flaxton terrace but then again that area went in the seventies so wont show on such a modern map,same as the streets running off Domestic Street they were bombed also, but again being demolished, not shown on this map.A lovely little gem more of the the same please.http://www.bbc.co.uk/leeds/content/arti ... ture.shtml    

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

My family lived in Belmont Grove near St. Georges and a bomb dropped nearby saw shrapnel break the downstairs window. My Grandad mounted the shrapnel piece on a wood base and used it as a paperweight!I have keepsakes but somehow that one didn't appeal so it's now lost.

keyholekate

Post by keyholekate »

The Parksider wrote: My family lived in Belmont Grove near St. Georges and a bomb dropped nearby saw shrapnel break the downstairs window. My Grandad mounted the shrapnel piece on a wood base and used it as a paperweight!I have keepsakes but somehow that one didn't appeal so it's now lost. Hi Parksider. . .I wonder if you have any old photos of Belmont Grove? I have good reason to be very interested . . hope that you can help.

Si

Post by Si »

16 - 18 Belmont Grove, 1963, from Leodis. There are a couple of others.
Attachments
__TFMF_cwme0ymf0b3tdu45z55ifb55_17fe5d07-67a5-4832-bfa1-cddb73555df9_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_cwme0ymf0b3tdu45z55ifb55_17fe5d07-67a5-4832-bfa1-cddb73555df9_0_main.jpg (59.91 KiB) Viewed 3418 times

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Si wrote: 16 - 18 Belmont Grove, 1963, from Leodis. There are a couple of others. Thanks Si, very much....