Silverdale and .......

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
JanCee

Post by JanCee »

Craig Home at Morecambe. Why we weren't sent to Silverdale I don't know but I wish we had been. After I had pleurisy at age 7 my sister and I were sent to Craig Home. I was a convalescent, I was told, which made me feel rather important.God it was awful. First we were told off for having packed [huh? at our age?] too many clothes. Apparently we needed only one change of clothes for the week. The day started with military style washing, I was told off for not having a sponge bag. Didn't know what a sponge bag was. Then we were forced, and I mean forced, to eat salted porridge. The mornings usually involved a walk, crocodile stylee. Then back for a frugal dinner. Afternoons, we played on the swings and rocking horse in the garden. Tea was one slice of bread and marge and a cup of tea. As a special treat on one night we got a Nice biscuit. Bed at 6.30 in a huge dormitory. The girl in the next bed to me was a Catholic. The first night she was sitting up with her hands together saying her prayers. The 'matron' came in and hit her round the head for not being laid down. Hard to believe these days isn't it? I hope she died a horrible death.One day they took us via the beach to Happy Mount Park. On the way back the tide came in and I remember us all having to cling to the cliffs edging along a ledge. I have never been as glad to get back to Leeds. Anyway. Did anyone else get sentenced to this awful place?

tinks

Post by tinks »

Just stumbled across this thread and you have brought back some horrible memories!I remember a friend at school telling me about this great place her and her brother went every year called Silverdale, so I bugged my mum for ages to apply to let me go. Unfortunate for me, the friend didnt get placed on the same 2 week 'holiday'..start of the rot!I can remember a large house, with a pool (which had leaves and garden fodder in it) some kind of play area which looks out to the sea, we were met by "Matron" and her husband and there was various youth workers. We had to eat what they gave us - I remember throwing up in my bowl after being forced to eat rhubarb, we were convinced the dormatory lighting had hidden speakers in them..looking back the treatment we got was barbaric..the "Matron" steamed open a letter I had wrote to my Grandad calling it a prison camp, and would he get me out, she made my life hell! We were made to go to church on a Sunday (in best clothes) and behave in front of the locals..The only 'good' things I can remember is all us kids just sticking together, the long walks in lovely surroundings and the sight of the YEP building as we arrived back home!My mother was horrfied when she saw me, she was convinced I had lost two stone!Needless to say..I was never allowed back again!Thank god for Easyjet these days!!    

keyholekate

Post by keyholekate »

In 1967 aged 7 I went to Silverdale with my sister who was 10. My mother was a single parent back in those days which was quite rare but she was an orphan in Mount St Mary's all her childhood ,was under the care of the Nuns until she was 21.She met and married our Dad ,an Irish chap who left when I was nine months old and the youngest of four children.We were all she had and she was all we had,no Grandparents or Aunties or cousins so I guess we really qualified for the "poor" children's trip to Silverdale.My mother kept telling us we would see the sea,it was always a regret for her that she could not take us on holidays . I remember the morning we went,my Mother tied her headscarf under her chin and we set off for somewhere down Great George street,me and my sister had matching dresses with spots on and red sandals with crepe soles and a bag with our toiletries,some toothpaste and a flannel. We queued to change in to Silverdale clothes which felt strange wearing other peoples clothes but we got used to it and boarded the bus.Our Mother kissed us and said "be good,look after each other and enjoy the sea".She also promised to send us ten bob by post for the second week .I think she was very emotional that day as she waved us off.On the bus we sang "one man went to mow" above the cries of some girls who were already homesick and those that were travel sick too."Ten green bottles" turned in to thousands before we got there ,it seemed a long journey.As my Mam promised I did see the sea,it was miles out!I was scared of the quick sand that my sister kept telling me I was walking in . The scenery from Silverdale was really beautiful and we saw spectacular thunderstorms over the bay.The sky at night was orange and black.We had trips in what to me seemed a forest and for the first time ever I saw a dead sheep ,I thought some murderer was on the loose killing sheep.We made friends with other kids and had arguments with other kids but all in all it was team building stuff years before its time.We had to help with the peeling of the spuds and making the supper of hot chocolate.Each morning at breakfast the post was given out and our ten bob arrived with a letter hoping that we were been good and our Mam was missing us and she would see us soon. A trip to the village post office crocodile style to cash the ten bob postal order along with the others was great,I bought a plastic purse with a map of Morecambe on and a comb and a pen with Morecambe for my Mam and some rock for my brothers.We went to the church too ,someone attending the church gave money to buy us all an ice cream. I liked the outdoor swimming pool in the hot weather and the team games we played.A couple more trips to the Giants footprint and the wishing well .I wished I was at home ,I was missing my Mam by now. I am amused when people say that it was terrible judging it on today's standards.Yes, as someone said thank goodness for Easy Jet,I think a lot of kids gained something from Silverdale if only it was the fact no matter what your circumstances and how you were living its a lovely feeling coming home .Even now me and my sister still laugh at our adventure and the fella who used to threaten with the slipper if we jumped from bed to bed ,my sister also buried some pennies in the grounds for when she went back again ,she must have liked it. And for my mother,she was pretty chuffed her kids saw the sea.

Si

Post by Si »

That brought a tear to my eye.

keyholekate

Post by keyholekate »

Thank you Si A couple of years ago I went back to have a look with my brother,very nostalgic it was.    
Attachments
__TFMF_meourxvjjhrfioykagboelrx_3da607c4-2e50-454e-9187-aa77bb6f657f_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_meourxvjjhrfioykagboelrx_3da607c4-2e50-454e-9187-aa77bb6f657f_0_main.jpg (383.61 KiB) Viewed 5129 times

Richard A Thackeray

Post by Richard A Thackeray »

Most of it's gone now, isn't it?But, there is a caravan/camping site there called 'Silverdales' (stopped there a few years ago)As for Happy Mount Park, I have happy memories of that places as a kid, but it died a horrible death, after being turned into 'Blobby-Land'!!!!!!!!!!!Morecambe Bay!?, love it, it's a gorgeous place - I even ran a half-marathon over the sands last year; from Flookburgh, back to Hest Bank (where there's the level-crossing over the East Coast Main Line onto the sands), finishing in 1.42:52 - even allowing for the waistdeep crossings of the Kent & Keer ChannelsRegarding Morecambe itself, now that the Midland Hotel is re-opened (& what a superb building it is too!), maybe it will 'kick-start' the rest of the town, or at the least persuade Lancaster Council not to treat Morecambe as the poor/mad relation to be kept hidden away in shameYes!!!, & those thoughts do come from a born & bred Yorkshireman!    

keyholekate

Post by keyholekate »

RichT wrote: Most of it's gone now, isn't it?But, there is a caravan/camping site there called 'Silverdales' (stopped there a few years ago)As for Happy Mount Park, I have happy memories of that places as a kid, but it died a horrible death, after being turned into 'Blobby-Land'!!!!!!!!!!!Morecambe Bay!?, love it, it's a gorgeous place - I even ran a half-marathon over the sands last year; from Flookburgh, back to Hest Bank (where there's the level-crossing over the East Coast Main Line onto the sands), finishing in 1.42:52 - even allowing for the waistdeep crossings of the Kent & Keer ChannelsRegarding Morecambe itself, now that the Midland Hotel is re-opened (& what a superb building it is too!), maybe it will 'kick-start' the rest of the town, or at the least persuade Lancaster Council not to treat Morecambe as the poor/mad relation to be kept hidden away in shameYes!!!, & those thoughts do come from a born & bred Yorkshireman!     Silverdale is still going strong RichT,today Leeds kids go for a five day trip,kids who are neglected or poor or live with domestic abuse . And if you are one of those kids i think they would enjoy the Silverdale Camp of today.

keyholekate

Post by keyholekate »

The Silverdale dining room .
Attachments
__TFMF_meourxvjjhrfioykagboelrx_bde9ac1b-bc99-47bc-8dca-4209a70da4f1_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_meourxvjjhrfioykagboelrx_bde9ac1b-bc99-47bc-8dca-4209a70da4f1_0_main.jpg (389.6 KiB) Viewed 5129 times

keyholekate

Post by keyholekate »

The Silverdale pool,today it is covered in a heated conservatory .
Attachments
__TFMF_meourxvjjhrfioykagboelrx_8c3947c6-b36c-4919-aecb-3752aed409d5_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_meourxvjjhrfioykagboelrx_8c3947c6-b36c-4919-aecb-3752aed409d5_0_main.jpg (112.68 KiB) Viewed 5129 times

keyholekate

Post by keyholekate »

The camp song. . lol
Attachments
__TFMF_meourxvjjhrfioykagboelrx_34701424-0505-4c8f-bdab-ca6c9ac9e12b_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_meourxvjjhrfioykagboelrx_34701424-0505-4c8f-bdab-ca6c9ac9e12b_0_main.jpg (418.39 KiB) Viewed 5129 times