Crossgates Manston lane

The green spaces and places of Leeds
biggee99

Post by biggee99 »

chameleon wrote: Brunel wrote: This is also in the field, where the shed foundations are. Someone enquired of the Council about this sometime ago, to be told they knew nothing about it! Think it's in the original Barnbow thread. Cows were grazing in these fields that are contaminated for years until they were no money in milk farmer said waste of time.university have been around last year taking samples of the land
biggee

liits

Post by liits »

biggee99 wrote: The shelters are here.the munitions storage is a bit away off this site and they is no information any where, storage is where the people are, back againuse the people as pawns as they where indispensable.As the troups are now in the wars indispensable. I hate to say this, biggee99, but the [relatively small amount] of sub-surface, air raid accommodation at the ROF site is well documented and was nothing to do with anything WW1. I can assure you that there is no “large underground shelter” and you can save yourself some shovel time because there is no huge underground munitions storage area either, close or otherwise! I would be interested to know where the Google Earth shot is from in relation to this site but, wherever it is, I can assure you that any buildings in it date from no earlier than 1941. Please, please, Biggee99, drop the “area 51” guff and realise that the Public Records Office has had all this stuff free to the public realm for a long time. What you see is what there is.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

This is the Google street view pointing straight ahead to the aerial image location Liits.http://snipurl.com/vwhqrIt's hid behind the embankement. But you can get your bearings to locate it on Google earth from that e.t.c.        
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

liits

Post by liits »

chameleon wrote: biggee99 wrote: The shelters are here.the munitions storage is a bit away off this site and they is no information any where, storage is where the people are, back againuse the people as pawns as they where indispensable.As the troups are now in the wars indispensable. Yes indeed, what would we do without them     I emailed Leeds City Council after taking the photo of the sign. Having looked on the "Contaminated Land" register and not having found anywhere that relates to the WW1 Filling Factory I thought I would be well worth asking. I still didn't get a decent reply but [now, working for a Local Authority] I'm not surprised. As to cows grazing on the land... there wee sheep grazing on the land which is why I put the request in to LCC in the first place.PhilD, the clip from Steet View that you have posted relates to where the CPRO [Central Personnel Recors Office] was located -commonly called the admin building. While it's true that they did have a sub surface basement, it didn't contain any kind of magazine for munitions, but it did have a very nice Chatwood Milner strong-room dating back to the days when the work force were paid in cash.Come on Biggee99, spill the beans!

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

I would guess Biggee is saying the underground storage is under the part of the site that's still been used. By his clue 'storage is where the people are, back again' I think he's saying the powers that be had built over, and have purposefully employed innocent/unaware people to work on top of it, in the hope that any finger on the big button wouldn't target a civilian area. It must be a real top secret thing under there for sure. Just my guess anyways!
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

liits

Post by liits »

Phill_dvsn wrote: I would guess Biggee is saying the underground storage is under the part of the site that's still been used. By his clue 'storage is where the people are, back again' I think he's saying the powers that be had built over, and have purposefully employed innocent/unaware people to work on top of it, in the hope that any finger on the big button wouldn't target a civilian area. It must be a real top secret thing under there for sure. Just my guess anyways! This must also have been where they kept the little gray men fom Rosewell, too eh?!No doubt a good interpretation, Phill, but, tosh, none the less!

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Phill_dvsn wrote: I would guess Biggee is saying the underground storage is under the part of the site that's still been used. By his clue 'storage is where the people are, back again' I think he's saying the powers that be had built over, and have purposefully employed innocent/unaware people to work on top of it, in the hope that any finger on the big button wouldn't target a civilian area. It must be a real top secret thing under there for sure. Just my guess anyways! Love these secret places Phill....

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

chameleon wrote: Phill_dvsn wrote: I would guess Biggee is saying the underground storage is under the part of the site that's still been used. By his clue 'storage is where the people are, back again' I think he's saying the powers that be had built over, and have purposefully employed innocent/unaware people to work on top of it, in the hope that any finger on the big button wouldn't target a civilian area. It must be a real top secret thing under there for sure. Just my guess anyways! Love these secret places Phill.... I've actually found a top secret (not no more lol) underground circular bunker in the well tended back garden of an ex Leeds Lord mayor, An Alderman, and Councilor of some great standing in his time. And the best bit of all-He was A FREE MASON He was involved in something big, i'll only refer too as the 'Esoteric Affair'Heavily cropped image attached to keep the location a secret until i investigate further...shhh!             
Attachments
__TFMF_prvoylubscfjyr555ke0lsav_9b5e5a43-b87a-40bf-b412-fb5addd454b3_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_prvoylubscfjyr555ke0lsav_9b5e5a43-b87a-40bf-b412-fb5addd454b3_0_main.jpg (19.45 KiB) Viewed 2605 times

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Phill_dvsn wrote: chameleon wrote: Phill_dvsn wrote: I would guess Biggee is saying the underground storage is under the part of the site that's still been used. By his clue 'storage is where the people are, back again' I think he's saying the powers that be had built over, and have purposefully employed innocent/unaware people to work on top of it, in the hope that any finger on the big button wouldn't target a civilian area. It must be a real top secret thing under there for sure. Just my guess anyways! Love these secret places Phill.... I've actually found a top secret (not no more lol) underground circular bunker in the well tended back garden of an ex Leeds Lord mayor, An Alderman, and Councilor of some great standing in his time. And the best bit of all-He was A FREE MASON He was envolved in something big, i'll only refer too as the 'Esoteric Affair'Heavily cropped image attached to keep the location a secret until i investigate further...shhh!          Which side of the pic does the sun rise on? And I bet there's a tunnel directly to the Civic Hall too isn't there    

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Forgive my ignorance (and lack of recent posting), but once the munitions were made, where were they kept? It makes sense there were some sort of storage units, underground or not that the shells etc were kept in, or were they just produced and then "trained" away to the ports to be shipped to the troops as they were made?