Harry Ramsdens sold!

Your favourite days out round Leeds
Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

HR had been a public company for years - it belonged to Associated Fisheries Ltd long before the days of PLCs. But, I guess the difference was that AF understood the value of quality and location, and didn't seek to start opening up in places far removed from home where fish 'n chips had a different pedigree. I don't recall going to HR's often - our family preferred the Fountain fisheries at Yeadon, which still seems to be popular despite Murgatroyds being opposite. I've heard it said that HR only became famous because it was open on Sundays, which in pre-war days was unusual. It was in a strategic position as well, particularly in days when there were bus termini there.
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

Brandy wrote: Uno Hoo wrote: Maybe it'll be faggots 'n chips from now on, then? Its some asian business man whos snapped it up!Its now called Harry Ramadans lolps/billy murgs is miles better anyroad! Nice one, Brandy You might have to keep your Eid down now, though!
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

Si wrote: Leeds-lad wrote: Hopefully their chip shop curry will taste better than the garbage served up in most fish shopsMy honest opinion is that foreigners should stick to serving their own food and leave Fish & Chips to the English Perhaps so, but our local chippie is now run by a couple from Krakow, and is very good. However, I haven't tried their curry sauce...     It might be poles apart from the Asian stuff.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Uno Hoo wrote: HR had been a public company for years - it belonged to Associated Fisheries Ltd long before the days of PLCs. But, I guess the difference was that AF understood the value of quality and location, and didn't seek to start opening up in places far removed from home where fish 'n chips had a different pedigree. I don't recall going to HR's often - our family preferred the Fountain fisheries at Yeadon, which still seems to be popular despite Murgatroyds being opposite. I've heard it said that HR only became famous because it was open on Sundays, which in pre-war days was unusual. It was in a strategic position as well, particularly in days when there were bus termini there. Presumably there was an original Mr McDonald who produced burgers that tasted of something other than cardboard.
Industria Omnia Vincit

Si

Post by Si »

Trojan wrote: Uno Hoo wrote: HR had been a public company for years - it belonged to Associated Fisheries Ltd long before the days of PLCs. But, I guess the difference was that AF understood the value of quality and location, and didn't seek to start opening up in places far removed from home where fish 'n chips had a different pedigree. I don't recall going to HR's often - our family preferred the Fountain fisheries at Yeadon, which still seems to be popular despite Murgatroyds being opposite. I've heard it said that HR only became famous because it was open on Sundays, which in pre-war days was unusual. It was in a strategic position as well, particularly in days when there were bus termini there. Presumably there was an original Mr McDonald who produced burgers that tasted of something other than cardboard. They were the McDonald brothers, who sold their burger-joint (and name) to a large corporation many years ago (early 50s?) Incidentally, McDonald's is just their trading name. The actual company is called "Golden Arches Restaurants." They hate it if you say "big yellow M"!!! Their HQ was (is?) in Finchley, north London. The same muzak (as played in the outlets) is piped throughout the building, and cannot be turned off, except in the chairman's office. Their canteen is a McDonalds, but with more salad!    

alanlad

Post by alanlad »

Murgatroyds are quite nice...but has anyone tasted them from Wetherby Whaler? They are superb. Think they are in Pudsey too, or a branch of theirs is. There is also a fish and chip shop/restaurant on the main road, further towards Guisley that, I've been told, is excellent.
Don't count the days; make the days count!

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

Si wrote: Trojan wrote: Uno Hoo wrote: HR had been a public company for years - it belonged to Associated Fisheries Ltd long before the days of PLCs. But, I guess the difference was that AF understood the value of quality and location, and didn't seek to start opening up in places far removed from home where fish 'n chips had a different pedigree. I don't recall going to HR's often - our family preferred the Fountain fisheries at Yeadon, which still seems to be popular despite Murgatroyds being opposite. I've heard it said that HR only became famous because it was open on Sundays, which in pre-war days was unusual. It was in a strategic position as well, particularly in days when there were bus termini there. Presumably there was an original Mr McDonald who produced burgers that tasted of something other than cardboard. They were the McDonald brothers, who sold their burger-joint (and name) to a large corporation many years ago (early 50s?) Incidentally, McDonald's is just their trading name. The actual company is called "Golden Arches Restaraunts." They hate it if you say "big yellow M"!!! Their HQ was (is?) in Finchley, north London. The same muzak (as played in the outlets) is piped throughout the building, and cannot be turned off, except in the chairman's office. Their canteen is a McDonalds, but with more salad! Don't their salads contain (allegedly) more unsaturated fats than their burgers?There used to be a sign on the approach to Thornbury roundabout from the Leeds direction which said "Drive-Thru' McDonalds"I'd love to have done so.In a bulldozer.There's a branch of the Godforsaken outfit in our local ASDA at Dudley Hill. I think the stench is one reason why I don't shop there - Mrs Hoo and I prefer the other big M - Morrisons. Anyway, I was in ASDA one day when I overheard a harassed mum - there always seem to be a lot of those in ASDA - say to her sulky offspring: "If you don't behave, you won't go to McDonalds!"I couldn't work out whether that was a threat, or a promise.

Dalehelms

Post by Dalehelms »

I used to take my son to "Harry's" in the 70's for his birthday party on 18th December. There used to be presents round the bottom of the Christmas Tree. When the birthday meal was finished, all the party children went to the tree and received presents. My lad loved it. I recently took American guests to eat at "Harry's " in Guiseley. The meal was OKish. When I spoke to the waitress, who'd been there for decades, about the Christmas Tree and presents, she said they'd had to stop the practice as today's kids simply went to the tree and helped themselves!As for good fish and chips.......Springfield Fisheries in Guiseley is grand. You can have a good fish tea eating in, or a take away. The place's claim to fame is that it was started by "Harry's" sister and also that it was run by Harry Corbett's mum and dad.....him of Sooty and Sweep fame.

simong

Post by simong »

alanlad wrote: Murgatroyds are quite nice...but has anyone tasted them from Wetherby Whaler? They are superb. Think they are in Pudsey too, or a branch of theirs is. There is also a fish and chip shop/restaurant on the main road, further towards Guisley that, I've been told, is excellent. You're probably thinking of Westfield, which proudly proclaims that it won the YEP's best fish and chip restaurant in 2003 or somesuch. I've only had food from the takeaway and it was less than impressive, but that seems to be the case with other chippies in the area.

yorkiesknob

Post by yorkiesknob »

Dalehelms wrote: I used to take my son to "Harry's" in the 70's for his birthday party on 18th December. There used to be presents round the bottom of the Christmas Tree. When the birthday meal was finished, all the party children went to the tree and received presents. My lad loved it. I recently took American guests to eat at "Harry's " in Guiseley. The meal was OKish. When I spoke to the waitress, who'd been there for decades, about the Christmas Tree and presents, she said they'd had to stop the practice as today's kids simply went to the tree and helped themselves!As for good fish and chips.......Springfield Fisheries in Guiseley is grand. You can have a good fish tea eating in, or a take away. The place's claim to fame is that it was started by "Harry's" sister and also that it was run by Harry Corbett's mum and dad.....him of Sooty and Sweep fame. Dalehelms, Harry Corbett use to enjoy the odd pint in the Station Hotel Guiseley. My aunt and uncle owned the Station in the 60/70s.Also use to get visitors from High Royds on time out/ release day.Interesting days to say the least ,but no bother to any one.
Where there's muck there's money. Where there's money there's a fiddle.