Springfield?

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Si

Post by Si »

I've found another picture of the Springfield. Obviously an earlier shot, as it seems to have had a major extension at some time, compared to the pic at the top of the thread.
Attachments
__TFMF_4xdvoyihyp1kxh45v4wl5i55_dc4a46c3-a60d-41b1-8f1f-7f2bf84d920a_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_4xdvoyihyp1kxh45v4wl5i55_dc4a46c3-a60d-41b1-8f1f-7f2bf84d920a_0_main.jpg (49.39 KiB) Viewed 8098 times

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Si wrote: I've found another picture of the Springfield. Obviously an earlier shot, as it seems to have had a major extension at some time, compared to the pic at the top of the thread. Where are the yellow people?
Industria Omnia Vincit

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

[quotenick="SiPS Blakey - I noticed in a picture of Ledgard's Nelson garage entrance in Armley in "Beer and Blue Buses", that next door was B. Cavill's model shop. I used to spend my pocket money in there in the 60s. The two kids in the picture look uncannily like me and my brother! What a fascinating topic this has turned out to be - a couple of days ago I had never heard of "Springfield."    I spoke to my friend this evening and he tells me that his Mother's large family moved from their birthplace in Kirkham Abbey (Whitwell Hill) to Billingham and soon afterwards several of them moved down here for work. So before, during and after WW2 no less than five of them worked at Springfield Nursing Home. My friend's mother was a cleaner as was one of her sisters, another lady was a nurse and yet one more was a cook - plus a brother who was Head Gardener. Their family name was SHAW. The establishment became a children's home some time around the 1980sThe little shop which is now derelict was run by a lady called Miss Welburn, who Don remembers as wearing a long black dress and had her grey air in a bun. Almost certainly there was no petrol filling station at Dean Head. A fascinating saga indeed.    
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Si

Post by Si »

It's what the site is for, Blakey!

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Si wrote: It's what the site is for, Blakey! My friend recently told me that quite late in its career the place was a convalescent home for the Leeds Workpeoples Hospital Fund. I've just realised that I had a week's convalescence myself at their home in Bridington in 2000. The latter has recently been sold by The Fund for flats, but I'm pretty certain that it, too, was called the Springfield Convalescent Home and so I daresay it was named after the Scotlnad Lane one here.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Keg

Post by Keg »

I used to live in cookridge and walked across the fields to the Airport many a time past this in the late 70s and i'm pretty sure it was still a home then.
Keg

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Keg wrote: I used to live in cookridge and walked across the fields to the Airport many a time past this in the late 70s and i'm pretty sure it was still a home then. Probably so, as the Bridlington place was very new and modern - I suppose it could have taken the name of the Horsforth home and the two may have overlapped.

p

Post by p »

I remember coming across this place back in 2001 (at bottom of Whitehouse Lane on the end of a shortish driveway if it's the same place) the building looked a bit different to the photo's, strangely it looked to be still in use even though it was in a bad state! It had one of those old 80s style Leeds Council signs on the end of the driveway and I think that said it was a school. Nowadays It looks to have been converted into a conference centre and offices.    

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

BLAKEY wrote: Si wrote: It's what the site is for, Blakey! My friend recently told me that quite late in its career the place was a convalescent home for the Leeds Workpeoples Hospital Fund. I've just realised that I had a week's convalescence myself at their home in Bridington in 2000. The latter has recently been sold by The Fund for flats, but I'm pretty certain that it, too, was called the Springfield Convalescent Home and so I daresay it was named after the Scotlnad Lane one here. Yes, the place in Bridlington was indeed called the Springfield Convalescent Home and I remember visiting my Dad for the day when he stayed there for a week in the late 1970s through the Hospital Fund.    This was it:http://goo.gl/maps/OVqTqAt the time when the Google car passed, it seemed to have been owned by the British Legion.

jdbythesea

Post by jdbythesea »

Tasa wrote: BLAKEY wrote: Si wrote: It's what the site is for, Blakey! My friend recently told me that quite late in its career the place was a convalescent home for the Leeds Workpeoples Hospital Fund. I've just realised that I had a week's convalescence myself at their home in Bridington in 2000. The latter has recently been sold by The Fund for flats, but I'm pretty certain that it, too, was called the Springfield Convalescent Home and so I daresay it was named after the Scotlnad Lane one here. Yes, the place in Bridlington was indeed called the Springfield Convalescent Home and I remember visiting my Dad for the day when he stayed there for a week in the late 1970s through the Hospital Fund.    This was it:http://goo.gl/maps/OVqTqAt the time when the Google car passed, it seemed to have been owned by the British Legion. It is now called Alderson House. Situated on South Marine Drive it became a Royal British Legion Poppy Break Hotel several years ago.