Buslingthorpe Conservation Area

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

As reported in tonights YEP, the council has used "emergency powers" to designate a new conservation area in Buslingthorpe.http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... .jpCouncil bosses in Leeds have taken swift action to protect an important part of the city's industrial heritage by making a conservation area in Buslingthorpe.The council used special powers to designate the conservation area without first going out to public consultation to prevent any premature loss of buildings from redevelopment.Work on the preparation of a conservation area management plan will begin soon, which will go out to public consultation.The protection covers a group of buildings that were a key part of the area's former tanning and leatherwork industry.English Heritage has backed the new conservation area, which it says covers an area of arguably national as well as local interest. Coun Andrew Carter, council leader, said: "We are fortunate to retain a number of historic industrial buildings in Leeds. The importance of some of these has only been recognised very recently, with Buslingthorpe being the most important one not already covered by a conservation area."Following the demolition of two tanneries in recent years, it was clear to us that the unique character of the area could be lost unless urgent action was taken to protect the remaining buildings."There is a map on the council website:http://www.leeds.gov.uk/files/Internet2 ... %20(3).pdf
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

The linky above is slightly broken, this should work.http://www.leeds.gov.uk/files/Internet2 ... 283%29.pdf

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Ha ha. That's funny.I only photographed the very same buildings myself this Saturday gone lol The first 8 pics on this page here are the area in question.http://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/    
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

raveydavey wrote: As reported in tonights YEP, the council has used "emergency powers" to designate a new conservation area in Buslingthorpe..pdf As miserable an area as you can find, at least I found it to be when I had a quick look saturday. It's great to conserve some things, but I'm not too sure what extra the area offers!!!Some of the old mills along the beck Meanwood road side are conserved by rennovation and re-use. I was interested in finding what else remains and in particular travelling the old roads "Scott wood Lane" and "Bell Lane" that were the highways and byeways before Scott Hall Road was built.On that side of the valley were extensive quarries that have been skillfully landscaped such as you can find nothing of them. All quarrymans cottages and small holdings are gone too, so the area has been returned to what it may have been 400 years ago!Scott Wood Lane is flat straight and wide enough to imagine the carts running along it to serve the quarries and smallholdings, and a few hundred yards on from the Bus Lane end of it is a fine three storey Georgian? house made of old hand made bricks, that is obviously re-roofed. That's a highly interesting building sat in the "woods" and I wonder if anyone knows what is was and what it was for with the top floor looking very workshops - ish.Further along is a tall one story building in stone with a very high arched drive in section that drives straight through another high arch and out the back. Great pains have been taken to prevent entry to this building and the construction is for an obvious working purpose but I simply cannot remember what this style of building was for. Anyone help here??So I found these two buildings and the old Lane absolutely fascinating, and it's worth parking up in Bus Lane and having a wander - see if you can see why "they"suddenly decided to make it a conservation area?Such things should be left to the good people of this site to decide.........

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

The Parksider wrote: raveydavey wrote: As reported in tonights YEP, the council has used "emergency powers" to designate a new conservation area in Buslingthorpe..pdf As miserable an area as you can find, at least I found it to be when I had a quick look saturday. It's great to conserve some things, but I'm not too sure what extra the area offers!!!Some of the old mills along the beck Meanwood road side are conserved by rennovation and re-use. I was interested in finding what else remains and in particular travelling the old roads "Scott wood Lane" and "Bell Lane" that were the highways and byeways before Scott Hall Road was built.On that side of the valley were extensive quarries that have been skillfully landscaped such as you can find nothing of them. All quarrymans cottages and small holdings are gone too, so the area has been returned to what it may have been 400 years ago!Scott Wood Lane is flat straight and wide enough to imagine the carts running along it to serve the quarries and smallholdings, and a few hundred yards on from the Bus Lane end of it is a fine three storey Georgian? house made of old hand made bricks, that is obviously re-roofed. That's a highly interesting building sat in the "woods" and I wonder if anyone knows what is was and what it was for with the top floor looking very workshops - ish.Further along is a tall one story building in stone with a very high arched drive in section that drives straight through another high arch and out the back. Great pains have been taken to prevent entry to this building and the construction is for an obvious working purpose but I simply cannot remember what this style of building was for. Anyone help here??So I found these two buildings and the old Lane absolutely fascinating, and it's worth parking up in Bus Lane and having a wander - see if you can see why "they"suddenly decided to make it a conservation area?Such things should be left to the good people of this site to decide......... One artefact we seek to preswerve down that way, is a pair of stone skulls adorning still (we hop), a newer building in the area

Loiner in Cyprus

Post by Loiner in Cyprus »

The Parksider wrote: raveydavey wrote: As reported in tonights YEP, the council has used "emergency powers" to designate a new conservation area in Buslingthorpe..pdf As miserable an area as you can find, at least I found it to be when I had a quick look saturday. It's great to conserve some things, but I'm not too sure what extra the area offers!!!Some of the old mills along the beck Meanwood road side are conserved by rennovation and re-use. I was interested in finding what else remains and in particular travelling the old roads "Scott wood Lane" and "Bell Lane" that were the highways and byeways before Scott Hall Road was built.On that side of the valley were extensive quarries that have been skillfully landscaped such as you can find nothing of them. All quarrymans cottages and small holdings are gone too, so the area has been returned to what it may have been 400 years ago!Scott Wood Lane is flat straight and wide enough to imagine the carts running along it to serve the quarries and smallholdings, and a few hundred yards on from the Bus Lane end of it is a fine three storey Georgian? house made of old hand made bricks, that is obviously re-roofed. That's a highly interesting building sat in the "woods" and I wonder if anyone knows what is was and what it was for with the top floor looking very workshops - ish.Further along is a tall one story building in stone with a very high arched drive in section that drives straight through another high arch and out the back. Great pains have been taken to prevent entry to this building and the construction is for an obvious working purpose but I simply cannot remember what this style of building was for. Anyone help here??So I found these two buildings and the old Lane absolutely fascinating, and it's worth parking up in Bus Lane and having a wander - see if you can see why "they"suddenly decided to make it a conservation area?Such things should be left to the good people of this site to decide......... This post has got me being nostaglic with myself. It must be 50 years ago or more since I walked down Scot Wood Lane from Potternewton to Buslingthorpe Lane. The memories are fading but I seem to remember just before you reached Buslingthorpe Lane there was a big old farm house on the left with lots of pigeons. Then just before the mill/tannery(?) on the right there was an area where there were air raid shelters. Between the air raid shelters and Scot Wood Lane, next to the path that went to the Sugar Well Estate, next to the 'Dammy', there was a pond that had newts in it.Next time I am in Leeds, probably next Summer, I have vowed to myself I must go and have a look.

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

Even "Street Vw" does not venture down here.
Attachments
__TFMF_lrz3vz45etojkmiakiagd0vl_e4928665-7e74-4477-83b0-ea071ad38c24_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_lrz3vz45etojkmiakiagd0vl_e4928665-7e74-4477-83b0-ea071ad38c24_0_main.jpg (287.35 KiB) Viewed 4945 times

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

It does go down Ridge Road on the otherside of the valley though.

Si

Post by Si »

chameleon wrote: The Parksider wrote: raveydavey wrote: As reported in tonights YEP, the council has used "emergency powers" to designate a new conservation area in Buslingthorpe..pdf As miserable an area as you can find, at least I found it to be when I had a quick look saturday. It's great to conserve some things, but I'm not too sure what extra the area offers!!!Some of the old mills along the beck Meanwood road side are conserved by rennovation and re-use. I was interested in finding what else remains and in particular travelling the old roads "Scott wood Lane" and "Bell Lane" that were the highways and byeways before Scott Hall Road was built.On that side of the valley were extensive quarries that have been skillfully landscaped such as you can find nothing of them. All quarrymans cottages and small holdings are gone too, so the area has been returned to what it may have been 400 years ago!Scott Wood Lane is flat straight and wide enough to imagine the carts running along it to serve the quarries and smallholdings, and a few hundred yards on from the Bus Lane end of it is a fine three storey Georgian? house made of old hand made bricks, that is obviously re-roofed. That's a highly interesting building sat in the "woods" and I wonder if anyone knows what is was and what it was for with the top floor looking very workshops - ish.Further along is a tall one story building in stone with a very high arched drive in section that drives straight through another high arch and out the back. Great pains have been taken to prevent entry to this building and the construction is for an obvious working purpose but I simply cannot remember what this style of building was for. Anyone help here??So I found these two buildings and the old Lane absolutely fascinating, and it's worth parking up in Bus Lane and having a wander - see if you can see why "they"suddenly decided to make it a conservation area?Such things should be left to the good people of this site to decide......... One artefact we seek to preserve down that way, is a pair of stone skulls adorning still (we hope), a newer building in the area That crossed my mind, an'all, Chameleon.

Si

Post by Si »

The Parksider wrote: raveydavey wrote: As reported in tonights YEP, the council has used "emergency powers" to designate a new conservation area in Buslingthorpe..pdf Further along is a tall one story building in stone with a very high arched drive in section that drives straight through another high arch and out the back. Great pains have been taken to prevent entry to this building and the construction is for an obvious working purpose but I simply cannot remember what this style of building was for. Anyone help here?? If it's single storey, does it have a flat roof? Could something (quarried stone?) be tipped into waggons passing beneath through the arches? Perhaps it's made secure to stop people falling through?