Vanishing Breweries

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

We've already got a Lost Pubs thread, so what about a Vanishing Breweries one?There was the Whitbread (I think) Brewery at Kirkstall, now student flats, as well as the BYB brewery at Woodlesford.If the YEP is to be believed we may soon be lamenting the passing of Tetleys too, as property developers eye up a massive site slap bang in the middle of an area undergoing massive regeneration that no-one could have forseen just 10 years ago.Best get down to LS10 with your cameras before it's too late!
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

Ay-oop Dave - Twiggs here ;-) Used to live opposite the Sandford Arms, just up the hill from the Whitbread Brewery. When the wind was in the right (wrong?) direction you'd start gagging for a pint, with the smell of the fallout from the tall brewery chimbly blowing through our street! I allus had an excuse if my mum smelled beer after one of my underage drinking sessions...."but mam, it's not ME - wind's blowin up from t'brewery" :-)The renovation there is absolutely fantastic tho and FAR too good for chuffin students. Typical LCC - the terrible state of schools in Leeds and the closing of youth centres through "lack of funds" and the worst public transport system in any major city in the country...yet HOW many millions did they spend on creating what are basically luxury flats for spongeing students?OOPS! Rambling a usual. Another memory...BYB brewery tour, when I were about 16. As usual, free samples were flowing fast and furious and by the end of the tour, I was wobbling, to say the least.The exit door led out onto the narrowest pavement in Yorkshire on the main Woodlesford Road. I staggered out after the tour and the fresh air hit me, causing me to stumble into the path of an artic lorry, doing 50. My workmate Mick Brown pulled me back to safety in the nick of time! I was shaking all the way home in the car - also cos Mick who was driving was almost as drunk as me!
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

Bugger - double post again. Grr! Bluddy forum!
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Quite a lot of pubs used to brew their own beer - for instance The Cardigan Arms - the brewery building is still there behind the pub.There would have been literally hundreds of these of various sizes in Victorian times.The most recent, I think, was the Fox and Newt in Burley which called itself the Leeds Brewhouse Company , but stopped brewing a few years ago.Surprisingly the Bowling Alley at the Warner village in Kirkstall brewed its own beer and lager (The Original Brewing company) when it first opened - a brave experiment that sadly did not last (Its customers were more interested in bottles of Budweiser or Bacardi Breezer than something that had an actual taste, I suppose)Another surprise was the 'Ale House' off-licence on Woodhouse Lane which I believe was unique amongst off-licences in brewing its own beer in the 80s/ 90s - but stopped brewing a few years ago.Amongst larger, more commercial breweries I know ofTetley (Duh)Kirkstall/Duttons/Whitbread at Kirkstall (ceased c 1978/9)Albion (where Morrisons Merrion Centre now is) ceased 1933Melbourne (where Christopher Pratts/Maplins is on Regent street) taken over by Tetleys in 1960 - brewing stooped early/mid 60sMcQuat's ( somewhere on Meadow lane)Willow Brewery (near willow Road, Kirkstall) taken over by Kirkstall brewery 1928Borough Brewery , Burley(alphabet streets) - I believe taken over by Ind. Coope'sSavile Green brewery . Burmantofts - later " Leeds and Batley Brewery co. - taken over by Ind.coope.Musgrave and Sagar (somewhere in Kirkstall/Burley)Hemingway (York Road- not sure exactly where - near Seacroft hospital??)Brunswick Brewery (leylands) - poss black beer onlyHope Brewery (Regent street - taken over by Melbourne)Mather's black beer (upper wortley road)Dantzic brewery , Regent street - black beer.Union Cross brewery, stocks hill, ArmleyBarchester Ales brewery, Tong Rd wortley (poss black beer only)I'm not counting BYB at Woodlesford, I wouldn't count that as Leeds, really.There were also many Maltster's , such as Armley Brewery ltd, who apparently didn't actually brew beer but supplied malt to others.Thanks to 'Leodis' for much of this info
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Barwicker

Post by Barwicker »

What a wonderful list of breweries from Drapesy but was not Hemingways somewhere behind York Road Swimming Baths?

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Barwicker wrote: What a wonderful list of breweries from Drapesy but was not Hemingways somewhere behind York Road Swimming Baths? Was it? I've never known where it was exactly.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

jf

Post by jf »

I used to work in a building called 'The Old Brewery' on the calls - it's the building with railings at the front just past Leeds Parish Church on the loop road. Any idea which brewery this would have been? It's quite an old building.

Barwicker

Post by Barwicker »

Back to Hemingways Brewery. The address was York Road, Leeds and the 1908 OS Map shows a Malthouse situated on York Road, between the old Library/Baths and Pontefract Lane. That could be the site.

Jailhouse John

Post by Jailhouse John »

drapesy wrote: Barwicker wrote: What a wonderful list of breweries from Drapesy but was not Hemingways somewhere behind York Road Swimming Baths? Was it? I've never known where it was exactly. Hemingways always had a huge advertising placard on York Rd
JJFROM ER TO ETERNITY

simonm

Post by simonm »

Welcome aboard JJ, tought you might like this place!! As to the breweries I remember. The only one being the Maccesons at Kirkstall Brewery. Interesting that there were a few in the Armley / Worltey area, never knew that!!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"