Cockerel

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
munki

Post by munki »

Is this the logo of a company that used to inhabit this building on the north side of Kirkgate?
Attachments
Cockerel.jpg
Cockerel.jpg (8.88 KiB) Viewed 4741 times
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

Leeds Lass

Post by Leeds Lass »

Munki, is it the very first KFC in Leeds??!!! lol ;-)

geoffb

Post by geoffb »

There was a pub on kirkgate called the golden cock, renamed the Precinct in the early 70s

Loinerpete

Post by Loinerpete »

I remember the Golden Cock very well, a great pub, and when it changed name to the precinct it was home to Bowie/Roxy nights on a tuesday,the place has had a few bob of mine thats for sure.

munki

Post by munki »

Was it the building in the picture?
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

geoffb

Post by geoffb »

dont know, but it was located kirkgate north, now it would be under the Darbar Indian Restaurant (best curry in Leeds by the way)

Loinerpete

Post by Loinerpete »

munki wrote: Was it the building in the picture? Yep, that is indeed the roof of the Golden cock or the precinct depending on your age, its just further along kirkgate from the darbaar

dERvXeroX

Post by dERvXeroX »

Didn't the Darbar used to be a seedy nightclub called Stallones?

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

I seem to remember something vey similar on the Broadway pub on Dewsbury road. Could it be a brewery logo?
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

jf

Post by jf »

It looks like the symbol for Courage's Brewery, though a bit out of territory. I can't see Leeds folks having the palette for flat west country bitter, though I once enjoyed the odd pint or three of Director's bitter in the Union bar. Courage got absorbed by Scottish and Newcastle, the Brewery closing in 1999, gone the way of most other regional big breweries.http://www.lightingthedarkness.co.uk/pi ... 20(23).JPG