Remembering Folk Clubs in the 60's-70's

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
kenneth

Post by kenneth »

Hannibal69 wrote: kenneth wrote: Hannibal69 wrote: kenneth wrote: That is really interesting. If you see him give him my regards and remind him about making his playing debut at my club The Folkus Club at The Prince of Wales in the late 60's- it's a small world Cheers Ken,I'd be more than happy to pass on your regards to him the next time I see Dave. As I was only just born in 69, he'll probably wonder how the hell I know all about this stuff about those days!!! LOL All the best mate,Han. He might have to trawl through his memory but he might just remember. And thank you Cheers Ken,both Dave's memory and his playing style are still pretty sharp, well, I mean, at least for his age that is, (and the milage)!!! LOL. Seriously though, he is the first to admin that his fingers are that little bit slower than they were back in the day. But then again, let me be the first to admin that I cannot even begin to hold so much as a candle to him when it comes to any aspect of finger picking, and even on the electric slide, where, at least in my own private world, I like to think that I possess some modicum of talent, he has definitely been there, done that, and forgotten more about it than I will ever know.All the best mate,Han. He did not play electric when I knew but yes you are right he was a pretty nimble finger picker. Sadly, I had 3 stokes in the early 90's resulting in the fact that I lost motor control in my left hand so although I can still pick OK with my right hand my left hand cannot form the chord shapes so it was with great sadness I sold my guitars. I occasionally see my HD28, Mark Pugh still plays it and still to the best of my knowledge fronts a Bluegrass band in the area. I have however lost touch with my old OO21 which was my old timey guitar. Dave might remember me as Ken Cooke and I may be out by a year or two but it was in and around the date I gave you- Cheers
"The Future is not what it used to be"Regards- Kenneth

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

kenneth wrote: Regarding blues. I used to play with a guy occasionally called Dave Speight in and around Leeds. He was a great finger picking style accoustic country blues guitarist. I seem to remember playing at The Packhorse on Woodhouse Lane where I think they held a blues club. I once saw Sonny Terry and Brownie Magee in concert at the University Union in the late 60's Here you go Ken http://www.myspace.com/davespeightYou can get in touch with him through myspace messaging.    
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Hannibal69

Post by Hannibal69 »

Hi Ken,Yep, Dave is still very much the acoustic bluesman he always was. He once summed up his thoughts on electric as follows "but its just not the same is it?" Heres a recent pic of the old fella for you
Attachments
__TFMF_zvkfhf3japlefy2wps01z5mt_4931b807-bce0-4640-a55b-05191d80e199_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_zvkfhf3japlefy2wps01z5mt_4931b807-bce0-4640-a55b-05191d80e199_0_main.jpg (56.34 KiB) Viewed 8629 times
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day. But give him a religion and he'll starve to death, while praying for a fish.

Hannibal69

Post by Hannibal69 »

And just for you Ken, here's one from the days before they invented colour!!! LOL. All the best,Han.
Attachments
__TFMF_zvkfhf3japlefy2wps01z5mt_2fe491c3-d98f-4f1d-9232-9cf7393311f0_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_zvkfhf3japlefy2wps01z5mt_2fe491c3-d98f-4f1d-9232-9cf7393311f0_0_main.jpg (15.23 KiB) Viewed 8629 times
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day. But give him a religion and he'll starve to death, while praying for a fish.

kenneth

Post by kenneth »

Hey thanks for the links and yes I recognise him in the B&W shot

kenneth

Post by kenneth »

Chrism wrote: kenneth wrote: Regarding blues. I used to play with a guy occasionally called Dave Speight in and around Leeds. He was a great finger picking style accoustic country blues guitarist. I seem to remember playing at The Packhorse on Woodhouse Lane where I think they held a blues club. I once saw Sonny Terry and Brownie Magee in concert at the University Union in the late 60's Here you go Ken http://www.myspace.com/davespeightYou can get in touch with him through myspace messaging.     Thank you but I will not steal the other guys thunder. Interesting to read on Dave's site that he had recently played the Owl at Rodley. I used to run a Bluegrass and Old Timey Club in a pub in that area called The Stanhope, and the Railway was another venue close by for impromptu Bluegrass picking sessions. The late Chris Metcalfe was active in that, him and I having played together in the 70's

kenneth

Post by kenneth »

The other Folk Club in the 60's which I used to attend was at The Peel Hotel on Boar Lane near C&A. It latterly became a jazz haunt.Regarding Blues and The Topic Club in Bradford the name Roger Sutcliffe comes to mind. The old cogs turn slower as you get older. Another guy I played with occasionally was Roger Knowles. He was one of the founders of The Crimple Mountain Boys along with the Dransfield brothers. He then went on to share a long duo partnership with Nick Strutt, another great friend who sadly fell fowl of the demon drink, not unlike me but I got sober. I do sincerely hope Nick gets sobriety. Roger is now playing regularly with the guy who introduced me to the guitar many years ago his name in Martyn Tindall

Samson

Post by Samson »

HiI used to go to the Memphis Folk club in the Irish Centre off York Road. In fact I still have my membership card somewhere in the house LOLI remember watching Harvey Andrews there ,a great singer from Hull who I think just failed to make the 'big time' with songs like 'Hey Sandy'. I think he still does the circuits today. A nice bloke too.I also remember driving out to Barwick in Elmet to a short lived folk club upstairs at the Black Swan (Mucky Duck) The last time I went there I saw a singer called Jon Rennard, I think it was 1971. He produced a couple of albums I believe, but shortly after I saw him he was tragically killed in a car accident. The Black Swan was I think closed down as a venue even in those days through lack of fire exits?If I could only remember!! So some of you folkies out there can tell me if my damaged memories are correct! ( I could Google it but I was determined not to cheat!)
Born in East leeds, then lived in Halton and aged 20 moved to Tyneside

kenneth

Post by kenneth »

Samson wrote: HiI used to go to the Memphis Folk club in the Irish Centre off York Road. In fact I still have my membership card somewhere in the house LOLI remember watching Harvey Andrews there ,a great singer from Hull who I think just failed to make the 'big time' with songs like 'Hey Sandy'. I think he still does the circuits today. A nice bloke too.I also remember driving out to Barwick in Elmet to a short lived folk club upstairs at the Black Swan (Mucky Duck) The last time I went there I saw a singer called Jon Rennard, I think it was 1971. He produced a couple of albums I believe, but shortly after I saw him he was tragically killed in a car accident. The Black Swan was I think closed down as a venue even in those days through lack of fire exits?If I could only remember!! So some of you folkies out there can tell me if my damaged memories are correct! ( I could Google it but I was determined not to cheat!) I went to Jon Rennards funeral. He was a terrific singer and was sadly missed. You might also remember Stefan Zobel he was in a similar vein and a superb finger style guitarist. He is now an instrument builder based in the North East and has a website under his name. Great to remember these great performers and yes I remember the Barwick club but I cannot remember playing there

tykette

Post by tykette »

Harvey Andrews is still very much on the go - can be seen at Otley Folk Festival next month, along with a lot of very talented local performers - http://www.otleyfolkfestival.com/There's still a very active folk scene in and around Leeds, many young musicians up-and-coming as well.