Yorkshire Evening Post

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
drapesy

Post by drapesy »

dogduke wrote: They should be prosecuted under the trades descriptions act.How on earth can an EVENING paper be arriving at my local shop between 10 and 1030 AM!The letters pages monopolised as you say by a small number of people.The reporting is atrocious,streets are described as been in the wrong district,the grammar is often appaling.My favourite/worstexample is of a road accident where the car SPAN off the road.Reporters should read through their copy before saving for publication.Jobs must have been lost locally as it is printed somewhere in South Yorkshire.If it is printed and distributed to arrive at the time it does,what time do they PUT IT TO BED-about 5am? You say your favourite is 'span' instead of 'spun'?Do you know what mine is? People who don't understand the difference between the past participle 'been' and the present participle 'being'.It's appaling, or possibly even appalling.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

drapesy wrote: dogduke wrote: They should be prosecuted under the trades descriptions act.How on earth can an EVENING paper be arriving at my local shop between 10 and 1030 AM!The letters pages monopolised as you say by a small number of people.The reporting is atrocious,streets are described as been in the wrong district,the grammar is often appaling.My favourite/worstexample is of a road accident where the car SPAN off the road.Reporters should read through their copy before saving for publication.Jobs must have been lost locally as it is printed somewhere in South Yorkshire.If it is printed and distributed to arrive at the time it does,what time do they PUT IT TO BED-about 5am? You say your favourite is 'span' instead of 'spun'?Do you know what mine is? People who don't understand the difference between the past participle 'been' and the present participle 'being'.It's appaling, or possibly even appalling. certainly not a peeling
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

drapesy wrote: dogduke wrote: They should be prosecuted under the trades descriptions act.How on earth can an EVENING paper be arriving at my local shop between 10 and 1030 AM!The letters pages monopolised as you say by a small number of people.The reporting is atrocious,streets are described as been in the wrong district,the grammar is often appaling.My favourite/worstexample is of a road accident where the car SPAN off the road.Reporters should read through their copy before saving for publication.Jobs must have been lost locally as it is printed somewhere in South Yorkshire.If it is printed and distributed to arrive at the time it does,what time do they PUT IT TO BED-about 5am? You say your favourite is 'span' instead of 'spun'?Do you know what mine is? People who don't understand the difference between the past participle 'been' and the present participle 'being'.It's appaling, or possibly even appalling. The belief by many that the use of advanced means in advance. When Private Hire vehicles first introduced those stickers saying advance booking only, there was a picture of a Councilor standing in front of one with a driver, in the YEP (which also of course spoke of advanced bookings). I couldn't resist asking if ordinary bookings had to be in advance too - never got a reply but, the signs were quickly changed

Misc

Post by Misc »

I had heard that there'd been some harsh cuts, but I still don't think there's any excuse for printing the same letters two days running or having a weekly outpouring of reverse sexism and smugness from someone who claims to represent the women of Yorkshire - is Daddy one of the owners?I know all about cuts, I work for the NHS, but people don't excuse us if we give people the wrong drugs... There is still some good stuff. I enjoy the nostalgia pages on a Saturday. Overall, it's just too [edited for content] to carry on with though, so as of Monday my sub is over.Unless Secret Leeds does take over the letters page, that would be worth carrying on for!

Si

Post by Si »

As I am currently out of work, I turned to the YEP "Jobs" section yesterday.There were precisely two vacancies advertised: a "project management administrator" and an "admin/filing clerk."Didn't there used to be pages of jobs?

Briggy

Post by Briggy »

Haven't had a YEP for ages but wasn't the main jobs day Thursday? Mind you, that was when there were any jobs to be had.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Briggy wrote: Haven't had a YEP for ages but wasn't the main jobs day Thursday? Mind you, that was when there were any jobs to be had. I think it was mainly skilled labour and manual jobs on Wednesday and then admin and service industry on Thursday along with the few Professional jobs that were not in big sister the YP
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Bert

Post by Bert »

I think Newsman probably hits the nail on the head when he says that the newspaper industry is currently being run by money men with no knowledge of or real interest in journalism. The trouble is it's not true only of the newspaper business though. Look at companies of any size in any non-financial services sector operating in the UK and its odds-on you'll find that if they are not foreign owned they are being run by men with a passion only for squeezing the fastest possible return from the smallest possible investment with the minimum degree of risk and with no long-term commitment. That's why so much of what is best in the British economy is now beneficially owned overseas.

Crazy Jane

Post by Crazy Jane »

Funnily enough, i was thinking it had hit a new low a day or so back, when they printed this rubbish:http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... pRecieving messages from beyond the grave is now factual, not one allegedly, and really, the whole article is an advert for an event! Either someone's a good friend of the medium, or they took a bung to sneak that in
Evil and ambition scatter in the the darkness, leaving behind dubious rumors to fly in public. To the next world, I commit thee.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Crazy Jane wrote: Funnily enough, i was thinking it had hit a new low a day or so back, when they printed this rubbish:http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... pRecieving messages from beyond the grave is now factual, not one allegedly, and really, the whole article is an advert for an event! Either someone's a good friend of the medium, or they took a bung to sneak that in Hmmm. It is actually an offence of misleading advertising to 'report' an event or product in the guise of a news item without making it unavoidably clear that it is an advert.