The Lemi

The green spaces and places of Leeds
Biscuit Tin

Post by Biscuit Tin »

New to this! Does anyone remember the Lemi? You could get to it from Domestic Street, Ingram Road and Geldard Road if you went through the back to back terrace's. There was a railway embankment and a couple of tunnels that went underneath, I believe 1 was called 'Dino'?

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

What was the other tunnel called ? Gerry Lewis??Sorri BT, What IS a Lemi then?Don't tell me it's a little furry animal prone to leaping off cliffs!Ovver to thee!Arry

simonm

Post by simonm »

arry awk wrote: What was the other tunnel called ? Gerry Lewis??Sorri BT, What IS a Lemi then?Don't tell me it's a little furry animal prone to leaping off cliffs!Ovver to thee!Arry Your as puddled as your son!!!! ;-) :-)
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Hi Si!You've noticed-after all this time!Keep on threading!arry

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

Welcome Biscuit tin - please ignore the previous thread hijack posts, but I too would love to know what your post refers to?Please elucidate?
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.

Biscuit Tin

Post by Biscuit Tin »

The 'Lemi' was a piece of land, where has children we played and had wondrous adventures. Each year, around Sept if my memory serves me well, the Feast came, Gypsies frequented it and would tether their horses there.If you stood with your back to the Gainsborough, where I spent most Saturday afternoons watching the matinee, you could see the Lemi.I believe there is some history behind it, grew up believing it was bequeathed to the area by a rich old lady who loved children?????

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

I have heard of a 'Leamington Cricket Club' who I believe had their cricket ground around here in Victorian times - perhaps thats where the name comes from ??I'll see if I can find out more.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

more research in some books I have reveals that Leamington C.C. were one of 8 founder members of the Leeds Cricket League in 1892 - their membership ended after 1903 - for reasons I have not yet discovered. - remarkably they were league champions 4 times!Their ground was definitely in this vicinity - I'm sure that's where the name comes from and the recreation ground you remember was their old ground - no trace of it now though.I know that someone wrote a history of the Leeds league about 20 years ago - I'll track down a copy and post any more info.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

If you've got keen eyesight you can make out "Leamington Cricket Ground" on this map of 1894 (you've got to pay for a better copy and I'm too tight! I'll check out central library.http://www.old-maps.co.uk/IndexMapPage2.aspxEnter 'holbeck' on the search page - then select the 'Yorkshire' oneA map dated to 1909 shows it just as "cricket ground" - perhaps an anachronism , or perhaps it continued to stage more minor matches after Leamington C.C. wound up.By 1938 the map says "Mill Green Recreation Ground" - its official name.

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

Hi Biscuit Tinaccording to my mother, the "lemmy" did indeed exist I think these two links may be of use.http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... ULLregards tabbycat