Corn Exchange

Your favourite days out round Leeds
simonm

Post by simonm »

Aye up Arry, got yer mail. That riggy sounds mighty interesting.. hubba hubba!! As to Bill, stick him in't shed! A few riggy's and he'll not care!! As the Greek shop. Some of their fare is cracking. The garlic in chilli is great too. The wife hates me going there as I spend far too much...    
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

OK Si Been out all day (Ilkla!). Just got back.Not opened emails yet.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Much in this thread has talked about the strange ideas of the Corn Exchange owner's ideas to change the building into a Food Emporium with existing tenants being thrown out at short notice just as their busiest period was looming.At the time many people were highly critical and pondered on the fate of the place, well Threadneedle, managers of the site and the owners have got there come-upence and with only the lower areas let, are now saying they will take tenants selling any high quality merchandise.Didn't see that coming did we?Some former tenants have been approached, a few considering returning, though as many turning their backs, having moved elsewhere and thriving, presumably not wanting to risk being put in such a position in the future, and perhaps rightly so.It cost several million to refurbish the place and with little rent coming in since then looks like a lot of eggy-faces around and doubtless some humiliation from this about turn after their original emphatic stance. Of course the 'credit crunch' is being blamed but there was no sign of the ir expected rush to join before that really took hold - Secret Leeds users were somewhat ahead of this with their views and we could almost say 'told you so' they should listen to the buying public.Threadneedle, according to the Weekly News .....declined to comment. I wonder why

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

I hate to say it chameleon but we did try and tell em lol
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

This annoyed me, not him personally, he's a london based gent who's been sold a line:http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... ange-leeds

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Have got to agree with you to a degree chaps.Anthonys appears to be doing alright business wise,and having had a look down stairs at what hes got set up even i (the fat slob drunkenly dribbling Chicken and Meat Laziz in the Sheesh Mahal) would consider eating there.However,why on earth a set up with Anthonys in the basement along with the already incumbent shops on the ground floor was a no goer is beyond me.surely they would have complemented each other in their extremes,the clientele of the quirky shops eating downstairs during the day,and the day time patrons of Anthonys repaying the complement.Clever t*at foody shops only have a limited appeal in Leeds,no matter what the Rod McPhees think.There is a limited place for it,but thats it,its limited.This London chap may well have been sold a pup,but i think we should give support to the guy who has invested a lot in the basement set up,a brave chap indeed.Lets save our spleens for the money grabbing tossers who thought that chucking out the incumbent proprieters of the thriving little businesses in the hope of attracting the Harry Enfieldesque "I saw you coming"brigade and the higher rents associated with such pretentious outlets would some how,in the end,make them more money.Well it would if Leeds was full of pretentious foodys,but it isnt,and thats why its empty.Greed is good eh?    
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

oldleedsman

Post by oldleedsman »

I agree with cnosni. Why criticise Anthony Flinn or Jay Rayner? One is a pretty good chef and the other is just a food writer who went to University here.If the economy hadn't nose-dived, then I imagine things could've been rather different. You only have to look at the prices at some of the posher restaurants in town to realise that not everyone eats fish and chips from paper and gets their veg from the market. Now that money is non-existent for those wanting to set up new ventures, and pretty scarce for others (like us) to spend, then this whole sorry set-up looks like it'll fail unless some changes are made. It won't be the only new shopping development to fail (eg Eastgate). It's a great building that should be enjoyed (rather than being closed for donkey's years when I was young). I just hope they can make a go of it.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

oldleedsman wrote: I agree with cnosni. Why criticise Anthony Flinn or Jay Rayner? One is a pretty good chef and the other is just a food writer who went to University here.If the economy hadn't nose-dived, then I imagine things could've been rather different. You only have to look at the prices at some of the posher restaurants in town to realise that not everyone eats fish and chips from paper and gets their veg from the market. Now that money is non-existent for those wanting to set up new ventures, and pretty scarce for others (like us) to spend, then this whole sorry set-up looks like it'll fail unless some changes are made. It won't be the only new shopping development to fail (eg Eastgate). It's a great building that should be enjoyed (rather than being closed for donkey's years when I was young). I just hope they can make a go of it. Inded, I remember the Corn Exchange from the 60's when it was home to a few people needing cheap small offices formed on the balcony.I've always felt the management there to be a little above themselves frankly - more that the populous existed solely to be directed for their benefit rather than to serve those who brought in the revenue.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

There was a review of the restaurant and a picture in last Sunday's Observer Magazinehttp://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/fe ... ange-leeds
Industria Omnia Vincit

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Went in at lunch time to show our lass and the piglet.Restaurant was quite busy,but upstairs was dead.A young couple came in while we were there,stood,looked around,went out.Nuff said
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]