Woodhouse Feast / Armley Feast etc.

The green spaces and places of Leeds
sundowner

Post by sundowner »

Hi its me again i hope my last message has not killed this thread so i will talk about Hunslet feast i too remember it at park side right out side the rugby ground what a treate. Looking back i dont know how my mam got the money to take us there but that is with hindsight i remember once there was a sort of tunnel covered in sacking people were paying to go in when they came out at the other end    they were in hysterics so of course every one wanted to go in after a long wait it was my turn so in i went walked through nothing in there i to was in hysterics what a laugh.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

SUNDOWNER WROTE :-" remember once there was a sort of tunnel covered in sacking people were paying to go in when they came out at the other end they were in hysterics so of course every one wanted to go in after a long wait it was my turn so in i went walked through nothing in there i to was in hysterics what a laugh."......................................................................................................You might have been in hysterics Sundowner, but that would be nowt compared to the proprietor who must have been "laughing all the way to the bank" as they say !!I wish I'd thought of such a money maker instead of working all my life - eh ??
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

BLAKEY wrote: SUNDOWNER WROTE :-" remember once there was a sort of tunnel covered in sacking people were paying to go in when they came out at the other end they were in hysterics so of course every one wanted to go in after a long wait it was my turn so in i went walked through nothing in there i to was in hysterics what a laugh."......................................................................................................You might have been in hysterics Sundowner, but that would be nowt compared to the proprietor who must have been "laughing all the way to the bank" as they say !!I wish I'd thought of such a money maker instead of working all my life - eh ?? Reminds me of the story of Billy Butlin who started out with a zoo at Skegness. He had no problem attracting punters in, he just couldn't seem to get rid of them to get more punters in - so he hit on the idea of putting up a sign "To the egress" the punters thinking it was an unusual animal followed the sign and found themselves outside the zoo.
Industria Omnia Vincit

sundowner

Post by sundowner »

BLAKEY wrote: SUNDOWNER WROTE :-" remember once there was a sort of tunnel covered in sacking people were paying to go in when they came out at the other end they were in hysterics so of course every one wanted to go in after a long wait it was my turn so in i went walked through nothing in there i to was in hysterics what a laugh."......................................................................................................You might have been in hysterics Sundowner, but that would be nowt compared to the proprietor who must have been "laughing all the way to the bank" as they say !!I wish I'd thought of such a money maker instead of working all my life - eh ?? Hi BLAKEY good times they were nobody seemed to mind at the time i think they thought the price was worth the laugh.I must say i did had some good times at Park Side when i had the money to get in when i last looked at the place i did not know it industrial estate we used to fish in a little pond near there for newts and sticklebacks

sundowner

Post by sundowner »

Someone said Hunslet Feast used to be on Hunslet Moor i seem to remember going there i think this would have been the late fortys.        It was on the land out side the Blooming Rose Pub this part of the moor is still there Iwonder when i t changed to Park Side?    

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

sundowner wrote: Someone said Hunslet Feast used to be on Hunslet Moor i seem to remember going there i think this would have been the late fortys.        It was on the land out side the Blooming Rose Pub this part of the moor is still there Iwonder when i t changed to Park Side?     The first time I went to Hunslet Feast was in 1962 and it was definitely on the Parkside carpark. Shamrock and Columbia were among the attractions.
Industria Omnia Vincit

sundowner

Post by sundowner »

Trojan wrote: sundowner wrote: Someone said Hunslet Feast used to be on Hunslet Moor i seem to remember going there i think this would have been the late fortys.        It was on the land out side the Blooming Rose Pub this part of the moor is still there Iwonder when i t changed to Park Side?     The first time I went to Hunslet Feast was in 1962 and it was definitely on the Parkside carpark. Shamrock and Columbia were among the attractions. Hi Trojon it was in the fiftys when i went to the Hunslet Feast at Parkside left Hunslet in fiftynine rehoused at Saxton Gardens was it for the better i would like to think so but nostalgia can play tricks with the mind.    

BIG N

Post by BIG N »

weenie wrote: we used to go to bramley feast opp gamecock inn on pudsey road /butt lane before macdonalds got built there. anybody remember that one. Remember it !!! Only like yesterday Weenie, we used to hate pulling on there - not because of the area but because, no matter what time of year it was, the ground was always wet and soft and you could gareuntee we would get bogged down, think it was something to do with the artificial lake across the road causing the water table to rise in the ground.That piece of land was bought in the early sixtys by Marshal Waddington, a Bradford based traveller, as he wanted his own piece of land to stage fairs on, by the time I was working in the industery it was for his son, Marshal Jnr and we would use that ground when we had a week off (a week when we had nowhere to go) so sometimes we would be there twice a year, others we might attend three or four times a year.If I were to say Marshal Snr was more than a little happy with the price he got when he finally sold the land for re-development then that would be a vast under statement, after all it had earned its value many, many times over for him in the years he had worked it and the selling price was many times greater than he paid.I remember the contractors spent month after month tipping hard core onto the site and packing it down to get it fit for building on.I have many happy memories of weeks spent on the Butt Lane ground, and indeed, in the Gamecock in the evenings - ironic then that as I type this I am sat at my bedroom window looking at the Gamecock and McDonalds across the road - ahh well, thats progress for you.

sundowner

Post by sundowner »

Hi big un i remember the boxing booth at Huslet Feast the challenge was to do three rounds with the resident boxer. He would take on any one never saw any of the fights i was too young at the time i would have liked to .Bet they would not allow that to take place now

BigHonk

Post by BigHonk »

Footy wrote: Armley Feast memories.The Wurlitzer a 2/3/4 seater couch that spun around at just the right G-Force so all the loose change came out of your pockets and dropped down the back. When it stopped the 'Feasties' wouldn't let you fish it out, that was one of their perks!The Speedway..'It's a long ride it's a fast ride, the louder you scream the faster I go' With 'Yellow River' blaring out full blast.And well before Damian Hirst came up with the idea. For 6d you could place a piece of wood, about 4x4 inches, on to a turn table start it spinning and drop coloured paint onto it making interesting patterns. That's probably where Damian got his idea (having lived in Kirkstall)