Leeds on screen

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
stevief

Post by stevief »

Ro-Man wrote: There's also the sitcom Barbara from a few years ago, some outside scenes of which were filmed in Meanwood. It starred Gwen Taylor and Sam Kelly, but sadly wasn't up to the standard of their previous legendary work in Duty Free and Allo Allo. Certain pub scenes for Frost were filmed in the Adelphi where they used to have a photo behind the bar of David Jason(jampot?)and the then landlord.Apparantly they would begin filming at 6.00am,black out the windows,fill the place with extras,fire up the smoke machine and"Action!"They also used the Cardigan Arms.

FarnleyBloke

Post by FarnleyBloke »

Hi first post here, just a few things to add small stories etc...The flat above the chip shop on Butcher Hill where Fat friends was filmed actually belongs to the co-op underneath. My mates sister was the manageress and lived in the flat right up until filming began. My mate was a decorator and had just finished the flat so the TV crew left it as it was for filming, he was so proud!!I don't know how true this is but some years ago a friend told me about an episode of Frost that was filmed in middleton woods. In the episode a car was abandoned and then set on fire, however in reality this was filmed over 2 nights. After the first nights filming was done the crew left the car where it was. When they got back the next day the local "wags" had removed everything of value so in the episode shown on TV the car is seen abandoned with alloy wheels and spoiler but set on fire without these!!In one episode of the Beiderbecke affair/tapes (i can't remember which) they filmed in the flats on Fillingfir drive in moor grange, and the old woman who lived there got £30 a day even though they only showed her door opening and someone going in. In the Yorkshire Ripper thing of a few years ago they did a scene where the police go round in a car broadcasting the hoaxers voice on loudspeaker, although this was supposed to be in sunderland this too was filmed on fillingfir drive.There was also that fire brigade thing set in middlesbrough but filmed at the old fire station on stanningley road.Last that i can think of to hand was Leigh francis (who went to my school) doing his Craaaaiiiggg Daaaviiid on Briggate and the headrow on Bo! Selecta.Anyway, great site keep up the good work!

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

FarnleyBloke wrote: There was also that fire brigade thing set in middlesbrough but filmed at the old fire station on stanningley road. That was Steel River Blues, I think and you're quite right. I'd forgotten about that although I quite enjoyed it when it was on. That was another Yorkshire TV production so featured lots of Leeds locations.For anyone interested in The Beiderbecke Trilogy, ITV3 were showing The Beiderbecke Connection this morning (Sunday) at about 7.00am. Looks like it's a regular slot for it too so you can either get up early or set your video for next week!Funny isn't it that ITV3 will fill their daytime schedules with imported American rubbish like Quantum Leap and The Cosby Mysteries, but only show homegrown drama at early o'clock on a Sunday!IMDB gives a list of the filming locations for The Beiderbecke Affair at http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0086668/locations
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Martyn

Post by Martyn »

In the recent episode of Diamond Geezer, David Jason was sneaking round the supposed Russian Embassy trying to nick a painting. It was actually inside Leeds Civic Hall. I recognised those automatic doors that sometimes work straight away.
http://www.siddles.me.ukYou can take a horse to water but a pencil must be lead.Stan Laurel.

Ian R P

Post by Ian R P »

Back in 2000 I had to hold up some traffic on Weetwood Lane whilst they filmed a scene from At Home with the Braithwaites. It took 3 hours and was only on screen 10 seconds, and I never got a free cup of tea from the catering table. My dad was in Queenies Castle as an extra, he was playing rugby for Bisons and they had to sit in the background whilst Diana Dors was being filmed saying 'rhubarb' to make it look like they were talking.The Farnells story is true for Touch of Frost, also they use Otley town court as the police station in Heartbeat.A good story is, the council had turned up on mass to resurface a street at Armley (where the public toilets are) but they were filming Frost at some nearby flats, so the council, yellow vans and all had to hide around the corner until the filming was finished.Once I was delivering leaflets in Farsley and I wondered into what looked like an old mill. As I tried to find the reception I stumbled on a sign for the Aidensfield Arms, a couple of seconds later I was confronted by Gena from Heartbeat asking me if I was lost (in full 60's dress and the lot). That's enough stories for now.

fluffysheep

Post by fluffysheep »

The Fish and Chips shop featured in Fat Friends is called Midgleys. They also did a lot of filming in Woodies pub on the Otley Road in Headingley. I know someone that worked behind the bar at the time and they got to sit in the background as an extra when they were filming. There's a Frost episode that was filmed in Bodington Halls. The outside scenes were filmed somewhere else, but all the inside shots were inside the actual student rooms.There was a film recentley called Mischief Night. It was filmed all around Leeds, in Beeston in the Cardinals, and around Cross Flatts Park, and also in the terraces of Hyde Park.The Chase, which is on at the moment is filmed around Leeds too.

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

Reet - As we have another thread on them, I'll just briefly mention the Rosebanks steps being used as the opening scene from the original "Corrie" series.But who remembers the opening shots from Charlie Drake's comedy series, which I think was called "Working Man"? Charlie walking up a side road above Burley Road, with the Kirkstall power station towers in the background and Gotts Park in the distance?Theme song was summat like:"I gets up in the morning bout a quarter to eight - I'm always punctual, never ever late.Nice cuppa tea and a round of toastI do the best I can.Cos I'm only doing what a bloke should do and I'm only a working man"....Anyone else remember that show?
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.

rangieowner

Post by rangieowner »

Fat Friends used a house on Tinshill Cresent in series one which used to belong to my brother, they started filming a few months after he sold! what a bummer!! Midgleys chippy is an exellent food trough! one of the best chippys in Leeds!!!!
Love a Landrover

rangieowner

Post by rangieowner »

David Jason also directed The Quest which was filmed partly in Leeds, They used some of the factories on Hunslet Road and used the car park of Pole Position kart track as a base of operations. I was security at Car Shock at the time and was given a huge box of sarnies a the end of filming!! Yum Yum!!!
Love a Landrover

rangieowner

Post by rangieowner »

David Jason also directed The Quest which was filmed partly in Leeds, They used some of the factories on Hunslet Road and used the car park of Pole Position kart track as a base of operations. I was security at Car Shock at the time and was given a huge box of sarnies a the end of filming!! Yum Yum!!!
Love a Landrover