Bowers Yard off Lower Briggate.

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Leodian

Re: Bowers Yard off Lower Briggate.

Post by Leodian »

These are the 3 photos that I took at roof level in Bowers Yard on December 11 2018. I hope that these and the 3 in my post immediately above taken on the same day are of interest showing this somewhat hidden narrow yard.
LookingToLowerBriggateLeedsFromInBowersYardDec112018..jpg
LookingToLowerBriggateLeedsFromInBowersYardDec112018..jpg (144.78 KiB) Viewed 4233 times
RoofAreaBowersYardLookingToLowerBriggateLeedsDec112018..jpg
RoofAreaBowersYardLookingToLowerBriggateLeedsDec112018..jpg (147.91 KiB) Viewed 4233 times
RoofAreaBowersYardLowerBriggateLeedsDec112018..jpg
RoofAreaBowersYardLowerBriggateLeedsDec112018..jpg (127.82 KiB) Viewed 4233 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi leodian thanks for you continued input i am sure many members appreciate all the effort you put in to posting on S/L.I know sometimes there is a lack of feedback but i for one look forward to your posts.Ps All the best to you and your family at Christmas and have a happy and healthy new year.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Absolutely second that Tilly. Leodian I mainly only comment when I feel I have something useful to add so don't always comment on your pictorial content but it doesn't mean it isn't appreciated. Please keep it up as long as you want to.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

jma

Post by jma »

Yes: keep it up. Do you have any intention of publishing what must be quite an archive? I don't necessarily mean commercially but a lot of older images on this forum seem corrupted. Leodis is good. You probably don't need reminding to keep notes. Leodis seems to have plenty of "Can you help?" entries for the prolific Eric Jacquier's(?) pictures of older terraces, and there's the considerable task of downloading all the David Atkinson Archive.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks tilly, tyke bhoy and jma for your kind words :).

There are things in the centre of Leeds that I would like to photograph but it is very hard to get even a reasonable one due to closed gates, security fencing boards, street furniture, wheelie bins etc in the way.

Ossey911

Post by Ossey911 »

I very rarely post but I read these quite often and find them extremely useful. Thanks to everyone who posts.
Ossey
https://buatista2003.wixsite.com/leedspubs

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

The various yards and courts of Lower Briggate in the 1890s

:arrow:
Attachments
1891 Lower Briggate.JPG
1891 Lower Briggate.JPG (562.19 KiB) Viewed 4073 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Mark1978 posted that the Whip after been been "Done Our" and found a secret room that had hosted Nazi sympathizers at some time. Well as a regular customer in the 1960s: as were a large number of lads my age that it could not have been worse if the Luftwaffe had dropped something on it. It was a depressing dump whichever way one approached it, either from Duncan St. or Lower Briggate and the interior was possibly the worst in Leeds. BUT the Draught Beer was also possibly the finest in the City Center. It was the only Pub where the waiter (Steve) constantly brought a tray full of mild beer. especially if it was a wet day and the Building trade were "Rained Off". The Tap Room was always jam packed. It was said that the Whip sold the most Draught beer weekly that any other but never did get round to ask any of the Dray men although i knew quite a lot of them very well. The fact that it was a men only o suppose did it no harm although i would not think a female would have wanted to go in there.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks all for your interest in the thread :).

'The various yards and courts of Lower Briggate in the 1890s' map provided by buffaloskinner is fascinating in that many of them still survive after their surrounding buildings were modernised in recent years into commercial areas. If any of Lambert's Yard is still there it is though not readily accessible after it was converted some while back. The 'Old Parrot Hotel' name amuses me ;).