1897 date on building by the Grand Arcade.

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Leodian

1897 date on building by the Grand Arcade.

Post by Leodian »

There is an ornate 1897 date high up on the building between the Grand Arcade and what used to its twin arcade. Having first noticed the date some years back I've always assumed it was connected with the building of the Grand Theatre. However, with recent news that it is 140 years since the Grand Theatre opened in 1878 then the 1897 date is not related to that. I have now found that it is the date of the building of the Grand Arcade and what was its twin. In an entry in the online Wikipedia website it states "The Grand Arcade is a shopping arcade in Leeds, West Yorkshire, England. It was built by New Briggate Arcade Company Ltd in 1897, with Smith & Tweedal as architects. The arcade originally consisted of two parallel rows of shops". I have attached 2 photos that I took on November 15 2018. The first is a close-up of the 1897 date and the second shows the building location on New Briggate.
1897DateTopOfBuildingBetweenGrandArcadeAndWhatWasItsTwinArcadeLeedsNov152018..jpg
1897DateTopOfBuildingBetweenGrandArcadeAndWhatWasItsTwinArcadeLeedsNov152018..jpg (82.32 KiB) Viewed 4335 times
1897DateBuildingBetweenGrandArcadeAndWhatWas ItsTwinArcadeLeedsNov152018..jpg
1897DateBuildingBetweenGrandArcadeAndWhatWas ItsTwinArcadeLeedsNov152018..jpg (115.89 KiB) Viewed 4335 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

iansmithofotley

Re: 1897 date on building by the Grand Arcade.

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi Leodian,

There are several comments about these buildings and arcades on the various photographs of 'New Briggate' and 'Grand Arcade' on the Leodis site.

Ian

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

iansmithofotley wrote:Hi Leodian,

There are several comments about these buildings and arcades on the various photographs of 'New Briggate' and 'Grand Arcade' on the Leodis site.

Ian
Hi Ian :) (I hope you do not mind me shortening your user name).

Thanks for your help. I've now done a 'Grand Arcade' search of Leodis and have gone through the 36 entries and images that were brought up. A few do mention the 1897 construction date but none seemed to have a close-up of the date. I did a 'New Briggate' search but as there were 328 entries and images I did baulk at that and have not looked through them!

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi Leodian,

On the Leodis site, I used the 'Advanced Search' facility. I used the 'Keywords/Terms' boxes. I put 'Grand Arcade' in one box and 'New Briggate' in the next box below. I got 19 results.

Ian

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

Hi Leodian, I cannot believe how we missed each other, I was only 100 yards and 50 years away from you :lol:
Attachments
Vicar lane.JPG
Vicar lane.JPG (489.08 KiB) Viewed 4273 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Hi warringtonrhino :)

Your post made me smile. The Vicar Lane frontage is more or less the same now but not as clean looking! It would be great to have a wormhole and travel back in time to around then but preferably a few years earlier so that I could take photographs that I never did of Leeds before such major work as the Inner Ring Road and Sheepscar junction.