One Hundred Years Ago Today

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
dogduke

One Hundred Years Ago Today

Post by dogduke »

In Beckett Street cemetery there is a War Grave for Emily Lambert who died age 24y

She was a member of the Women's Royal Air Force.

A Poppy wreath and some messages have been left on the grave by someone who remembers her on her one hundredth anniversary

R I P
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

Leodian

Re: One Hundred Years Ago Today

Post by Leodian »

That is a very nice and touching act of remembrance.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

tilly

Post by tilly »

R.I.P.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

My old Regiment 17/21 Lancers (Death or Glory)

:arrow:
Attachments
Remembrance Day.jpg
Remembrance Day.jpg (1011.46 KiB) Viewed 9736 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

To help commererate the Armistice Sunday 11th, The First City Bus Co. which operates around the Bristol / Bath and surrounding areas it to offer Free Travel to anyone wearing a Poppy. This will apply all day Sunday to allow folks to attend Memorial Services etc. and then return home under no pressure.

tilly

Post by tilly »

What a good idea it would be nice if they did this around the Leeds area but i will not hold my breath.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

FREE TRAVEL FOR ARMED FORCES IN WEST YORKSHIRE ON REMEMBRANCE DAY NOV 11

Social media posts have been appearing online claiming that First Bus will be offering free travel to anyone wearing a poppy on armistice day, however the firm has said that this won't be the case in West Yorkshire. The bus company WILL be offering free bus travel to all members of the armed forces, veterans and cadets on Sunday November 11.

Members of the armed forces who are in uniform, or able to show an identification card, can claim free travel on any First West Yorkshire service for free, enabling them to easily travel to local Remembrance Day events. The offer is also open to members of the cadet forces in uniform and veterans who display valid identification, such as the MOD issued Veteran's Badge. The bus operator said that supporting Remembrance Sunday is of huge importance to the local bus operator as a significant number of its staff, including drivers, are ex-members of the armed forces.

Will Pearson, head of operations at First West Yorkshire, said: “Remembrance Day is an incredibly important occasion for many people to show their support, or remember family members, friends and others who have been lost in military service. We support the Royal British Legion every year, as a significant number of our team come from a military background. “There will be many events and services taking place locally where people, communities and organisations around the area can visit to show their respect. As a supporter of our communities, we want to make it as easy as possible for people to attend local events on this important day.” The free travel offer has been running for a number of years and the Royal British Legion has thanked First Bus for their ongoing support.

Debra Westlake, community fundraiser for the Royal British Legion, said: “The support of First Bus for the Poppy Appeal 2018 is much-appreciated, as always, and we are particularly grateful that free bus travel will be available to members of the armed forces across our region on Remembrance Sunday. “Donations to the Poppy Appeal will help the Legion support today’s Armed Forces community through hardships, injury and bereavements. The Legion’s work is entirely dependent on the public’s generous support – so please join First Bus and wear your poppy with pride.”
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

In Today's Daily Mail there is two page spread about the Duchess of various parts of the family to her Great, Great Grandfather from the front line in W.W.1
The Father was Francis Lupton of Newton Park Leeds. and the letters were from his three sons killed in action. Major Francis Lupton, Captain Maurice Lupton and Lieut. Lionel Lupton

There is so much to read o n this so i would say Please have a look although it makes sad reading.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

volvojack wrote:In Today's Daily Mail there is two page spread about the Duchess of various parts of the family to her Great, Great Grandfather from the front line in W.W.1
The Father was Francis Lupton of Newton Park Leeds. and the letters were from his three sons killed in action. Major Francis Lupton, Captain Maurice Lupton and Lieut. Lionel Lupton

There is so much to read o n this so i would say Please have a look although it makes sad reading.

This was also covered in the Daily Telegraph with photos of the three brothers killed in action.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/1 ... -poignant/

I expect Lupton Avenue in Harehills was named after their father.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

tilly

Post by tilly »

Thank you all for the information.