THINGS YOU DON'T SEE ANYMORE (Part 2)

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
volvojack

Re: THINGS YOU DON'T SEE ANYMORE (Part 2)

Post by volvojack »

warringtonrhino wrote:
volvojack wrote:I was going to say Boxing at Elland Road by Leeds lad, warrington rhino (Well Done) but am forgetting that from about the 1960s we have had mobs of hooligan supporters from both home and away who could , wrestle , kung fu and fight running battles quite regularly along Elland Road.
warrington rhino? as the winner of the boxing match was a Leeds lad Josh Warrinton and i assume you once lived in Leeds and now live in / around Warrington that it might be , In my clumsy way of being humerous, i will deletete the post as soon as i am aware that you have seen it. Sorry once again. Volvo Jack

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

Please don't delete your post, and no need to be sorry, I was surprised to find out that I share a nickname with a famous person.
I have supported the Rhinos for 60 years and 12 years ago I did a charity walk with the Sky Rugby team from Hull to Widnes calling at all the rugby league clubs, I was the photographer for the book, In Warrington I met a fan who invited me to stay, as the saying goes, the rest is history.We were married on the 6th of June 2006, and a wedding present was our number plate J666KVC, and I still support the Rhinos.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="warringtonrhino"]Please don't delete your post, and no need to be sorry, I was surprised to find out that I share a nickname with a famous person.

Thank you for being so understanding. I am pleased to saythat the few years i have been privileged to be a member of Secret Leeds i have never ( as far as i am aware ) upset anyone
Kind Regards Jack Daly.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Though i was more of a Football fan than a Rugby fan ( My Father took my Brother and I down to Elland Road for each home game after W.W.2. i did get to know quite a few Rugby League players from both Leeds and Hunslet.
One Friend was Barry Sims who played Leeds in the early 60s, He played for once England against France and quite probably would have been chosen for more had he not broken his leg.
Barry got me a couple of tickets for a Final at Odsal Stadium when Leeds beat Warrington to win their first Championship (They gave the crowd as just over 50.000 but i do believe there could have been many more as the Stadium was just so massive.

Another great player was Lewis Jones who came from Rugby Union to Headingley.

There a quip from folks who were jealous of any Leeds success. "Its Lewis Jones and Jewish Loans"
as there were some Jewish Directors on the Board.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This thread is still very interesting and has currently grown to 46 pages but it's still a tiddler compared to the 283 pages that the 'THINGS YOU DON'T SEE ANYMORE (Part 1)' thread reached before it was closed because it was too long! ;)

I've done a quick search and did not find a mention so I wonder if such as local leagues/pub teams football players still get half an orange at half time and also if they still use that long lasting very smelly liniment that was rubbed over tired muscles to ease them! You could smell it miles away (OK, I may have exaggerated a bit there!).
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

I remember Barry Simms playing for Leeds but I didn't know him or much about him. I also remember his sister Kathleen Simms, who married another Rugby League player called Johnny Wilson. Kathy Simms (Wilson) must have managed more pubs in Leeds than anyone else in history and many of them were really 'rough' pubs.

I was a keen Leeds supporter in the 1950's and I remember walking to the ground to watch an evening game, from Headingley Lane, with Lewis Jones who had just got off a bus and was also walking to the ground to play in the game. I was at Wembley in 1957 when Leeds beat Barrow in the Challenge Cup Final, when Lewis played. I think that Lewis went on to become a school teacher and he has lived at Rawdon for the last few years, he is now 87.

Ian

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi Leodian,

I still watch local Rugby Union and I can't remember seeing trays of oranges being brought on to the pitch, at half time, for many years. When I played, even at school, the oranges were always there. Nowadays, I have noticed that every time there is a stop in play because of a score or an injury, someone comes on to the pitch with small carriers of bottles of water, which never happened in my day - only at half time. Maybe this practice has replaced the oranges.

So far as relates to the liniment, I remember the strong chemical smell from the liniment, but I think that other creams have replaced it. I can also remember some stuff called 'Fiery Jack' which also smelled of chemicals and was used to keep warm and for protection. You had to be careful where you rubbed it though as if put on sensitive skin it felt as though you were burning.

I think that all clubs, even at the lowest levels, have become much more professional and a lot goes on in the changing rooms, prior to the game, in terms of using creams, bandages, etc. Many teams also leave the field, and go to the changing rooms, at half time, instead of remaining on the pitch ------ maybe they eat oranges in secret!

Ian

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

In the 1950s when the majority of Hunslet R.L. players at Parkside were ex.local Schoolboys our next door nieghbour was Roly Harker who if a player got a knock or a slight injury he would rush onto the pitch with his bucket and sponge and whether or not they wanted or needed it Roly would apply the icy cold sponge, usually around the Testicles regardless of the injury suffered. this had the effect of the player recovering just at the sight of Mr. Harker hurrying across the ground seem to help them recover quite quickly. I am not inferring anything, it was that the winters were a lot harsher than they are now

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

The liniment that rugby players used, and some still do, is wintergreen.
It is obtained from Gaultheria Probcumbens, a small plant which is also useful as ground cover.
I have a couple in the garden, they have bright red soft berries about the size of a hawthorn.
Every rugby fan instantly recognizes the very strong scent from a broken leaf.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Leodian wrote: so I wonder if such as local leagues/pub teams football players still get half an orange at half time
Not pub football but my son's youth football team (U16s) had oranges provided by the manager at half time in most games this season. This after being offered oranges by the visiting opposition in the first game.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/