St james street

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
buffaloskinner

Re: St james street

Post by buffaloskinner »

hyperion3 wrote:A few bits and pieces i put together a while ago. https://www.flickr.com/photos/viewfromt ... 2621671216

Some great photos on there, I love the foxes I get them outside my house too.
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

The Cobbled Street down the side of this amazing building was "Back York Street" (!) Google this and 10 photos are shown of this Buildings. It had Large staircases at each end, Toilets, Offices and a large Room both upstairs and down, everything inside there was solid and although as a Carpet Warehouse our Boss wanted to alter things somewhat it was impossible due to the sheer solidness.
In one room under the Stairs there was a Steel / Iron Safe about 5 feet tall. that we never did find out what was in it

polos

Post by polos »

Ive just had a thought. Is the sunday school on exactly the same site as the church? If so the date stones cant be correct

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

This Odd shaped St.James Church which was situated on York Street and near Kirkgate Market, demolished in 1951 I don't recall it. Just where about's was it.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Polos this may be of interest to you

https://www.flickr.com/photos/johnnyg19 ... cretleeds/

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

If you go to http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18 ... rs=168&b=1 and adjust the transparency (slider in bottom left hand corner) then you can see it was wedged between New York St, Back York St and Cross York St

polos

Post by polos »

Thankyou thats interesting. Got to say though its a very plain stone for so many people. Also "near this place" seems pretty vague. Ive always been fascinated as to what happens to old graves when a church get knocked down. Do they sometimes or always transfer the bodies? A few that spring to mind in town are albion chapel (where boots is now), ebeneezer chapel (now under victoria gate) and there was a graveyard on which is now city square in front the old post office. I find it eerie to think bodies could be just left there and now many people walk over them every day without even knowing

polos

Post by polos »

Cheers chemimike so that would place it where the coop is currently. Funny how the sunday school is not listed on maps as far as Ive seen

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="polos"]Cheers chemimike so that would place it where the coop is currently. Funny how the sunday school is not listed on maps as far as Ive seen
That's the Place Chaps, that corner had become an empty space which was then used by the West Riding Bus Company.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

polos wrote:Thankyou thats interesting. Got to say though its a very plain stone for so many people. Also "near this place" seems pretty vague. Ive always been fascinated as to what happens to old graves when a church get knocked down. Do they sometimes or always transfer the bodies? A few that spring to mind in town are albion chapel (where boots is now), ebeneezer chapel (now under victoria gate) and there was a graveyard on which is now city square in front the old post office. I find it eerie to think bodies could be just left there and now many people walk over them every day without even knowing

See the answer to your question I gave previously

https://www.flickr.com/photos/johnnyg19 ... cretleeds/