Slang

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Steve Jones

Re: Slang

Post by Steve Jones »

When I first moved here over 30 years ago,I sometimes heard the word "Doilum" as in "He's a reight doilum" meaning thick or stupid.I was told it was from around Kippax.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

jim

Post by jim »

In the 1950s/60s I often heard the same word round South Leeds, but pronounced "doylem" Steve.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

jim. Down 'yer in Gloucester and Zummerset theym be called a "Gert Lummox

The
only difference is Gert means Great and i should think a Great Doylem in South leeds could be scary, (This species could be hanging around the side of the Tommy Wass Pub

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

The Emporium Insurance Company are using the word "Cushty" in the context of being easy / comfortable in the T.V. Advert showing at the moment.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Steve Jones wrote:When I first moved here over 30 years ago,I sometimes heard the word "Doilum" as in "He's a reight doilum" meaning thick or stupid.I was told it was from around Kippax.
I'm pretty certain like Jim I heard it around South Leeds but I certainly came across it in Moortown in the 70s. I have often wondered if it was anything to do with the Dail (pronounced doyle) one of the chambers of the Irish parliament.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

online dictionaries mention Doylem as a JewishYiddish word for stupid, which is interesting.Lots mention it as North Eastern so not just a Yorkshire term it would appear.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

tilly

Post by tilly »

There was a big Jewish influx around North Street many years ago i wonder if that is were it was picked up from in the Leeds area.Doylum was used a lot in the Hunslet area when was bread snapper.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="Steve Jones"]online dictionaries mention Doylem as a JewishYiddish word for stupid, which is interesting.Lots mention it as North Eastern so not just a Yorkshire term it would appear.

I worked down North Street from the late 1950s into the early 60s and not only were lots of our customers Jewish but just about every Trade, retail or not were Yiddish. i not only picked up an education about life but also learned some Jewish slang words on the way.
One word that is a credit to the Ayran Race is that anything being described as definately "Kosher" means it is certainly O.K.
Some Slang words i did pick up were

Meshuganah....... Crazy.
Gannuf......... Thief.
Drek........ Cheap quality.
Schlep....... Drag or lift a heavy weight.
Tochus...... Persons backside.

Shicksa ,,,,,,,,,, Non Jewish Female
Shmeckle...... Penis.
Momzer........... A Sly Bastard.
Gornish.......... Whatever it is it cheap for whatever price the Person is asking.
A "Bok"............ you put the mockers or bad luck on everything

Am guessing at most of the spelling

tilly

Post by tilly »

Staying with the Jewish populace my mum used to say when she was young most of there houses had a sewing machine that was on the go none stop .A lot of them finished up with there own tailoring businesses they came with nothing and did well for themselves good luck to them i say.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

An Expression which was used mainly in Leeds Districts 8.9.10. 11. 12. 13. 14. was "Pan Crack" referring to being Unemployed and receiving Dole or what is now referred to as Social Security / Benefit etc.
Whilst i do not wish to infer that Folks living in those areas were Benefit Cheats or Lazy just that it was a sad fact that quite a lot of people once they were out of work relied on a Handout. Once getting it Then a Cooked meal was a Luxury. Hence the Frying Pan Crackling on the Stove.

Just wish to add in case anyone thinks i am singling out these areas in any way for a Personal reason may i add that both sets of Grandparents were Born, raised, Lived in Leeds 9. Richmond Hill area and in later years they lived in the then New Leeds 9. My Parents raised us in Leeds 9. and it was not until my Father died in !948 that We moved to Beeston 11. There my brother and I met and married Local girls.
My Pals were mainly Beestonites but our Social time was always York Rd.Pubs or East St area. Only other one i used Regularly was the Beech on Tong Rd. 13.