Football Pitches.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
volvojack

Re: Football Pitches.

Post by volvojack »

Leodian wrote:Hi Jack.

Your "( Most of the Lads i went to School with also had Trials, they were with Leeds Assizes)" made me :).
Thanks Pal,
Happy New Year to you and yours, hope we are still exchanging posts this time next year

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

As i played on many Football pitches in Leeds as a Schoolboy and in later years on a Sunday Morning for various Teams. A few that come to mind are when i was playing for a Team in a Cup game and the home team had the spectators around constantly harassing the the Referee, as the game progressed we were winning and i said to my Pal "When this game ends let's get out of here lively" This match was played just off Pepper Rd. (plevna ?) and as the final whistle went we got into the changing rooms and i grabbed my clobber and was out of there. I need not have worried too much as the mob were too busy chasing the Ref. who had given us a disputed penalty late in the Match. last i saw of him was he threw himself over a wall with some lads after him.

In 1957 i was working at John Collier's factory at the bottom of Garnett Rd. and used to go in Burton Road Cafe for Dinner. they were starting a Football Team up in the Sunday League and somehow i began playing for them. they were mainly Scottish lads and the team was Jalice Rovers. they were quite rough and always getting into trouble during games. The last straw was we were playing on Soldiers Field, Roundhay. and as usual one of them got into trouble with the Ref. For whatever reason our Goalkeeper ran the full length of the field and knocked their Goalie out. not content with that he then knocked the Referee out. By this time my Pal Ken and I were heading for our car. Surprise, surprise That was Jalice Rovers first and last season.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi volvojack Kenny Eyres was from Bewerley Street School they were older than me so i never had contact.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

"tilly"]Hi volvojack Kenny Eyres was from Bewerley Street School they were older than me so i never had contact.

Earlier i posted about me playing in a match where the Ref. fled for his life after the game. as you were an Hunslet lad is it possible that you were one of the spectators and took part. (Just a gentle enquiry)

tilly

Post by tilly »

Not me volvojack i was in borstal at that time Ha.Ha, :lol: :lol:
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

"tilly"]Not me volvojack i was in borstal at that time Ha.Ha,

Kids from our School when in Borstal used to get time off for Bad Behaviour .

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Many many years ago we played some Schools on a pitch that not only was it on a steep slope but has a sort of bend halfway up. the result was when standing on the Goal line at the bottom it was just possible to see the Crossbar at the other end. From memory it was somewhere bordering on Hunslet and a road up to Belle Isle. I
seem to remember there was a Cemetery and a Pub. quite close by.
Most Peculiar , I wonder if anyone remembers it.
Don't suppose it was called the Pineapple ? I think the first letter might have been P.
Last edited by volvojack on Wed 03 Jan, 2018 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Parnaby ??
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="buffaloskinner"]Parnaby ??[
The Parnaby Tavern
That certainly does seem likely, but as i was still at School i could not say for certain but will give a Pal of mine a ring this evening, Maurice Langton. he has lived most of his life in Leeds 10 and does know plenty about Hunslet and it's Pubs, of which there were many.

tomq

Post by tomq »

At that time the pub was called the Cemetery Tavern.
Tom