Middleton Hub

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
tyke bhoy

Middleton Hub

Post by tyke bhoy »

Has anybody been to the new "cycle track" in Middleton park? Good, bad, indifferent?
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Bruno

Re: Middleton Hub

Post by Bruno »

Who would dare venture into Middleton on anything so valuable as a bicycle?
The older I get, the better I was.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Bruno wrote:Who would dare venture into Middleton on anything so valuable as a bicycle?
And what delectable part of the city do you live Bruno that doesn't have any crime :?: I live in Middleton and just like anywhere else its a small minority that cause any problems :evil:
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

MiggyBill

Post by MiggyBill »

buffaloskinner wrote:
Bruno wrote:Who would dare venture into Middleton on anything so valuable as a bicycle?
And what delectable part of the city do you live Bruno that doesn't have any crime :?: I live in Middleton and just like anywhere else its a small minority that cause any problems :evil:
I agree with Buffaloskinner. I too live in Middleton and can say with experience, having also lived in Cottingley, Hunslet, Harehills, Beeston, Woodhouse and Armley that Middleton is no worse or better than any other area. It galls me when people have such a low opinion of Midddleton and South Leeds in general when every area of every city has it's problems. If we were to make sweeping generalisations we could say that the affluent areas are inhabited by the worst kind of people as that is where all the tax dodgers, expense fiddlers etc. are likely to live.

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

Don't you just get sick of lazy stereotypes?

Middleton born (Middleton Park grove and Acre Square) and agreeing with the above "Miggyites".
The woods and amenities are a great improvement from what went before,Idiots dwell in every district.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Though i never lived in Miggy i do have many happy / mixed memories of the Woods/ Clearings.
Kings Climax Engineering Works Football team played their Home games on the Clearings My Brother played for them on a regular basis and i got a game if they were a man short.
Quite strangely, although Kick Off was 3.pm. the Team would meet at 1.pm. in Tommy Wass Pub, the end of Old Lane. Most of the team would swig a few Pints down and then approx. 2.pm. set off up, i think it was Gypsy Lane, up through the Woods and onto the pitches. I was half the age of some of these lads but even having some booze they would play and win some Matches, i could hardly get my breath.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="TABBYCAT"]Don't you just get sick of lazy stereotypes?

Middleton born (Middleton Park grove and Acre Square) and agreeing with the above "Miggyites".
The woods and amenities are a great improvement from what went before,Idiots dwell in every district.

My pal and I were about 17 in the 1950s and one Night we met Cynthia and Eileen who lived somewhere around Acre Square, two nicer Lasses you could not wish to meet. Unfortunately we had to do National Service so just after Ken was Posted to Malta and i was 200 miles away in the West Country we lost touch. Months later my Mother, who was still asking Whatever happened to that nice girl Cynthia? and my Ma. was quite choosy.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

In the late 1950s i used to borrow an old 4 door Rover car, Miggy Woods was my Courting place. I was taking out a lass from Beeston and i used to drive down between the trees and park near the Football pitches. after a couple of times i found reversing out onto the Path a bit tricky as there were tree's leaves. and a steamy rear window to contend with. The next time i hit on the clever/ simple idea, just drive onto the football pitch, turn around and drive out with full headlights to guide me.
What i did not realise was that there was a ditch about 1.foot or so dug all around, (Probably to stop folks driving on there.) My motors front wheels dropped in and we were stuck.
Trying to work out the nearest way home i said we should walk across the Clearing and head for Gypsy Lane, down near the Rex and then a Taxi for her.
Last edited by volvojack on Mon 01 Jan, 2018 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Part 2.
As we were walking / stumbling down there i could see a row of street lights away to our Left and assumed they were Middleton Rind Roag. as we carried on i found that there were now no lights anywhere and looming up in front was what seemed like a small mountain. I then became aware of a strong 'orrible smell and realised it was some sort of Corpration rubbish tip.
By this time she was in tears but i said we have to get on and climb this. I had to drag her up this and when we did get on top i could see lights again. When we managed to get there they were blocks of Flats and we were in Belle Isle. I found a phone box and rang a Taxi number but when he arrived he took one look and drove off.
More tears and her tights were in shreds and we were both covered in God only knows what.
I rang another number and promised them 3 times the amount to collect us.
I finally got her home and though we did continue to see each other things were never quite the same.
The final saga was the following morning when the Police began to phone my Mates after reports by dog walkers etc. As the windows were still steamed up some folks thought it might contain a dead body.
Luckily i had a pal Bill who owned a 1 ton diesel Van so we got a couple of shovels, a tow rope and from the back of his garage an old strong wooden door. When we arrived there quite a crowd were watching.
We dug under the Wheels/ Chassis at the front, slipped the door underneath and gently pulled the car forward. managed more by luck than judgement to get the Rover onto the level. Fortunately there was no damage
Though i did have more embarrassing, compromising situations in Cars they were not in Miggy Woods.