EX. PRINCESS CINEMA. RICHMOND HILL LS9

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Brunel

EX. PRINCESS CINEMA. RICHMOND HILL LS9

Post by Brunel »

ImageEX. PRINCESS CINEMA. RICHMOND HILL LS9

The Princess Cinema opened on 30th March 1923. It was built for Messrs. A. Cohen and Cardis who employed local Leeds based architect; J.P. Crawford to design the building.
Always independently operated, it served the community well and finally closed on 31st July 1965 with Elvis Presley in "Roustabout". Children’s matinee performances continued until the 14th September 1965, after which the building was converted into a full-time bingo club that operated for many years.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=53.7 ... 59/-1.5197

volvojack

Re: EX. PRINCESS CINEMA. RICHMOND HILL LS9

Post by volvojack »

When my sister, brother and i were kids living on the Gipton Estate the only Cinema's within reach were the Shaftesbury and the Hillcrest which entailed a hike so visiting the Princess was a real treat. we would board a Tram and alight at the Hope Inn on York Road and walk up Pontefract Lane. Another one, farther back up York Road was the Star Cinema in the Glenthorpe's so we had a choice if one Film showing seemed more attractive,
The Star was a much larger as i recall.

tilly

Post by tilly »

My local clnema was the Strand on Jack Lane then the Regai on Hunslet Road then the Palace at the junction of Meadow Lane and Dewsbury Road .
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

tilly"My local clnema was the Strand on Jack Lane then the Regal on Hunslet Road then the Palace at the junction of Meadow Lane and Dewsbury Road .
Did you never go the the Queens Cinema on Jack Lane.

The Queens which was on the Junction with Jack Lane and Meadow Road, It was a real classy place which had been a Theatre before it became a Cinema and had an extremely Imposing frontage with marble Pillars and the only drawback was it had Pillars inside to support the Balcony and if you were unfortunate to find yourself behind one it was difficult to see the Movie.

I was surprised such a place was built there considering it was situated in such an Industrial area.

I did visit the Strand on Jack Lane once and that was to buy a Remould tyre.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi Jack yes i did go to the Queens there were two balcony s the top one was not used after it was turned into a cinema, you are right about the posh building .Often wonder why they built it there you could not say it was a rich area and out of town as well .Just remembered i used to go to the Malvern Cinema on Beeston Hill you would think with the amount of cinemas i went to i had plenty of money not so.i used to collect old news papers and weigh them in also pop bottles to return to the shop this is how i made my spending money.More cinemas i went to.Regent Dewsbury Road also Tower cinema Dewsbury Road only went once to the Rex cinema up near the Tommy Wass Pub.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="tilly"]Hi Jack yes i did go to the Queens there were two balcony s the top one was not used after it was turned into a cinema, you are right about the posh building .Often wonder why they built it there you could not say it was a rich area and out of town as well .Just remembered i used to go to the Malvern Cinema on Beeston Hill you would think with the amount of cinemas i went to i had plenty of money not so.i used to collect old news papers and weigh them in also pop bottles to return to the shop this is how i made my spending money.More cinemas i went to.Regent Dewsbury Road also Tower cinema Dewsbury Road only went once to the Rex cinema up near the Tommy Wass Pub.
The Queens was possibly one of the finest looking Theatre / Cinemas ever built in Leeds but i am not capable of putting a photo on to show it either the inside or the Facade.
Don't know of any Regent or Tower Cinema's on Dewsbury Road, there was the Pavilion which was opposite Burton Road and the Crescent which was half a mile or so higher up.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Spot on Jack you are right there coming to take me away Ha. Ha

Loiner in Cyprus

Post by Loiner in Cyprus »

The cinemas I visited back in the 50s and 60s were: The Dominion and Kingsway on Harrogate Road, the Forum on Chapeltown Road, the Capital in Meanwood and the Royal on Meanwood Road. All used to have Saturday matinees. I cannot remember if it was the Royal or the Forum that had 2 rows of wooden seats at the front which were the cheapest seats, but you came out with a stiff neck from looking up to the screen. Hurray for the goodies and boo for the baddies!

tilly

Post by tilly »

I remember some of the films you had to be accompanied with an adult we would stand outside and ask people to take us in.There was always someone who would agree to take us in. funny how things spring to mind i never thought of this until now.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="tilly"]I remember some of the films you had to be accompanied with an adult we would stand outside and ask people to take us in.There was always someone who would agree to take us in. funny how things spring to mind i never thought of this until now.

If they were a couple you would add "I promise i won't sit near you"
Odd times they might say "We are not going" in and then just as they were level with the entrance they would dive in.
Not sure that these days that kids would be safe.