Queens Hotel stories

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

The Aussies that I mean in the post above were the all-conquering RL tourists from the mid-seventies and for about ten years after that.I wouldn't want to give RL the notoriety it hardly deserves. It probably was the RU lads who decked Paul Weller.

edlong

Post by edlong »

Not sure it'll fit in with the other "characters" per the OP, but Leslie Caron (An American in Paris, Gigi) stayed at the Queens in 2001 while filming an American TV remake of Murder on the Orient Express.

BIG N

Post by BIG N »

Johnny39 wrote: I never had any idea what a brasserie was or is and if I'm honest I still don't.     Johnny - It's French for expensive snack bar lol    

Patexpat

Post by Patexpat »

I remember the late Frankie Howard propping up the bar at the QH ... along with a couple of er, 'romantic' stories not to be repeated! I'm guessing late 70s early 80's? He was doing something at YTV I think.

majorhoundii

Post by majorhoundii »

Phill_dvsn wrote: I once saw Dennis Waterman in the Harlequins bar, it was the time they were filming Stay Lucky around these parts, he's even smaller in real life than he looks on screen. There was no pompous air about him, he was just enjoying a drink, and I didn't really see anyone really bother him, he was just another bloke at the bar.I never did care for Mel Smith, or Griff" Rhys Jones really, their brand of 'new and alternate comedy' not really being so funny or standing the test of time.Ronnie Barker was deeply upset about the mickey taking sketches Smith & Jones used to do, they used to parody the two Ronnies as old fashioned, out of date, and everything was predictably the same. I find that rather ironic these days. You only have to mention ''fork handles'' to anyone and they remember that brilliant sketch to this day, yet Mel Smith has faded into obscurity, and Griff" Rhys Jones is probably best known for being a short tempered and not very likeable person lol                  I liked Ronnie Barker in Porridge. But I was never keen on Ronnie Corbett. And I hated the Two Ronnies, I thought Fork Handles contrived and not very funny. Having said that I didn't like Gryff Rhys Jones and Mel Smith much either. If it's sendsups you're looking for French and Saunders used to do a pretty good one of Smith and Jones

majorhoundii

Post by majorhoundii »

salt 'n pepper wrote: onenorthernsoul wrote: .....There was also a report that Paul Weller when in the Jam, had a scrap with some Australia RU players, but I'm fairly sure that definitely was the Dragonara. Apparently he always refused to tour Aus as he got a good chinning! The Aussies used the Dragonara as their northern base for two or three tours. They used to train at Burton's Sports during the day, and then go and beat all comers at night - including Paul Weller by the sound of it!I remember they once returned from a trip over the Pennines to find that the whole floor (or was it two) they occupied had been ransacked and a lot of their personal possessions had been pinched. I know that GB/England RL used the Metropole as a base during the 2000 World Cup. My cousin's daughter was there the night that they'd been hammered by NZ at the Reebok. She was propositioned by Gary Connolly with the line "do you want to come back to my room for loads of sex?"

Si

Post by Si »

Phill_dvsn wrote: I never did care for Mel Smith, or Griff" Rhys Jones really, their brand of 'new and alternate comedy' not really being so funny or standing the test of time.         I agree, but I still remember their Scandinavian chemist shop sketch:In strong Swedish accent,"I would like some deoderant ,please.""Certainly, sir. Ball or aerosol?""Neither. It's for my armpits."

leedslily

Post by leedslily »

onenorthernsoul wrote: leedslily wrote: As geeky muso teenagers, my friend and I met John Peel in about 1978, when there was a Radio 1 week in Leeds based at the Queens - what a lovely bloke he was. We handed in a record request at reception, then sat in City Square listening in on our transistor radio. Next thing we knew the man himself appeared on a balcony and shouted 'D'you want to come up?' and we spent the next half hour or so sitting in on his show, too awestruck to speak a word. Had to leave to get the last bus home, but we were the height of cool at school the next day! Was that Peely's 10pm til midnight show then? What a story, I'm having it if that's okay And what was the record?A mate was looking into a story that the Sex Pistols once stayed at the QH and that probably Vicious peed from a balcony. I'm not sure either way, I would have thought the Dragonara was likelier a hotel for them to stay in. There was also a report that Paul Weller when in the Jam, had a scrap with some Australia RU players, but I'm fairly sure that definitely was the Dragonara. Apparently he always refused to tour Aus as he got a good chinning! You're welcome! :-)Yes, it was the 10pm to midnight show. Can't rememember what the record was, but probably something by Elvis Costello, knowing our tastes at the time. Peely gave us a can of Coke each too - we probably should have kept them as souvenirs!

dogduke

Re: Queens Hotel stories

Post by dogduke »

Is onenorthernsoul still viewing this site ?

Did anything come of this project ?

If your still there Rob E let us know,I may be able to add some bits and pieces,don't know
how I missed this before.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

davedeath

Re: Queens Hotel stories

Post by davedeath »

I once spent a week using the Lord Mayor's suite (top right of the building as you look at it) for work-related stuff, and very nice too.

Probably of more interest, when Nelson Mandela came to Leeds, after he'd opened the Mandela gardens he went to the Queen's to address local business leaders. I've some pictures somewhere from when he was leaving the Queen's, and it was obvious then that he was in very poor health.

Also, I must mention the revolving dance floor at Planet Earth underneath the hotel. It always seemed to revolve much quicker than you thought, particularly when trying to get off it, leading to many a person being propelled at speed into fairly innocent bystanders.