Dates on Crispin House, New York Road.

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Leodian

Dates on Crispin House, New York Road.

Post by Leodian »

Crispin House on New York Road, Leeds, was originally Heaton's factory. Part of it at least has recently been converted into apartments (Crispin Lofts) and also a bar. On July 6 2017 I happened to notice 2 dates on Crispin House that look very fresh so presumably have only relatively recently been put there. One states "1926 Extension" and the other states "2012". The first photo shows the 1926 one and the second the 2012 one. The third photo shows Crispin House (the brown building) though New York Road that it fronts is hidden by the Inner Ring Road wall. The 1926 date is high on the right and the 2012 date is high on the left near to the dome.

In information I found it stated Crispin House is a Grade II listed building whose first part was built 1914-1916 at the corner of North Street/New York Road (that part was later used by H. W. Poole's) and then the extension was added. I assume the 2012 refers to some recent alterations to Crispin House.
CrispinHouse1927DateNewYorkRoadLeedsJuly062017..jpg
CrispinHouse1927DateNewYorkRoadLeedsJuly062017..jpg (98.55 KiB) Viewed 3116 times
CrispinHouse2012DateNewYorkRoadLeedsJuly062017..jpg
CrispinHouse2012DateNewYorkRoadLeedsJuly062017..jpg (99.34 KiB) Viewed 3116 times
CrispinHouseNewYorkRoad(ThatHiddenByInnerRingRoadWall)LeedsJuly062017..jpg
CrispinHouseNewYorkRoad(ThatHiddenByInnerRingRoadWall)LeedsJuly062017..jpg (116.23 KiB) Viewed 3116 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

jma

Re: Dates on Crispin House, New York Road.

Post by jma »

As St Crispin is the patron saint of cobblers and shoemakers, I had always assumed that the name of this building was an allusion to Poole's business here. I don't remember Heatons but I do remember a rather snobbish 1950's TV advert for girls' school uniforms: "The very best girls wear Heatonex, the very best girls-wear." I've no idea if it's the same company.
Last edited by jma on Tue 18 Jul, 2017 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="jma"]As St Crispin is the patron saint of cobblers and shoemakers, I had always assumed that the name of this building was sn sllusion to Poole's business here. I don't remember Heatons but I do remember a rather snobbish 1950's TV advert for girls' school uniforms: "The very best girls wear Heatonex, the very best girls-wear." I've no idea if it's the same company.

I worked in North Street in the late 1950s and that building certainly was Heatons tailoring factory. On the Dome was the Company name. In later years it became split into various trade units. i remember taking my Mother to a Chiropodist on the ground floor in the 70s.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="Leodian"]Crispin House on New York Road, Leeds, was originally Heaton's factory. Part of it at least has recently been converted into apartments (Crispin Lofts) and also a bar. On July 6 2017 I happened to notice 2 dates on Crispin House that look very fresh so presumably have only relatively recently been put there. One states "1926 Extension" and the other states "2012". The first photo shows the 1926 one and the second the 2012 one. The third photo shows Crispin House (the brown building) though New York Road that it fronts is hidden by the Inner Ring Road wall. The 1926 date is high on the right and the 2012 date is high on the left near to the dome.

In information I found it stated Crispin House is a Grade II listed building whose first part was built 1914-1916 at the corner of North Street/New York Road (that part was later used by H. W. Poole's) and then the extension was added. I assume the 2012 refers to some recent alterations to Crispin House.

It is still a fine building even though it's sad that there are no longer people employed there. The buiders took a pride in those days, it reminds me of the Alf Cooke building on Hunslet road. any structures erected these days are just a souless blocks that may possibly last 50 years or so, being ugly from the first to last.
The Ford Company ( Tates ? ) that was next door i think i once read somewhere that they occupied the ground floor of Cripin House as a Showroom a long time ago.
It is quite possible that i have imagined that bit.

tilly

Post by tilly »

I think the same has you volvojack little boxes made of ticky tacky only not so little.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.