Quarry Hill, World War 2, Adel Woods Bunkers, and Hitler!

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Brunel

Re: Quarry Hill, World War 2, Adel Woods Bunkers, and Hitler!

Post by Brunel »

The 25K map shows a bridge over the line and a footpath going under the line.

http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=431278 ... &A=Y&Z=115

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

The map is from 1964

:arrow:
Attachments
Marsh Lane.jpg
Marsh Lane.jpg (569.92 KiB) Viewed 3567 times
Marsh Lane Yard.jpg
Marsh Lane Yard.jpg (490.73 KiB) Viewed 3567 times
Marsh Lane Goods & Station 1964.JPG
Marsh Lane Goods & Station 1964.JPG (449.59 KiB) Viewed 3567 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

On a date front for the aerial view it can hopefully be narrowed down by what is or isn't there. My fist two attempts failed though as the building by the Regent Street/York Road/Eastgate roundabout (now an ATS tyre and MOT centre) has 1914 on the front. The extension looks more modern but also appears to be on the aerial view. The Marquis of Granby (now a JobCentre) seems to have relocated to Eastgate in 1933 so that's no help either. Is that the Northern "Bookend" that can just be seen on the Eastgate hill?
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

On a date front for the aerial view it can hopefully be narrowed down by what is or isn't there. My fist two attempts failed though as the building by the Regent Street/York Road/Eastgate roundabout (now an ATS tyre and MOT centre) has 1914 on the front. The extension looks more modern but also appears to be on the aerial view. The Marquis of Granby (now a JobCentre) seems to have relocated to Eastgate in 1933 so that's no help either. Is that the Northern "Bookend" that can just be seen on the Eastgate hill?
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks all for your help regarding the date of the photo and information on such as the footbridge :).

That would have been a great view for those occupants of Quarry Hill Flats that looked up Eastgate to see the 'bookends' of which that on the left (as seen) was demolished to make way for the Victoriagate centre.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="tyke bhoy"]On a date front for the aerial view it can hopefully be narrowed down by what is or isn't there. My fist two attempts failed though as the building by the Regent Street/York Road/Eastgate roundabout (now an ATS tyre and MOT centre) has 1914 on the front. The extension looks more modern but also appears to be on the aerial view. The Marquis of Granby (now a JobCentre) seems to have relocated to Eastgate in 1933 so that's no help either. Is that the Northern "Bookend" that can just be seen on the Eastgate hill.

The building (1914 ) on the corner of Regent Street was a Bank, maybe Midland and was still open for a short while even when the York Road Flyover was built. I think the building next to it was a car showroom.the one next to that was certainly a Rootes Group Branch which sold all the wonderful British made cars, Hillmans. Singers, Humbers etc.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Shannon Street footbridge has crossed my mind several times in the past,I used to use it when about 13-14 years old to visit
our scout master in Saxton Gardens.
Never felt afraid although looking back it seems a bit scary now to have done it.
However,this evening I had a scout round.
Over the weekend I traced a planning application dated January 1996 by Railtrack,"determination to replace a footbridge Shannon Street to Railway Street",true to form I can't find it now,so that was the modern starting point of what we have there now.
The Shannon Street entry was fenced off quite some time ago and the vegetation hides any trace of the past.
The vegetation in the old goods yard likewise hides a lot.
The railway street entrance still uses the original 2 ramps to what I presume is the new structure which I think then joins the original bridge across the main lines and goes where I do not know.
The span across the goods yard could still be there but you cannot get a good look vantage point or vision through the jungle.
It was my intention to go up the ramp and have a good look but I was approached by a "lady" begging for money.
She was at the top of the ramp so she could spot people coming.
Seems like a job for another day !
I did manage a few photos,not too informative though,might know more when I get round to having another look.

One thing springs to mind,why did they build what was a substantial bridge ?
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Regarding the well built footbridge it seems that in the old days they always made thing to last. As a kid going to Mount St. Mary's school, Richmond Hill in the 1940s it was still quite well used. even though most of the houses on the Bank had,being demolished there were still many businesses around the fringe of that area, workshops, factory's etc. everybody got about on foot and i imagine that was a really busy crossing. my Parents lived at one time lived in Shannon St. in the 1920s.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

:idea:

You can see what left of the footbridge here, along with the new path

https://binged.it/2qEM6VG

also a couple more pics of the original footbridge

:arrow:
Attachments
Marsh Lane Bridge & Yard 1966.jpg
Marsh Lane Bridge & Yard 1966.jpg (167.97 KiB) Viewed 3425 times
Marsh Lane Bridge 1974.jpg
Marsh Lane Bridge 1974.jpg (296.17 KiB) Viewed 3425 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="buffaloskinner"]:idea:

You can see what left of the footbridge here, along with the new path

https://binged.it/2qEM6VG

also a couple more pics of the original footbridge

Great old pictures, brings back memories, Thanks very much.