Skelton Grange power station.

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Leodian

Skelton Grange power station.

Post by Leodian »

Skelton Grange power station is mentioned in a number of Secret Leeds threads but on doing a search there did not seem to be a thread specifically related to Skelton Grange power station so I have started this one (apologies if there is a specific thread that I missed on searching).

Looking through some old photos yesterday I came across some that I took during the demolition of Skelton Grange power station. They were taken from the end of Osmondthorpe Lane at about 8.00 a.m. on November 12 1995, with a slight early mist and the power station would be about ½ mile away to a bit more. I scanned the darkish photos and to my surprise they have not come out too bad (well I think they are not bad ;)). Not really knowing how to do so I have not manipulated the images so I accept that I could have got better results if I had done so. I hope they are still of interest despite not being good quality.

I recall taking the photos by simply pressing the camera shutter several times during the demolition and just hoping something came out. I was thus very surprised then to actually manage to get images during the collapse. I have done an Internet search but did not readily at least come across photos taken during the demolition, but I suspect there must surely be some.

I had noted the date/time I took the photos on the back of them but I was surprised that it was in 1995 as if asked I would have guessed that the last of the cooling towers and the chimney were demolished in the late 1980s.

Assuming that there is still a limit of 3 images per post I have posted the first 3 photos here and the other 2 will be in my next post to this thread.
SkeltonGrangePowerStation(1)AboutToBeDemolishedAbout8.00a.m.Nov121995..jpg
SkeltonGrangePowerStation(1)AboutToBeDemolishedAbout8.00a.m.Nov121995..jpg (137.43 KiB) Viewed 4038 times
SkeltonGrangePowerStation(2)BeingDemolishedAbout8.a.m.Nov121995..jpg
SkeltonGrangePowerStation(2)BeingDemolishedAbout8.a.m.Nov121995..jpg (124.37 KiB) Viewed 4038 times
SkeltonGrangePowerStation(3)BeingDemolishedAbout8.00a.m.Nov121995..jpg
SkeltonGrangePowerStation(3)BeingDemolishedAbout8.00a.m.Nov121995..jpg (121.89 KiB) Viewed 4038 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Leodian

Re: Skelton Grange power station.

Post by Leodian »

These are the 2 photos showing the last stage of the demolition of Skelton Grange power station on a slightly misty November 12 1995 at about 8.00 a.m.
SkeltonGrangePowerStation(4)AlmostDemolishedAbout8.00a.m.Nov121995..jpg
SkeltonGrangePowerStation(4)AlmostDemolishedAbout8.00a.m.Nov121995..jpg (124.69 KiB) Viewed 4037 times
SkeltonGrangePowerStation(5)AlmostDemolishedAbout8.00a.m.Nov121995..jpg
SkeltonGrangePowerStation(5)AlmostDemolishedAbout8.00a.m.Nov121995..jpg (122.01 KiB) Viewed 4037 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Good Pictures, Good Riddance.
When i was demobbed in 1957 my pal and i, he was alo demobbed on the same day we were instructed to go down to the Labour Exchange, off Gower Street to have our cards stamped as unemployed. we were offered a job at Skelton Grange as "Brush Hands", not knowing what that entailed we both said Yes, and were instructed to go there immediately. Arriving there we were passed on to a man in a boiler suit who took us under one of these Cooling Towers. I was already getting a bad feeling about this but we followed him up ladders and platforms 'till it was getting gloomy . then he gave us each a wire brush from somewhere and said Scrape the walls.
Bearing in mind in those days one went everywhere in either a suit or jacket and trousers, clean shirt and tie. though we were fit and ready to work i said "F...k this" or words to that effect and we climbed down and got the Bus back to Town.
When passing that place many times in later years i never forgot that place

tilly

Post by tilly »

.Double post sorry it was not my fault promise. :oops:
Last edited by tilly on Mon 17 Apr, 2017 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Well done Leodion its a blast from the past if you pardon the pun. :lol:
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.