Is this a street drain into the River Aire? (not a quiz).

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Leodian

Is this a street drain into the River Aire? (not a quiz).

Post by Leodian »

When I was in the area around Victoria Bridge, Leeds, on March 16 2017 I noticed a circular 'drain' in the wall of the river. The 'drain' looks like it is new or perhaps it is an old drain that has been renovated. I wonder if anyone knows anything about it? I am guessing it might be a drain that carries street water into the River Aire. It is near the ASDA Headquarters but it seems probably too small to be a drain for that large building. Interestingly there are 2 old looking features to the right of the 'drain' of which 1 at least seems to be manmade. There may also be an old feature up and left of the 'drain' that may have a bit of old pipe in it. The first photo shows a close-up of the 'drain' and the second shows a wider field-of-view of its location (including a gull :) ).
QuerySurfaceWaterDrainIntoRiverAireBelowVictoriaBridgeLeedsMar162017..jpg
QuerySurfaceWaterDrainIntoRiverAireBelowVictoriaBridgeLeedsMar162017..jpg (130.41 KiB) Viewed 2516 times
QuerySurfaceWaterDrainIntoRiverAireBelowVictoriaBridgeLeedsMar162017WithGull.jpg
QuerySurfaceWaterDrainIntoRiverAireBelowVictoriaBridgeLeedsMar162017WithGull.jpg (155.41 KiB) Viewed 2516 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Peterdavidshaw

Re: Is this a street drain into the River Aire? (not a quiz).

Post by Peterdavidshaw »

Id presume that its just a rain water drain, i cant imagine it being anything else due to the laws on pollution

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

It might be the outfall of the Benyon beck?

jim

Post by jim »

There is another similar circular formation further down-river near Leeds Bridge. This also may be connected to the Benyon Beck - it seems to be more closely aligned with the route of that long-lost water course as depicted on old maps.

jma

Post by jma »

If it's on the canal side of the river, I think it may be a canal overflow. I think these are needed when locks higher up are opened if the extra water isn't drained by lower locks being opened. I also think there's a need to be able to drain individual sections without opening locks lower down.

If you stand on Wellington Bridge on the Kirkstall side and look on the left bank there are a couple of round outfalls which I believe serve this purpose.

OTOH there are street drains like that eg if you cross the river by the footbridge from Canal Road, there's a drain just like that from the Kirkstall side.

(Sitting at my computer, I'm not sure where that picture is taken. If it's to the East of Lock No 1, it cant have anything to do with the canal.)

jim

Post by jim »

East of Victoria Road Bridge, so probably not connected with the canal.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

jim wrote:East of Victoria Road Bridge, so probably not connected with the canal.
Hi jim :).

That's right. Standing on Victoria Bridge looking downriver the feature is on the right bank a little way down from the bridge. The photos were though taken from the opposite bank.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

jma's suggestion in the post on Tue Mar 21, 2017 that if the drain was on the canal side of the river it may be a canal overflow is very interesting as it reminded me of a 'drain' a little downriver on the right when standing on the footbridge over the River Aire shortly after that comes out from the Dark Arches (at the Leeds Station Southern Entrance). The drain sometimes has a trickle of water coming out, though I don't recall seeing it immediately after moderate rain and I suspect it was covered in the Boxing Day 2015 flood.

I do wonder if the 'drain' may be connected to the old graving docks still on the other side of the building by the river there and so possibly (but very tentatively suggesting) an old overflow for those? I've looked at some maps going back to 1850 but their scale is not large enough to show the feature, if it was there then. I have added 2 photos that I took on February 19 2015 with one showing the location and the other a closer in view of the drain. The short flight of steps is also interesting, possibly to do with the boatyard that used to be there?
QueryOldDrainIntoRiverAireAfterDarkArchesFeb192015..jpg
QueryOldDrainIntoRiverAireAfterDarkArchesFeb192015..jpg (130.93 KiB) Viewed 2410 times
CloseUpQueryOldDrainIntoRiverAireAfterDarkArchesFeb192015..jpg
CloseUpQueryOldDrainIntoRiverAireAfterDarkArchesFeb192015..jpg (146.01 KiB) Viewed 2410 times

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Leo this outlet has been discussed before, and it is an overflow from the old boatyard dry docks used mainly for draining the dock after the boat has entered. The small dry dock is now under the flats (sorry apartments).
Attachments
Boatyard 1891 map.JPG
Boatyard 1891 map.JPG (157.64 KiB) Viewed 2391 times
Canal Basin 1991.JPG
Canal Basin 1991.JPG (376.7 KiB) Viewed 2391 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks for that information buffaloskinner :). Apologies for not spotting that the drain had been discussed before but I was at least right in assuming it may have had to do with the old graving docks.

You state "The small dry dock is now under the flats (sorry apartments)" but as the 2 old dry docks on the map are still there (but both water filled and often also with lots of rubbish) I did not know there was a dock that is now under the flats.