Leeds born Somme hero's Victoria Cross and his other medals up for auction.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Leodian

Leeds born Somme hero's Victoria Cross and his other medals up for auction.

Post by Leodian »

There is a report on page 10 of the Yorkshire Evening Post (YEP) today (Feb 10 2017) headed 'Leeds Somme hero's medals go under hammer'. In the report it states "He was a Holbeck lad and War hero, who won a Victoria Cross for his extraordinary courage on the first day of the Battle of the Somme". His Military Cross and other medals are being sold and "could fetch up to £220,000".

Perhaps Leeds Council could bid to try to win the medals so that they remain in Leeds, unless the winning bidder does donate them to Leeds. Though George survived WW1 he sadly died aged just 55 in 1950.

This is a link to the YEP online report:- http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... -1-8381246 and this is a link to George's record in the Wikipedia website https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Sanders_(VC)
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

volvojack

Re: Leeds born Somme hero's Victoria Cross and his other medals up for auction.

Post by volvojack »

Just lets hope the Council do try and retain them.
Looking at this brave mans record i notice there is a wall plaque to him and about 16 or so other V.C. holders from Leeds.
Would you know where this is >

tilly

Post by tilly »

There is a plaque out side the art gallery in town to all the vc holders from this area it is near the war memorial could this be it.?
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

hyperion3

Post by hyperion3 »

Last edited by hyperion3 on Sat 11 Feb, 2017 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

tilly wrote:There is a plaque out side the art gallery in town to all the vc holders from this area it is near the war memorial could this be it.?
The one i saw on line is the same as hyperions and these men were all from leeds

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi volvojack We tend to forget how much we owe to our men and women who lost there lives in the wars.The people in this country who moan about there lot dont know how lucky they are, R.I.P.to all of them we have lost.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

So true tilly,
I tink it will be the next generation that will have really forgotten them as we mainly had relatives or family who took part in these two Wars in the most appalling conditions.
Any future conflicts i would think, are likely not to be hand to hand fighting as these two were.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Talking of the sacrifice of all of those brave men and women it will sadly not be that long before the last of the generation who saw action in WW2 will be coming to the end of their life. At least 40 years back I was given a set of WW2 medals by a neighbour who no longer wanted them (I think they were too much of a painful reminder for her). They are for a Private A. Kitchen, who sadly did not survive to receive them. With them I was also given a WW1 Great War medal 1914-1919 and a WW1 Victory medal 1914-1918, which on the edge of each it states '33498 PTE. A. KITCHEN. M.G.C.'.

I also have the same two WW1 medals but for a '828 PTE J. SMITH. W. YORK R.' and a 1914-1915 Star on the back of which it also states '828 PTE. J. SMITH. W. YORK. R.'. I have also got the 1914-1915 Star on the back of which it states "ES. 2811. A.F.GREEN. ENGN., R.N.R.'. As it was very many years back I don't recall where I got those medals from but I think I bought them from a dealer.

I've tried looking up readily available online records but I have been unable to find information on those men so I wonder if anyone who has access to in-depth records may be good enough to please try to find if any information is available.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Loiner in Cyprus

Post by Loiner in Cyprus »

My dad was in the Chindits in WW2. I can remember me and my brother playing with his medals and ribbons when we were kids in the 50s. He said he wasn't interested in them. His usual comment when you asked him about what happened was 'we did what we had to do now let's move on make the world a better place'.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Leo

Here is a copy of the British War and Victory Medal Award Sheet for 33498 Pte Albert Kitchen, fourth name up from the bottom. He was in the Machine Gun Corps and at the end of the war he was transferred (Class Z) to the reserve on the 13 June 1919. So the good news is that he survived the war but without more information I am unable to tell you much more. His wife may have given you the medals because the war may have affected him and his home life (shell shock) and she did not want to be reminded of it, this unfortunately happened a lot.
I will have a look for the other names later today.
If you would like a full size copy of the Award sheet then send me a private message with your email.
Attachments
Albert Kitchen 33498 MGC (2).jpg
Albert Kitchen 33498 MGC (2).jpg (606.9 KiB) Viewed 2372 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?