Just for fun, guess what this Leeds place does by its name.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Leodian

Just for fun, guess what this Leeds place does by its name.

Post by Leodian »

This is just for fun.

The name 'The Cat's Pyjamas' caught my eye today on a new looking place in the centre of Leeds. From its name I would not have guessed what its business is, so I wonder what others would guess it might be. If you know the answer please don't give it.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

chemimike

Re: Just for fun, guess what this Leeds place does by its name.

Post by chemimike »

To me the term means the owner thinks it is something really special. so it is probably a grossly overpriced and clothes shop selling rather ridiculous clothes

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

Having now googled it I realise I'm really wrong, though possibly right in thinking the owner thinks it's something wonderful

LS1

Post by LS1 »

The origin of the word pyjamas is a hefty clue...

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

LS1 wrote:The origin of the word pyjamas is a hefty clue...
You seem to clearly know the answer LS1 but did you need to spoil the fun by posting a clue and particularly such a "hefty clue"? :roll:. Others may still have wanted to guess what I suspect might otherwise have been an unexpected answer.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Leodian wrote:
LS1 wrote:The origin of the word pyjamas is a hefty clue...
You seem to clearly know the answer LS1 but did you need to spoil the fun by posting a clue and particularly such a "hefty clue"? :roll:. Others may still have wanted to guess what I suspect might otherwise have been an unexpected answer.
I personally don't think LS1 has spoiled it for anybody :)

jma

Post by jma »

The clue about the origin of pyjamas had me wondering if it originally meant something else altogether but I see it's always meant pretty much what it means now so that clue hasn't spoiled anything for me, in that if it's not sleepwear for moggies, I'm still as much in the dark as I was before.
=============================================
They do say that curiosity killed the cat and I couldn't contain mine and so I googled it. I'm embarrassed to say that I've recently passed it a couple of times on my way to the bus station and I never noticed it. :oops:

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

I also was baffled until i looked it up.
Do hope they don't open another business called "The Dogs Bol...ks" (an expression favoured by the younger element and one i have never liked.)
Now "The Cats Whiskers" does bring back happy memories.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Judged by most responses after LS1 posted the clue I am clearly very wrong in thinking that posting would spoil the answer. As pyjamas are an Indian clothing (the word pyjama is of Persian origin) then knowing there is an Indian connection that must have easily lead to guessing an Indian food place. As there's no point now in prolonging the thread 'The Cat's Pyjamas' is an Indian street food and bar on Eastgate.

I thought the thread topic would be light hearted and bring in some fun guesses for a while, but it was not allowed to be. It's a shame that what should have been a bit of fun was not seen as such :roll:. I now wonder if any such posts of mine are welcome or not in future?

MiggyBill

Post by MiggyBill »

Leodian wrote:Judged by most responses after LS1 posted the clue I am clearly very wrong in thinking that posting would spoil the answer. As pyjamas are an Indian clothing (the word pyjama is of Persian origin) then knowing there is an Indian connection that must have easily lead to guessing an Indian food place. As there's no point now in prolonging the thread 'The Cat's Pyjamas' is an Indian street food and bar on Eastgate.

I thought the thread topic would be light hearted and bring in some fun guesses for a while, but it was not allowed to be. It's a shame that what should have been a bit of fun was not seen as such :roll:. I now wonder if any such posts of mine are welcome or not in future?
Ey up Leodian, your posts are always welcomed by myself and I suspect the same from most Secret Leedsers, (Leedsers? does that make sense?) anyway, please keep posting, I might not always log in but I look on here every day and love the site.
Take care my friend, Miggy Bill. aka BillyBritvic,