Butterfield Manor. Richmond Hill..

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
volvojack

Butterfield Manor. Richmond Hill..

Post by volvojack »

Am here in Leeds for a few days and just heard on Radio Leeds a Contractor who, whilst demolishing Butterfield Manor, an ex. Old Peoples home, found hidden in hole in the wall of a bedroom some Service Medals, bundle of letters, photo's etc. not certain of i got it correct but i think he was Ernest Johnson, born 1910, wife Sadie, they lived in a part of Domestic St, now demolished.
As i was driving i may have not got all the details correct.
This Leeds lad served sometime in North Africa during the Second World War and although i am pretty sure one of Secret Leeds members will have heard this broadcast, if not perhaps a member will take this up.
Such a poignant tale and how nice it would be for these things to be passed down to any family he may have.
Last edited by volvojack on Fri 03 Feb, 2017 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

volvojack

Re: Butterfield Manor. Richmond Hill..

Post by volvojack »

Have found out a little more about this Lad. Norman Johnson
He was in the Air Force. His Service Number was 11 00 98. Rank A.C.1. A/G. Mech. Transport.
His two letters were to his wife Sadie / Sarah who lived at Number 4. Domestic View, Holbeck Leeds 11.

Unfortunately i am not really much good on computers but maybe someone can take this on a little more.

P.s. I got this info from the man who found these Medals etc. after speaking to a girl at Radio Leeds.
He had three Medals in all, The General Service Medal 1939 to 1945...... The Italy Star........The Italian General Service Star. 1935 to 1945.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

volvojack wrote:Have found out a little more about this Lad. Norman Johnson
He was in the Air Force. His Service Number was 11 00 98. Rank A.C.1. A/G. Mech. Transport.
His two letters were to his wife Sadie / Sarah who lived at Number 4. Domestic View, Holbeck Leeds 11.

Unfortunately i am not really much good on computers but maybe someone can take this on a little more.

P.s. I got this info from the man who found these Medals etc. after speaking to a girl at Radio Leeds.
He had three Medals in all, The General Service Medal 1939 to 1945...... The Italy Star........The Italian General Service Star. 1935 to 1945.
HI Jack, are you sure it wasn't the '39-'45 Star, War Medal, and Italy Star? The General Service Medal was issued in 1962 and there isn't an "Italian General Service Star".

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Good Morning LS1. As i was getting ths information over the phone it is quite likely i got one or two incorrect. the Italy Star was O.K. and the 39- 45 Star but i thought all service men who survived a campaign got a General service medal i would think that is about right.
If you can take this any further i would be happy to pass on the phone no. of the Contractor who found these in demolition work. Regards Jack Daly.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

They would do better contacting the RAF Association who would be able to access personnel records.
Looking at Forces War Records I am unable to find a N Johnson with that service number.

Records from WW2 are quite sketchy and in many cases are not available on line.

Just to point out also that the General Service Medal was made available in 1918 (not 1962) and was to recognise service in minor Army and Air Force operations for which no separate medal was intended. 1962 was when the GSM was modified with a different back.

:arrow:
Attachments
General Service Medal 1945.jpg
General Service Medal 1945.jpg (309.86 KiB) Viewed 2652 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

LS1

Post by LS1 »

That's what I meant ;-) cheers BS.... I think the War Medal was the one in WWII that people refer to as the GSM.